PDA

View Full Version : If you don't use Ubuntu, why use the forum?

forrestcupp
October 21st, 2008, 05:22 PM
If you aren't an Ubuntu user, what is your main reason for hanging out at the forum? We'll just assume that most of us have used Ubuntu at one time.

Personally, I've used Ubuntu since Breezy and I continue to dual boot with the latest versions of Ubuntu, but I find myself needing to use Windows more. I frequent the forums because of the excellent community.

Edit:
I forgot to add the option "To evangelize another OS/Distro"

ZankerH
October 21st, 2008, 05:54 PM
I've stopped using Ubuntu for about a year a few months after I first stumbled upon this place (moved back to Debian), but I kept lurking around here. I picked it up again when Hardy was released, but I was always here. :)

Murrquan
October 21st, 2008, 05:55 PM
I used to hang out here occasionally even though I used Windows XP and Fedora. It's just a nice place. ^.^ People are always talking about interesting things.

Tristam Green
October 21st, 2008, 06:02 PM
I use Ubuntu, and I'll vote if I darn well please.

I used to hang out here occasionally even though I used Windows XP and Fedora. It's just a nice place. ^.^ People are always talking about interesting things.

Do you still play FFXI, and if so, what world are you on?

sub2007
October 21st, 2008, 06:15 PM
If you aren't an Ubuntu user, what is your main reason for hanging out at the forum? We'll just assume that most of us have used Ubuntu at one time.

Personally, I've used Ubuntu since Breezy and I continue to dual boot with the latest versions of Ubuntu, but I find myself needing to use Windows more. I frequent the forums because of the excellent community.

Edit:
I forgot to add the option "To evangelize another OS/Distro"

I've moved to Arch but I used Ubuntu for about 2 years and it was because of this forum that I found out about Arch. My main reasons are:

1. this is a great community and I like reading the threads here
2. there is a large Arch subforum here, so a lot of what is discussed there helps me
3. Ubuntu gave a lot to me and I still want to help give a little back to them by helping out in threads here where I can.

So I think I can tick the box for Excellent Community, help applies to my distro and (partly) to evangelize another distro :P

chucky chuckaluck
October 21st, 2008, 06:23 PM
free coffee.

sethvath
October 21st, 2008, 06:31 PM
I see 4 roasted beans and 1 half baked one. Where's the coffee.

karellen
October 21st, 2008, 06:32 PM
because of the community

hessiess
October 21st, 2008, 06:33 PM
Im mostly using Arch, but i still read this forum because of the art/programming sections, and the café of course ;)

fballem
October 21st, 2008, 06:34 PM
free coffee.

This must be the 'virtual java' blend:lolflag:

I've been using ubuntu in single boot mode since mid-May. Like the proverbial swimming lesson, I just jumped in with both feet.

When I've encountered a problem, I just ask and I'll usually get an answer back fairly quickly. I have also found that I can help on the odd occasion, although I have to be careful of the 'little knowledge' syndrome

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

andrek
October 21st, 2008, 06:36 PM
I moved to Arch, but I decided to stay here just because of the brilliant community.

benny bronx
October 21st, 2008, 06:39 PM
Internet explorer kept redirecting me to this forum, so I figured I might as well sign up.

mthei
October 21st, 2008, 06:42 PM
Running Debian, I find that I'm able to find solutions for the few problems that I have had here, which helps because I'm not a huge fan of the Debian forums. The only Linux-related sites that I find I can read without cringing are this and the Fedora forums.

forrestcupp
October 21st, 2008, 06:54 PM
Internet explorer kept redirecting me to this forum, so I figured I might as well sign up.

:lol: That's the best answer yet.

smartboyathome
October 21st, 2008, 07:37 PM
Well, I use Ubuntu and Arch on and off depending on what machine I use, and even when I'm not using it, this is still a nice community.

blakjesus
October 21st, 2008, 07:41 PM
Running Debian, I find that I'm able to find solutions for the few problems that I have had here, which helps because I'm not a huge fan of the Debian forums. The only Linux-related sites that I find I can read without cringing are this and the Fedora forums.

