PDA

View Full Version : Chandrayaan-1

LaRoza
October 21st, 2008, 10:38 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081021/ap_on_re_as/as_india_moon_mission

Quite an accomplishment.

Makes you wonder though, with all these nations setting their sights so high, if they will need space "traffic cops".

Dixon Bainbridge
October 21st, 2008, 10:40 PM
As long as the space cops are wearing tin foil uniforms, I'm happy. Everything in the future should be shiny and look like its covered in tin foil. That's the law.

ZankerH
October 21st, 2008, 10:43 PM
Gotta love how third world nationalists want to beat Russia and USA in space while the hundreds of millions of starving people in their countries are still being fed by free aid from the civilised world.

Sephoroth
October 21st, 2008, 10:43 PM
Everything in the future should be shiny

Agreed. Everything from food to people must be coated in chrome.

*Laughs maniacally*

Makes you wonder though, with all these nations setting their sights so high, if they will need space "traffic cops".

First focus on universal law :).

LaRoza
October 21st, 2008, 10:45 PM
Gotta love how third world nationalists want to beat Russia and USA in space while the hundreds of millions of starving people in their countries are still being fed by free aid from the civilised world.

India isn't a third world country. Please do not insult the people of India (or any other country, none of the countries in that article were third world or nationalistic). They are highly civilised.

China and Japan are not either. India has a lot of growth, it is the second fastest growing economy in the world, and has the 12th highest GPA.

Dixon Bainbridge
October 21st, 2008, 10:46 PM

You think there aren't people dying of starvation and poverty in America/West? Wake up.

Also, define civilisation. India practically invented civilisation. Read a fricking book.

Koori23
October 21st, 2008, 10:55 PM

I'm wondering what all the hoopla is about. The USSR put the first man in orbit, the USA put the first man on the moon. Both of which happened 40 years ago almost.

To me, neither country is particularly innovative. The chinese spacecraft is HEAVILY influenced by the Russian Soyuz spacecraft. The Indian spacecraft seems to be a mixture of American and Russian influence.

Russians and Americans sorta had to figure everything out as they went. With that came, loss of life, million dollar mistakes.. But they had to invent their way to the Moon and planets beyond.

They aren't doing anything that hasn't been done before.

smoker
October 21st, 2008, 10:58 PM
from link:
Of the 11 instruments carried by the satellite, five are Indian, three are from the European Space Agency, two from the U.S. _including radar that can search for ice under lunar poles — and one from Bulgaria.
Beyond 3-D mapping the moon and scanning for mineral deposits, the $80 million mission will test systems for a future moon landing, the Indian space agency said.

good luck to India, plus, they are sharing the endeavour, and let's face it $80 million dollars is peanuts these days, it wouldn't bale out a fourth rate bank! :-)

LaRoza
October 21st, 2008, 10:59 PM
They aren't doing anything that hasn't been done before.

India plans to get more detailed maps of the moon, as the most detailed maps are from the Apollo missions and lacked modern equipment.

The transports are not really that new, as a whole, but the equipment they carry is.

Dixon Bainbridge
October 21st, 2008, 11:04 PM
I know, let's not do anything thats already been done before....

:)

India are doing it because knowledge is power. It's a learning process. Good luck to them.

pp.
October 21st, 2008, 11:04 PM
I wish the Indians good luch and much success.

Suddenly, I think of vimanas. Weren't they mentioned in ancient Indian manuscripts?

LaRoza
October 21st, 2008, 11:07 PM
Suddenly, I think of vimanas. Weren't they mentioned in ancient Indian manuscripts?

Yes, they were.

However, Viman is the modern Indian phrase for "Airplane" I believe. (It would be spelled the same as Vimana, विमान)

I think the first mention is in the Ramayana.

Also, flying machines are mentioned in most ancient texts, leading to theories about ancient astronauts (or just common imagery)

adamogardner
October 21st, 2008, 11:15 PM
I have two things to say. First, I understand LaRoza's concern about the third world statement, but I don't think it is insulting to be in a third world country. I could find no richer culture, and no finer gentlemen, and ladies in such places as those. People are people, and if they have been denied the ability to prosper from their own natural resources (let alone engage in fair trade) then the insult strikes the heart of the industrialized empires.
Second and most important, the space race is real and has nothing to do with exploring planets so much as it is to control it. Whoever can place weapons in space rules the world. Think about it.

smoker
October 21st, 2008, 11:15 PM
don't forget about the Irish!
(strong language within)
http://www.thespoof.com/magazine/index.cfm?eID=1496
:-)

LaRoza
October 21st, 2008, 11:18 PM
I have two things to say. First, I understand LaRoza's concern about the third world statement, but I don't think it is insulting to be in a third world country. I could find no richer culture, and no finer gentlemen, and ladies in such places as those. People are people, and if they have been denied the ability to prosper from their own natural resources (let alone engage in fair trade) then the insult strikes the heart of the industrialized empires.
Second and most important, the space race is real and has nothing to do with exploring planets so much as it is to control it. Whoever can place weapons in space rules the world. Think about it.

