PDA

View Full Version : Keyboard sniffers to steal data

Sporkman
October 21st, 2008, 04:32 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7681534.stm

Keyboard sniffers to steal data

BBC: Computer criminals could soon be eavesdropping on what you type by analysing the electromagnetic signals produced by every key press.

By analysing the signals produced by keystrokes, Swiss researchers have reproduced what a target typed.

The security researchers have developed four attacks that work on a wide variety of computer keyboards.

The results led the researchers to declare keyboards were "not safe to transmit sensitive information".

Better attacks

The attacks were dreamed up by doctoral students Martin Vuagnoux and Sylvain Pasini from the Security and Cryptography Laboratory at the Swiss Ecole Polytechnique Federale de Lausanne (EPFL).

The EPFL students tested 11 different keyboard models that connected to a computer via either a USB or a PS/2 socket. The attacks they developed also worked with keyboards embedded in laptops.

Every keyboard tested was vulnerable to at least one of the four attacks the researchers used. One attack was shown to work over a distance of 20 metres.

In their work the researchers used a radio antenna to "fully or partially recover keystrokes" by spotting the electromagnetic radiation emitted when keys were pressed.

In a web posting they added: "no doubt that our attacks can be significantly improved, since we used relatively unexpensive equipments [sic]."

In videos showing their early work the researchers are seen connecting keyboards to a laptop running on battery power. They avoided using a desktop computer or an LCD display to minimise the chance of picking up signals from other sources.

Details of the attacks are scant but the work is expected to be reported in a peer-reviewed journal soon.

The research builds on earlier work done by University of Cambridge computer scientist Markus Kuhn who looked at ways to use electromagnetic emanations to eavesdrop and steal useful information.

DFlame
October 21st, 2008, 04:41 PM
I can't see this ever becoming a widespread problem. It seems too easy to garble the signals, and when placed in an environment where multiple devices are running..... you get the picture.

That said, it's an interesting concept.

DFlame

beercz
October 21st, 2008, 04:59 PM
Could the same thing apply to pin numbers for ATMs or Chip & Pin devices I wonder?

billgoldberg
October 21st, 2008, 05:27 PM
Pff, if you ask people their passwords, most of them will give you them (a little trickery is needed).

Dr Small
October 21st, 2008, 05:35 PM
I read about it on Slashdot yesterday. Sounds somewhat interesting, but I could probably interrupt the electromagnetic field and ruin the eavesdropper attempt to capture my login.

tgalati4
October 21st, 2008, 05:52 PM
That's precisely why I wear a tinfoil hat and run an electric razor while typing in a coffee shop.

Rest the razor on a mousepad so it doesn't make so much noise.

Tristam Green
October 21st, 2008, 06:04 PM
Problem solved folks.

No sound, no electrical impulse from each key. (http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/input/8193/)

markp1989
October 21st, 2008, 06:06 PM
Problem solved folks.

No sound, no electrical impulse from each key. (http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/input/8193/)

im prety sure that that keyboard isnt very good for your health

Sam
October 21st, 2008, 09:44 PM
im prety sure that that keyboard isnt very good for your health

Why not ? As long as you don't look directly at the laser source...

markp1989
October 21st, 2008, 11:14 PM
Why not ? As long as you don't look directly at the laser source...

i ment rsi, or somthing similar, becuase the flat service will have no give

NovaAesa
October 21st, 2008, 11:24 PM
i ment rsi, or somthing similar, becuase the flat service will have no give

There would be no tactile response either, which I imagine would make it harder to type with.

DrMega
October 22nd, 2008, 01:37 PM
This article is interesting. I guess it represents a potentially serious threat, although it will take a bit more development before it is consistently effective. I guess the biggest risk is to people using computers in public places like cafes or on trains.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7681534.stm

The most alarming part is that it isn't dependant on the OS, and requires no tampering with the target machine.

ashmew2
October 22nd, 2008, 03:20 PM
Whenever you use a Public computer...You always run the risk of getting your username/password stolen by keyloggers and things which the article was about.
So , The simplest and most secure way is ( i think ) , Use the character map (click on the letters) , then do a copy paste. Remove what you had in the character map window and close it. Works Wonders :D

earthpigg
October 22nd, 2008, 04:28 PM
this aint new :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TEMPEST

TEMPEST is a codename referring to investigations and studies of compromising emanations (CE). Compromising emanations are defined as unintentional intelligence-bearing signals which, if intercepted and analyzed, may disclose the information transmitted, received, handled, or otherwise processed by any information-processing equipment.

cookieofdoom
October 22nd, 2008, 05:33 PM
I feel sorry for anyone who might want to sniff my keyboard to get passwords and stuff. Once they get past all the thoroughly random conversations I have with my friends, mindless things I post on the Ubuntuforums, poorly composed emails to people in my church, and bizarre Facebook statuses... they'd find out that I have no money in my back account.:lolflag:

pp.
October 22nd, 2008, 06:04 PM
they'd find out that I have no money in my back account.

Oh, rest assured. That's not an unsurmountable problem at all. They overdraw your account.