It is Linux for human beings. ;)

will1911a1
October 21st, 2008, 07:42 PM
I like the community and the Arch subforum.

leafdog
October 21st, 2008, 07:44 PM
Bill Gates recommended me this forum, i never looked back :lolflag:

ubuntu27
October 21st, 2008, 07:49 PM

Are you joking or someone was trying to evangelize you? :lolflag:

As for me, .. I got addicted to this forums, I visit it everyday without a reason.

LaRoza
October 21st, 2008, 07:50 PM
Because I am paid to.

Dr Small
October 21st, 2008, 07:51 PM
I don't use Ubuntu anymore. I'm an ArchLinux user.
But I stay at the forums because I am on the Beginners Team, and my friends are here, I love to help, and I love the community. Questions asked are generally the same no matter which distro, so it's not like I can't answer questions anymore.

I stay because of the community.

jeyaganesh
October 21st, 2008, 07:54 PM
Just to know latest news about linux world.

yabbadabbadont
October 21st, 2008, 07:55 PM
For the word game threads mostly. I do, however, occasionally point noobs in the right direction when they have issues. I generally stay away from trying to help with any advanced issues as I no longer have an Ubuntu system with which I can test possible solutions.

Raffles10
October 21st, 2008, 08:10 PM
I use Mint, which is a Ubuntu derivative, so all the stuff here still applies, and this place is much more active than the Mint forums, probably because all the Mint users are here...):P

urukrama
October 21st, 2008, 08:13 PM
I once started a thread with the very same question (and a slightly more detailed poll). You can find it here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=699382

SomeGuyDude
October 21st, 2008, 08:38 PM
I don't use the "technical" areas of the forum any more outside of the "Other OS Talk", but the Cafe is easily my favorite Linux chitchat forum. It's active, the people are cool, and it accommodates all users.

Phreaker
October 21st, 2008, 09:41 PM
The Ubuntu Forums are exceptional!I browse them daily, because of the vast knowledge.

handy
October 22nd, 2008, 12:03 AM
The Ubuntu forums helped me through all of my Linux based problems when I became a user.

I put a lot of time in, in the technical side of the forum helping wherever I could, until eventually the technical stuff lost its lustre. This happened to coincide with my discovery of the now defunct BY forum, where I found much stimulation, camaraderie & even made a few friends. :-D

I still use Ubuntu sometimes, I'm not currently, though I look at each new version for however long. Arch has won me over. Though without Ubuntu I would never have found Arch. I don't evangelise, choice is an integral part of freedom. The Arch section here is very helpful.

So I would vote for the first four choices, which is probably impossible, so I will have to wrap it up with the community. :guitar:

cardinals_fan
October 22nd, 2008, 12:58 AM
This forum is busy, and I like to visit and participate in an active community.

simtaalo
October 22nd, 2008, 01:06 AM
probably because all the Mint users are here...):P

yup i know i am :KS

i do browse the mint forums, but not as often as here. they are the same thing anyway.

there is mostly a good community here.

SomeGuyDude
October 22nd, 2008, 01:31 AM
I still use Ubuntu sometimes, I'm not currently, though I look at each new version for however long. Arch has won me over. Though without Ubuntu I would never have found Arch. I don't evangelise, choice is an integral part of freedom. The Arch section here is very helpful.

EXCELLENT point. The forums here are really open to all distros. Which isn't to say that on others they're dogmatic, but the massive base here has fostered an atmosphere where users of all distros are gathered and are more than happy to help with "distro-hunting".

To be frank, the UF's are less of "Ubuntu Forums" as, it seems, Linux forums that primarily talk about Ubuntu, know what I mean?

frankleeee
October 22nd, 2008, 01:47 AM
I'm just waiting to find out the gender of LaRoza. ;)

kk0sse54
October 22nd, 2008, 02:00 AM
I use a combination of FreeBSD and Arch why shouldn't I use this forum it's got without a doubt a great community :)

Old_Grey_Wolf
October 22nd, 2008, 02:01 AM
EXCELLENT point. The forums here are really open to all distros. Which isn't to say that on others they're dogmatic, but the massive base here has fostered an atmosphere where users of all distros are gathered and are more than happy to help with "distro-hunting".