This thread is about what I put in my first post. Not personal political beliefs or serious things like weapons in space.

adamogardner
October 21st, 2008, 11:23 PM
This thread is about what I put in my first post. Not personal political beliefs or serious things like weapons in space.

ouch, you snapped at me:(

LaRoza
October 21st, 2008, 11:27 PM
ouch, you snapped at me:(

I didn't mean to, I just don't want anyone breaking the rules (and I don't want my thread closed)

Dixon Bainbridge
October 21st, 2008, 11:30 PM
This thread needs more tin foil.

billgoldberg
October 21st, 2008, 11:39 PM
India isn't a third world country. Please do not insult the people of India (or any other country, none of the countries in that article were third world or nationalistic). They are highly civilised.

China and Japan are not either. India has a lot of growth, it is the second fastest growing economy in the world, and has the 12th highest GPA.

Sure India might not be a Thirld World country, but calling them highly civilised is another thing.

I've went to a special event in high school were we spent a day as an Indian farmer, led by people from there.

Those people are poor, very poor and they number in the millions.

The people in the city were richer, so I was told.

That and the Indian caste system is why I say they aren't highly civilised as a nation.

LaRoza
October 21st, 2008, 11:44 PM
Sure India might not be a Thirld World country, but calling them highly civilised is another thing.

They are as civilised as anyone.

Those people are poor, very poor and they number in the millions.

There are many poor people; there are many people. However, India isn't like that across the board. It is a large populous nation, with extremes on either end.

That and the Indian caste system is why I say they aren't highly civilised as a nation.

"Indian caste system". So much misinformation... It isn't everywhere.

India is highly diverse and has a lot of history. As a whole, however, it is a civilised and rather wealthy nation. It has it's share of social issues, like everyone else, but those numbers are going down, and have been for a while.

Every nation I can think of can be found to have less civilised practices. Indians may very well look at people in Europe and the Americas for being less civilised (because of different attitudes to what is appropriate for public discussion).

billgoldberg
October 21st, 2008, 11:46 PM
They are as civilised as anyone.

There are many poor people; there are many people. However, India isn't like that across the board. It is a large populous nation, with extremes on either end.

"Indian caste system". So much misinformation... It isn't everywhere.

India is highly diverse and has a lot of history. As a whole, however, it is a civilised and rather wealthy nation. It has it's share of social issues, like everyone else, but those numbers are going down, and have been for a while.

Every nation I can think of can be found to have less civilised practices. Indians may very well look at people in Europe and the Americas for being less civilised (because of different attitudes to what is appropriate for public discussion).

I knew you were going to say that, I still stand by my post.

LaRoza
October 21st, 2008, 11:48 PM
I knew you were going to say that, I still stand by my post.

You just judged over 1 billion people...

However, this thread is more about the increasing number of nations launching things into space, not the individual nations.

smoker
October 22nd, 2008, 12:19 AM
...this thread is more about the increasing number of nations launching things into space, not the individual nations.

what about the individual, anyone got a spare $200,000 :)
http://www.virgingalactic.com/flash.html?language=english

Giant Speck
October 22nd, 2008, 02:20 AM
#-o

Great, with the new detailed imagery, the Indians are going to finally discover that we faked the Apollo missions in the 70s.

:lolflag:

Grant A.
October 22nd, 2008, 02:29 AM
#-o

Great, with the new detailed imagery, the Indians are going to finally discover that we faked the Apollo missions in the 70s.

Yes, with our apparently amazing versions of photoshop back then and our ability to change 1969 into the 1970's.

We got to the moon first. Finders keepers.

adamogardner
October 22nd, 2008, 03:44 AM

However, this thread is more about the increasing number of nations launching things into space, not the individual nations.

ok, why are nations spending billions to land on the moon? I notice US tax dollars are funneled through the pentagon which deal with defense issues in the United States before it gets to NASA for space programs. I'm just curious then what are the motives for these nations to launch things into space?

