PDA

View Full Version : Best client for IRC?

Lorelei-
October 21st, 2008, 01:39 PM
Just wondering what people would recommend as the best client to use for IRC. At the moment I just use the standard XChat that comes with Ubuntu and its mostly ok but I'd rather use something a bit sleeker looking to be honest.

Any suggestions?

alenis
October 21st, 2008, 02:01 PM
ChatZilla works well and as a Firefox add-on is very convenient.

Polygon
October 21st, 2008, 02:21 PM
sleeker? Define sleeker.......mirc is one of the most popular irc clients and i personally think its downright ugly......

FuturePilot
October 21st, 2008, 02:39 PM

-grubby
October 21st, 2008, 02:45 PM
I use Konversation. Irssi is also good

will1911a1
October 21st, 2008, 02:50 PM
Irssi is my client of choice.

bfc
October 21st, 2008, 02:51 PM
I've been switching between weechat and irssi. I'm still undecided on the one I will stick with.

sujoy
October 21st, 2008, 02:54 PM
weechat :)

Lorelei-
October 21st, 2008, 03:17 PM
sleeker? Define sleeker.......mirc is one of the most popular irc clients and i personally think its downright ugly......

something that looks a bit better really. largely because xchat seems determined to display all my messages in a horrid hard to read grey font (at least to me anyway) no matter how many times I alter the settings!

tuxxy
October 21st, 2008, 03:19 PM
Weechat or IRSSI

Dr Small
October 21st, 2008, 03:20 PM
Irssi

notwen
October 21st, 2008, 03:30 PM
+1 irssi

Lorelei-
October 21st, 2008, 03:40 PM
I'm sensing a theme here with IRSSI :lolflag:

download link/install instructions please?

sertse
October 21st, 2008, 03:43 PM
apt-get install irssi works heh. Most distros have it.

Of the two, I like weechat though, it was the channel userlist on the right (like xchat etc), instead of having to /name to get it.

Both irssi and weechat are console based irc clients btw

Lorelei-
October 21st, 2008, 05:01 PM
Of the two, I like weechat though, it was the channel userlist on the right (like xchat etc), instead of having to /name to get it.

Both irssi and weechat are console based irc clients btw

I may install both then and experiment a bit.

dirtylobster
October 21st, 2008, 05:07 PM

...which sucks when you want to copy/paste stuff. I moved the userlist to the top of the screen.

weechat (using ssh + screen) running 24/7 on my server is my client of choice.

Austin_Duffy
October 21st, 2008, 05:15 PM
When I was on Windows XP I used a chat program called mIRC. It was quite use full but the negative is that it costs money after 40 trail days. But the positive it that it came with some pretty handy scripts including color changing for everything same with font changing if you have the fonts installed that is if style is an issue. Now that I know of Irssi I'll most likely be using it(new to ubuntu here).

billgoldberg
October 21st, 2008, 05:25 PM
I used to use pidgin. I know use xchat.

I'm not on irc that much, but both seem to do the job just fine.

Dr Small
October 21st, 2008, 05:33 PM
When I was on Windows XP I used a chat program called mIRC. It was quite use full but the negative is that it costs money after 40 trail days. But the positive it that it came with some pretty handy scripts including color changing for everything same with font changing if you have the fonts installed that is if style is an issue. Now that I know of Irssi I'll most likely be using it(new to ubuntu here).
I used to use mIRC on Windows but never had to pay.

Corfy
October 23rd, 2008, 12:54 AM
I used to use pidgin. I know use xchat.

I'm not on irc that much, but both seem to do the job just fine.

I'm a Pidgin user myself. I like having all those accounts in one program (Yahoo, MSN, AOL, ICQ, Jabber, MySpace and IRC). Never really used any other IRC programs, so I can't compare it. But I also don't spend a lot of time on IRC.

Grant A.
October 23rd, 2008, 12:56 AM
Most definitely irssi.

Christmas
October 23rd, 2008, 01:05 AM
I recommend XChat for graphical clients. It's built in GTK, has C plugin interface, scripting in Perl, Python, Tcl. It's very powerful. If you want a client for KDE, try Konversation and KVirc. For CLI go with Irssi, it's such a beautiful application in my opinion.

zmjjmz
October 23rd, 2008, 01:13 AM
irssi is pwnful, but if you want to fix XChat just set the background to something that contrasts with grey.

necromonger
February 24th, 2012, 08:07 PM
i use kvirc works good for me.

CharlesA
February 24th, 2012, 08:10 PM
Back to sleep you go..