To be frank, the UF's are less of "Ubuntu Forums" as, it seems, Linux forums that primarily talk about Ubuntu, know what I mean?

+1

I agree; however, the forums are more open than to just Linux distros.

The Community is helpful to people that want to use MS Windows in a dual boot environment. The Community is also helpful to those that want to switch back to MS Windows when Ubuntu doesn't work for them, provided they ask for help, and are nice about it.

LaRoza
October 22nd, 2008, 03:04 AM
I'm just waiting to find out the gender of LaRoza. ;)

Browsing this forum isn't the way to do it ;)

You have to try to stalk me.

sertse
October 22nd, 2008, 03:12 AM
At least the Arch users are honest, many many those evangelists here :P

As for myself, I use Ubuntu for one of my comps, so it's obvious. Though, it's also because these forums are by far the most active, thus a good place to find out linux/techy stuff.

frankleeee
October 22nd, 2008, 03:15 AM

You have to try to stalk me.

I thought somebody else was doing the stalking, waiting at the bus stop to catch a glimpse. Actually I picture you more as a higher power, gender is indeterminate. ;)

LaRoza
October 22nd, 2008, 03:16 AM
I thought somebody else was doing the stalking, waiting at the bus stop to catch a glimpse.[quote]
Yes, but he is always watching the wrong route, the n00b.

[quote]
Actually I picture you more as a higher power, gender is indeterminate. ;)
As it should be.

SuperSonic4
October 22nd, 2008, 03:17 AM
Advice applies
Great Community

forrestcupp
October 22nd, 2008, 02:22 PM
I'm just waiting to find out the gender of LaRoza. ;)I forgot about that option. :)

You have to try to stalk me.Sure it is. Without the forum, we wouldn't know you. We also wouldn't know valuable information about you, that I thought better about listing, that would aid someone to be able to stalk you. ;)

And why do so many people think Arch is so much better than Ubuntu?

hessiess
October 22nd, 2008, 03:52 PM

Its easier to customize, and has less stuff that your never going to use.

sub2007
October 22nd, 2008, 07:44 PM

Because it works better for us than Ubuntu. Ubuntu is still a great distro but I found that it was time to move on - I was finding too many things I didn't like with it and wanted more control over my system than Ubuntu could give me. My main reasons for liking Arch are that you build it from scratch which means you only get what you want rather then spend ages removing things you don't want, yet it's still binary based which is advantageous over Gentoo. It's less bloated and therefore boots in less time. It's rolling release which means you don't have to reinstall it every six months and updates arrive when they are ready. That means you get the latest software when it's ready, not having to wait for the next release. It also has an awesome package manager which I think is much better than apt. You also learn a lot more about Linux I find as you have to develop your system from scratch.

I have to say that I have tried nearly all the major distros and nothing won me over until I found Arch. I wasn't even expecting to like it when I first tried it.

Lazarus500
October 22nd, 2008, 09:49 PM
I see 4 roasted beans and 1 half baked one. Where's the coffee.

Chucky's been reincarnated at least once. He actually has many more beans, and coffee, than what's shown.

Regarding this thread, I use Ubuntu at home, Debian Lenny at the office. Because so many people use the Ubuntu forums/a, the amount and quality of information available is impressive. On the other hand, the Debian forums don't have nearly as much visitation, and so it's sometimes not the best place for problem solving; in fact, I often will include the word "ubuntu" when googling something for Lenny. Because they're both Debian-based, most of the Ubuntu stuff is relevant.

Northsider
October 22nd, 2008, 09:51 PM
When I wasn't using Ubuntu I still came here and just hung out. I'm a bit of a forum-***** and any forum with lots of posts keeps me interested.