LaRoza
October 22nd, 2008, 03:47 AM
ok, why are nations spending billions to land on the moon? I notice US tax dollars are funneled through the pentagon which deal with defense issues in the United States before it gets to NASA for space programs. I'm just curious then what are the motives for these nations to launch things into space?

You quoted a post of mind saying this isn't the subject of the thread.

That sounds highly political.

Read the article in the first post. It says that the money spent is returned, so it must be worth it.

Grant A.
October 22nd, 2008, 03:48 AM
I heard that somewhere there was a large amount of bauxite ore discovered in some portion of the moon. That would help the aluminum shortage out a lot.

LaRoza
October 22nd, 2008, 03:50 AM
I heard that somewhere there was a large amount of bauxite ore discovered in some portion of the moon. That would help the aluminum shortage out a lot.
Yes, however, the British would be stuck with their shortage.

Giant Speck
October 22nd, 2008, 03:55 AM
and our ability to change 1969 into the 1970's.

I don't understand this statement. Out of the six successful Apollo moon landings, only two of them (11 and 12) occurred in 1969. The remaining four (14, 15, 16, and 17) took place between 1970 and 1972.

Grant A.
October 22nd, 2008, 03:57 AM
I don't understand this statement. Out of the six successful Apollo moon landings, only two of them (11 and 12) occurred in 1969. The remaining four (14, 15, 16, and 17) took place between 1970 and 1972.

The one commonly referred to as "staged" is the famous 1969 moon landing where Neil Armstrong said, "One small step for man, one giant leap for mankind."

Giant Speck
October 22nd, 2008, 04:01 AM
The one commonly referred to as "staged" is the famous 1969 moon landing where Neil Armstrong said, "One small step for man, one giant leap for mankind."

All of the Apollo moon landings have been claimed by conspiracy theorists to be fake, not just Apollo 11. The only reason why Apollo 11 is the most common is because it is the most well-known of the six missions.

Grant A.
October 22nd, 2008, 04:03 AM
All of the Apollo moon landings have been claimed by conspiracy theorists to be fake, not just Apollo 11. The only reason why Apollo 11 is the most common is because it is the most well-known of the six missions.

My mistake then, must have been a miscommunication on my part.

LaRoza
October 22nd, 2008, 04:10 AM
My mistake then, must have been a miscommunication on my part.

Or...it could just be faked. Are you sure you really said that on this forum?

Giant Speck
October 22nd, 2008, 04:15 AM
Or...it could just be faked. Are you sure you really said that on this forum?

It would have been funnier if you had deleted his post and then posted this.

LaRoza
October 22nd, 2008, 04:52 AM
It would have been funnier if you had deleted his post and then posted this.

That would be funny, but an abuse of mod power. I try to keep abuse of power hidden.

cardinals_fan
October 22nd, 2008, 04:54 AM
I try to keep abuse of power hidden.

myusername
October 22nd, 2008, 07:06 AM
to reply to earlier posts. you can look at any nation and find poor parts of that country. india just happens to be huge so it shows more i think. but we did need new imagery. the apollo photos are def. too old

sethvath
October 22nd, 2008, 07:40 AM
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/india/3202336/India-has-more-hungry-people-than-any-other-country-in-the-world.html

Click on the link its a keylogger.

billgoldberg
October 22nd, 2008, 08:15 AM

Your are trying to be too PC.

The reasons I stated were clear and not at al condescending, just facts.

I just judged 1 billion people? No I didn't, I stated facts, that's not judging, that's stating facts.

Never mind, I've been on this road before, I won't comment on this subject anymore.

sloggerkhan
October 22nd, 2008, 08:21 AM
Anybody seen the anime planetes? It's totally about space development. Love it.
Outside of that, maybe we'll see some space-nations in out lifetimes! I'd love to have a space station.

kernelhaxor
October 22nd, 2008, 11:38 AM
Good luck to India!

Thats a like saying since racism exists here, we are not civilized! .. the law in India prohibits discrimination based on caste .. Every country has social & economic issues .. You can be poor and still civilized .. I am sure you didnt judge people 'very poor' by converting their incomes into USD/EUR .. As you might know, living expenses there are a lot different there compared to here ..
No offense intended.

Anyway, back to the topic now!

ashmew2
October 22nd, 2008, 02:26 PM
Well ive read most posts showing people's lack of knowledge of the current state of India and I would just like to say that the imbalances (be it economical,commercial,etc) are in every country from the US to Japan to India to Pakistan to Bangladesh. You just cant call Indians "poor" .
And AFAIK , the richest man on the planet was "some Ambani guy from India !"
"But omg they are so poor how can it be ! "
See here : http://www.business-standard.com/india/storypage.php?autono=29448&tp=on

Chandrayaan-1 is the first unmanned spaceship launched by India. (These were the very words in a newspaper today).

Oh and yes , about the caste system of India.
Those are ancient things (although they are still rampant in villages) , Most of the people have come to see people of different castes as human beings and not "Beings belonging to one caste". I can say so because ive lived here for 16 years. Isnt there still racial discrimination in many parts of the US/UK ? And not to mention the treatment given to people if they are not of the same race in some more places.
People really need to try and think about the perfection of their own motherland (Fatherland for Germans) before calling some other Nations Uncivilized.

Conversations like these just get on my nerves..

No Offence.

And yes , about the topic , Chandrayaan-I is one of the most promising projects for India on the International/Interplanetary level. :D

The Lunar Embassy is selling land on the moon....And You cant sell something unless its yours..So indirectly they say that the land on the moon is their property...But how ? :lolflag:

jespdj
October 22nd, 2008, 02:39 PM
Yay for Chandrayaan!

I heard about it on a podcast from ESA (the European Space Agency). They're working with India on this project.

Europe all set for lunar mission Chandrayaan-1 (http://www.esa.int/esaCP/SEMM0RQ4KKF_index_0.html)

25 September 2008
Europe is participating in a big way in the Indian Space Agency’s Chandrayaan-1 mission to the Moon, by contributing three instruments. All these instruments have now been delivered, tested and integrated with the spacecraft.

Canis familiaris
October 22nd, 2008, 03:05 PM
EDITED: (for sake of avoiding arguments)

Yay for Chandrayaan.

smoker
October 22nd, 2008, 03:08 PM
congratulations to India on successful launch :-)
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/1282880.stm

looks like they'll be looking for a return on their investment launching satelites.

If the rest of the operation proves successful, India could start making a considerable income from commercial satellite launches.

ashmew2
October 22nd, 2008, 03:10 PM
Yay for Chandrayaan!

I heard about it on a podcast from ESA (the European Space Agency). They're working with India on this project.

Europe all set for lunar mission Chandrayaan-1 (http://www.esa.int/esaCP/SEMM0RQ4KKF_index_0.html)

I guess People/Nations of the world need to work together to explore the infinites of the space and to know more about the evolution of life and the evolution of the universe.

LaRoza
October 22nd, 2008, 04:56 PM
Your are trying to be too PC.

The reasons I stated were clear and not at al condescending, just facts.

I just judged 1 billion people? No I didn't, I stated facts, that's not judging, that's stating facts.

Never mind, I've been on this road before, I won't comment on this subject anymore.

I am trying to avoid skirting the boundaries of the purpose of this forum. I would love to have debated the pros/cons of space exploration versus social duty, the state of India/China/Japan, the meaning of "civilised", etc, but this thread isn't the place for it. You did make some points that would make good discussion, but alas, this forum wasn't the place for it.

the law in India prohibits discrimination based on caste .. Every country has social & economic issues .. You can be poor and still civilized .. I am sure you didnt judge people 'very poor' by converting their incomes into USD/EUR .. As you might know, living expenses there are a lot different there compared to here ..
No offense intended.

+1. Speaking of expenses, I'd love to take my dollars there... Yesterday I did a comparison (because I was confused over paise) and found that rs and dollars were very different. I routinely get $20 bills, yet am strapped for money.

Well ive read most posts showing people's lack of knowledge of the current state of India and I would just like to say that the imbalances (be it economical,commercial,etc) are in every country from the US to Japan to India to Pakistan to Bangladesh. You just cant call Indians "poor" .

[quote]
Oh and yes , about the caste system of India.
Those are ancient things (although they are still rampant in villages) , Most of the people have come to see people of different castes as human beings and not "Beings belonging to one caste". I can say so because ive lived here for 16 years. Isnt there still racial discrimination in many parts of the US/UK ?

Also, castes don't exist much in southern India right? Tamil Nadu-ian people don't even have last names.

I also heard that previously discriminated castes are getting "affirmative action", and have more oppurtunities for education.

Like India, racial discrimination is illegal (personal prejudices are not, but certain acts are) in the US. However, that doesn't mean it can't be a problem. I think though most discrimination would be towards social status (how much money) rather than race.

And yes , about the topic , Chandrayaan-I is one of the most promising projects for India on the International/Interplanetary level. :D

The Lunar Embassy is selling land on the moon....And You cant sell something unless its yours..So indirectly they say that the land on the moon is their property...But how ? :lolflag:

No offence, but I hope they don't get to the aliens first... It will be hard to have relations with aliens with Indian accents (assuming they are taught your language, or taught english by Indians).

However, if people are going to bicker over real estate on the moon, they must be in some really deep trouble on Earth (yet, have a lot of money)

armageddon08
October 22nd, 2008, 05:27 PM
Many Yays for Chandrayaan-1.:):)

arunvir
October 23rd, 2008, 08:22 PM
Me, being an Indian makes me happy and sad at this point...........

All these advancements in science and still the national leaders here try to get votes by using linguistic and caste.

The scientific, technological and army sector are the few to be left away from caste and quotas.

The recent drama in politics in my country is the worst in its longest history . The so-called leaders are less concerned about the national requirements and its people and more on making sure their vote bank is secured during the next election. one day they come with a law imposing restrictions on current usage and next day they take it back. In my state, the state govt gave around a million TV sets to poor people. Most of the poor who got it, didn't even have jobs.

Well, very few people from the political arena have congratulated this achievement by ISRO. They don't even care to pay the scientists and army men properly. Very recently the annual salary of an army man was reduced further by 1/3 of their previous in each ranks. already they had the lowest salary.

Caste problem for me is never going away with the politicians. It falls on young guys like me to underplay it and act like it never was there or it doesn't matter us. I do feel sad. But know nothing can be done.

I think ISRO have planned everything perfectly. Everything will go well. Just hope that this global financial meltdown stops at least down. Many are becoming poppers and beggars in my country. and I ain't getting any call on Date of Joining from the IT company where I was placed during recruitment!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:guitar::guitar::guitar::guitar::lolflag:

ashmew2
October 24th, 2008, 07:09 PM
Also, castes don't exist much in southern India right? Tamil Nadu-ian people don't even have last names.

Yeah castes are not so prevalent in south India as compared to other parts. But im pretty sure that they have a last name .People from Tamil Nadu and Sri Lanka are more or less the same (because of the geographical closeness).

I also heard that previously discriminated castes are getting "affirmative action", and have more oppurtunities for education.

Yeah there's a "quota" for all Scheduled Castes and "Other Backward Classes" which is 49.5% ...It is the source of much debate in India because it quite closely exhibits the characters of Reverse Discrimination (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reverse_discrimination).

No offence, but I hope they don't get to the aliens first... It will be hard to have relations with aliens with Indian accents (assuming they are taught your language, or taught english by Indians).

Haha , Yeah well , Ill admit that the more common Indian accent of English makes me roll over laughing sometimes... :lolflag:

jeyaganesh
October 24th, 2008, 07:53 PM
But im pretty sure that they have a last name .People from Tamil Nadu and Sri Lanka are more or less the same (because of the geographical closeness).

Haha , Yeah well , Ill admit that the more common Indian accent of English makes me roll over laughing sometimes... :lolflag:

I am from Tamil Nadu, South India. We dont have any last or family name until this globalization. There is custom of naming children after their grandfather or grandmother. It was our long tradition. Our old Kings were named after their forefathers with the suffix of I,II, etc.

Regarding Indians English pronunciation.....
Most of the common Indians study in English medium schools. But we dont speak English in India. Only high-class people (economically rich and highly educated family) only speak in English with their family members. They think it is prestige and knowledgeable to speak English. They insist their children to speak in English even at their 2 or 3 years. Reason they told is' 'English only give their children job and money in future'.

They dont give respect to their mother tongue. It is really disgusting. I only realized the real power of the mother tongue after coming to the Europe. The people learn using their mother tongue shine better.

We use lot of English words with our mother tongue. English words mingled with our language. Thats why when we speak English, we pronounce it in our language phonetics. Moreover we learnt English in our language style.

If you talk with Germans in English, you might notice some of them speak English in American accent. I heard that they are taught English in American accent.

It is nice to write and speak about all our cultures.:lolflag:

arunvir
October 24th, 2008, 09:58 PM
Jeyaganesh is right regarding names and the linguistic way of each state people speaking english in their own style.

I'm from tamilnadu as well........
I'm from chennai........ where are you from ganesh??

LaRoza
October 25th, 2008, 02:44 AM
Yeah there's a "quota" for all Scheduled Castes and "Other Backward Classes" which is 49.5% ...It is the source of much debate in India because it quite closely exhibits the characters of Reverse Discrimination (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reverse_discrimination).

Yes, I learned of it from someone in a "higher" caste who was upset about it because he was unable to get to go to the school he wanted.

I am normally against "affirmative action", but I feel it is necessary if the society itself will actively discriminate. Perhaps a generation of righting it will be good in the long term.

Haha , Yeah well , Ill admit that the more common Indian accent of English makes me roll over laughing sometimes...

Exactly. It would do no good for the various heads of states to laugh at the aliens :-)

Regarding Indians English pronunciation.....
Most of the common Indians study in English medium schools. But we dont speak English in India. Only high-class people (economically rich and highly educated family) only speak in English with their family members. They think it is prestige and knowledgeable to speak English. They insist their children to speak in English even at their 2 or 3 years. Reason they told is' 'English only give their children job and money in future'.

They dont give respect to their mother tongue. It is really disgusting. I only realized the real power of the mother tongue after coming to the Europe. The people learn using their mother tongue shine better.

That is a shame. ("coming to europe", by the way).

I'm learning Hindi, so there is a balance I think.

I've looked at Tamil before, that language is quite...hard. Your script, grammar, the endings...

We use lot of English words with our mother tongue. English words mingled with our language. Thats why when we speak English, we pronounce it in our language phonetics. Moreover we learnt English in our language style.

I know. It makes sense. English speaking people do the same to Indian words, although I think we use less Indian words (from the various languages) than Indians use English words.

It can be amusing (once I started learning Hindi) to hear them in English.

If you talk with Germans in English, you might notice some of them speak English in American accent. I heard that they are taught English in American accent.

Which is the best accent.

It is nice to write and speak about all our cultures.

Its nice to learn about them :-) Thanks.

The internet is quite neat. We can all communicate with each other from all over the place.

Giant Speck
October 25th, 2008, 02:55 AM
Which is the best accent.

That greatly depends on where in America the accent is coming from.

In my honest (and somewhat biased) opinion, I believe that the North Midland dialect is the best-sounding of all the North American English regional phonologies, because it sounds so plain.

LaRoza
October 25th, 2008, 02:57 AM
That greatly depends on where in America the accent is coming from.

In my honest (and somewhat biased) opinion, I believe that the North Midland dialect is the best-sounding of all the North American English regional phonologies, because it sounds so plain.

"General American" it is called.

I am mixed. Strong accents are usually not very good for communication. I like minor accents in people. Speaking pure "General American" is boring. A small accent, any accent, adds flavour without making it hard to understand.

Giant Speck
October 25th, 2008, 03:01 AM
"General American" it is called.

I am mixed. Strong accents are usually not very good for communication. I like minor accents in people. Speaking pure "General American" is boring. A small accent, any accent, adds flavour without making it hard to understand.

Well, I said North Midland because it is the closest dialect to General American without actually being called General American. There are subtle differences between North Midland and General American, but I like both of them.

But you are right, if an accent is slight enough to not cause a misunderstanding, then accents are nice. For example, my favorite accents are Russian and British, as long as they are slight.

Also, someone with an Indian or Chinese accent that has a lot of British influence to the pronunciation sounds really nice.

ashmew2
October 25th, 2008, 09:16 AM
Ahem ..

I think we all should take a look at the topic title now :P

jeyaganesh
October 25th, 2008, 11:49 PM
I've looked at Tamil before, that language is quite...hard. Your script, grammar, the endings...

Tamil is a tasty language. Yes, it gives such a satisfaction like you eating, when reading tamil language. One of our great writer once told 'if you want to experience the greatness of our language 'Tamil', you should born as a 'Tamilan' (people whose mother tongue is Tamil).

Sanskrit is another fantastic Indian language. All our old Hindu literature are in Sanskrit. Tamil and Sanskrit are unique and oldest languages.
Hindi might came from Sanskrit and it also mingled with lot of Arabic words. It might due to the Mughal (Muslim) rulers.

jeyaganesh
October 25th, 2008, 11:53 PM
Jeyaganesh is right regarding names and the linguistic way of each state people speaking english in their own style.

I'm from tamilnadu as well........
I'm from chennai........ where are you from ganesh??

Hi I am from Madurai.

LaRoza
October 26th, 2008, 12:07 AM
Tamil is a tasty language. Yes, it gives such a satisfaction like you eating, when reading tamil language. One of our great writer once told 'if you want to experience the greatness of our language 'Tamil', you should born as a 'Tamilan' (people whose mother tongue is Tamil).

Interesting...

Sanskrit is another fantastic Indian language. All our old Hindu literature are in Sanskrit. Tamil and Sanskrit are unique and oldest languages.
Hindi might came from Sanskrit and it also mingled with lot of Arabic words. It might due to the Mughal (Muslim) rulers.

Hindi is a mix of Sanskrit and Persian words mostly, with Portuguese, English and Arabic on the side.

ashmew2
October 26th, 2008, 04:27 PM
Dont forget Urdu! Its considered the most polite language around India!

LaRoza
October 26th, 2008, 04:38 PM
Dont forget Urdu! Its considered the most polite language around India!

Hindi/Urdu are the same language in my eyes, just with different emphasis on Persian/Sanskrit.

I think Urdu's "most polite" status comes from the elite nature of the Persian rulers. Urdu: The languages of the camps.

freddieMaize
February 10th, 2009, 08:13 AM
Hindi/Urdu are the same language in my eyes, just with different emphasis on Persian/Sanskrit.

I think Urdu's "most polite" status comes from the elite nature of the Persian rulers. Urdu: The languages of the camps.

The topic has evolved too much.. To a great extent… You know to what extend?? Just look at the title and then the content (Body)… :lol: Way off topic… Anyways this is also interesting…

Sorry to open this dead thread again… Reason why I starting the whole thing again is,,,

“Did we really landed on the Moon??”… I seriously doubt it… So in that case the space is still ON. Just, would like to know others view on this…

Freddie

armageddon08
February 10th, 2009, 09:07 AM
The topic has evolved too much.. To a great extent… You know to what extend?? Just look at the title and then the content (Body)… :lol: Way off topic… Anyways this is also interesting…

Sorry to open this dead thread again… Reason why I starting the whole thing again is,,,

“Did we really landed on the Moon??”… I seriously doubt it… So in that case the space is still ON. Just, would like to know others view on this…

Freddie

+ 1 for "Did we really land on the moon ??"

jespdj
February 10th, 2009, 09:36 AM
-2 for you moon hoax believers (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_Moon_Landing_hoax_accusations)! :x

Oh well, people have strange hobbies sometimes, and some people have believing in conspiracy theories as a hobby...

amitabhishek
February 10th, 2009, 09:47 AM
Don't we love such (conspiracy) theories (http://listverse.com/miscellaneous/top-10-conspiracy-theories/). :)

freddieMaize
February 10th, 2009, 11:27 AM
-2 for you moon hoax believers (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_Moon_Landing_hoax_accusations)! :x

Oh well, people have strange hobbies sometimes, and some people have believing in conspiracy theories as a hobby...

Hello jespdj, those are just my opinions. Well, everyone has their rights to have their own views. This is mine. Well I hate arguing. However I would happly welcome healthy discussions. But not a one like the above ;). And mind you, just a link to Wikipedia doesn’t mean you have fixed my doubt :lol: May be I would believe the statement only when we land on it the next/first time (depends ;)) I repeat, I never said we landed or did not land at all. I only have doubts. Time will clarify my doubts. Now just looking for views NOT looking for faces to be thrown at me :).

jespdj
February 10th, 2009, 11:44 AM
You can believe whatever you want, but believing in conspiracy theories is a useless waste of time in my opinion.

freddieMaize
February 10th, 2009, 11:57 AM
You can believe whatever you want, but believing in conspiracy theories is a useless waste of time in my opinion.

Oh.. I see sir... May be, believing that the statement to be conspiracy is also a waste of time ;) "in MY opinion"...

armageddon08
February 10th, 2009, 12:00 PM
Who knows "The Moon Landing" was not a conspiracy itself...??

mips
February 10th, 2009, 01:09 PM
The topic has evolved too much.. To a great extent… You know to what extend?? Just look at the title and then the content (Body)… :lol: Way off topic…

The individual you are quoting/replying to has been banned....

handy
February 10th, 2009, 01:18 PM
Who knows "The Moon Landing" was not a conspiracy itself...??

You may enjoy the info' on this site as it tears apart the moon landing conspiracy theory:

http://www.badastronomy.com/bad/tv/foxapollo.html

sharathpaps
February 11th, 2009, 02:29 AM
I thought I'd add my two paisa (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paisa) worth to the discussion -

On why Chandrayaan is different : Every single chip, every transistor, every IC on the on-board guidance system and other subsystems on the Chandrayaan has been concieved, designed and fabricated by Indians in India. This is an achievement for a country that has had to completely, mostly or partially depend, in the past, on technology from other more developed countries for its scientific projects. Now with Chandrayaan, India is piggy-backing scientific projects for other nations in the interest of science and for funds. It has required decades of dedicated effort, entire lifetimes by people across the length and breadth of the country to realize this dream. For example, the catalyst required for the solid state propellant used in various launch vehicles is made by one remarkable simple individual in the whole country. This vital chemical is made under directions by this person in a nondescript backyard barn barely 30 kilometers from my place by workers who can't spell 'rocket'!! I've had the good fortune to meet this person and needless to say, he left me speechless.

True, India faces many other problems. Poverty, casteism, gender discrimination and more. But steps are being taken in the right direction. Each new generation is breaking barriers and making progress. Nothing is as bad as it is portryed to be.

<rant>The biggest problem of all are the morally bankrupt, corrupt, uneducated politicians</rant> But we've survived in spite of them for so long and will continue to do so in the future.

I'm sorry if my post sounds like a speech on Independance Day. :-)

freddieMaize
February 11th, 2009, 08:20 AM
The individual you are quoting/replying to has been banned....

You mean LaRoza?? Banned?? for going away from the topic?? Good God. People get banned for this and all eh?? Pathetic and horrifying...

You may enjoy the info' on this site as it tears apart the moon landing conspiracy theory:
Handy link ;)

Wait a minute. Will i be banned for taking something else with Chandrayaan-1 as a title?? [-o< NO PLEASE... iM YET TO TRY UBUNTU ITSELF.. nOT BEFORE THAT.. pLEASE [-o<

handy
February 11th, 2009, 10:06 AM
You mean LaRoza?? Banned?? for going away from the topic?? Good God. People get banned for this and all eh?? Pathetic and horrifying...

Here is the forum administrations statement on Laroza's extinction:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=6155490&postcount=1310

Only the forum administration thought that it was a good idea.

The entire Ubuntu forums lost a huge resource when LaRoza was extinguished.

Handy link ;)

Wait a minute. Will i be banned for taking something else with Chandrayaan-1 as a title?? [-o< NO PLEASE... iM YET TO TRY UBUNTU ITSELF.. nOT BEFORE THAT.. pLEASE [-o<

No, settle down, the forum administration makes very few mistakes, they do a magnificent job, they just happened to slip up & make a BIG mistake with LaRoza. :-|

jespdj
February 11th, 2009, 10:23 AM
The reason LaRoza was banned was not because of going off-topic. I don't know the exact reason and it's not a good idea to start a discussion about it here. But she did try to do something that she seriously shouldn't have done (see the post that handy links to: "...a staff account compromised by another forum member, LaRoza").

handy
February 11th, 2009, 10:24 AM
The reason LaRoza was banned was not because of going off-topic. I don't know the exact reason and it's not a good idea to start a discussion about it here. But she did try to do something that she seriously shouldn't have done.

If you want to know the exact reason then read the link I posted above?

I'll find another link & post it in a moment; it gives LaRoza's side of the story.

freddieMaize
February 11th, 2009, 10:42 AM
The reason LaRoza was banned was not because of going off-topic. I don't know the exact reason and it's not a good idea to start a discussion about it here. But she did try to do something that she seriously shouldn't have done (see the post that handy links to: "...a staff account compromised by another forum member, LaRoza").

The reason for sure is not going away from the topic. If that is the case then we all will be banned for discussing something in the name of Chandrayaan-1

The person seems to be a great contributor. The number of posting says it all. Poor LaRoza :(

I'll find another link & post it in a moment; it gives LaRoza's side of the story.
Please....

handy
February 11th, 2009, 10:48 AM
Here is LaRoza's run down on the circumstances surrounding her expunging from the Ubuntu forums, in her own words:

http://laroza77.blogspot.com/2008/11/ubuntuforumsorg-banning.html

I think that it was a sad day, & that it should never of happened, though I must say that it was strangely quite noticeable at the time that LaRoza had obviously grown somewhat tired of the Ubuntu forums, which is understandable, when the absolutely huge contribution that she made is taken into consideration.

Then all of a sudden the beaurocratic crap knocked her out of OUR game, when it really should have bent to accomodate the reality of the situation.

These forums, & particularly the Ubuntu community has suffered a great loss since LaRoza was taken away from US.

There really is nothing left to be said on the matter apart from the fact, that I am quite sure that LaRoza is feeling quite a bit lighter after having been relieved from the Ubuntu forums addiction. :-D Power on LaRoza.