PDA

View Full Version : Are you an uTorrent addict?

medic2000
October 21st, 2008, 11:20 AM
I see many posts like: "None of torrent clients in Linux can compete with uTorrent. I miss it (i dont like using wine)"

I am using Deluge and downloading in full speed. What make a different. How a torrent client effect the speed of the download. What is they love that utorrent have others haven't?

Maratonda
October 21st, 2008, 12:10 PM
I've used a lot of torrent clients and while uTorrent is great, usually people who migrate from Windows are too lazy to tweak network configuration (opening ports, even static ip, # of connections)...while I agree it's totally boring to do it all over again, that doesn't make uTorrent speed higher, and I think that there is little or no evidence to support the claim that utorrent is better of other clients in terms of speed...

ajgreeny
October 21st, 2008, 12:50 PM
Surely the most important thing re speed is the number of seeders online at the time you are downloading. I have used a number of different torrent clients and can see no real differences in download speed, as long as the configuration is set the same, and there are plenty of other people online.

billgoldberg
October 21st, 2008, 01:16 PM
I use Transmission, and don't change a single setting, don't even open up ports.

I'm getting full speed downloads.

I've tried uTorrent a while back, nothing special about it at all. Don't get it.

Ub1476
October 21st, 2008, 01:44 PM
I've been using uTorrent, Deluge, Transmission ++ and Utorrent is clearly the best. Good speeds and no serious drop of speed in webbrowsing. Deluge is fast, but makes the web slow. Transmission is just slow..

medic2000
October 22nd, 2008, 07:54 AM
Now who shall i believe? Can someone clarify the all thing? :-k

billgoldberg
October 22nd, 2008, 08:07 AM
Now who shall i believe? Can someone clarify the all thing? :-k

I guess it's depends on a lot of things.

Router, settings, ...

Transmission always max out my connection speed, so I can hardly call it slow since I can't go any faster (600kb/sec).

Keep in mind I only download from private trackers.

If you're internet browsing is slow when downloading torrents, lower the number of peers that can connect to you.

mr.propre
October 22nd, 2008, 08:46 AM
I've been using uTorrent, Deluge, Transmission ++ and Utorrent is clearly the best. Good speeds and no serious drop of speed in webbrowsing. Deluge is fast, but makes the web slow. Transmission is just slow..

Deluge opens to many connections and that slows things down. I used deluge for a few time and mostly its fast in in the beginning and after a few minutes and allot open connections later it's slower than a 28k/modem.

Transmission does the best job here on Linux without using µTorrent and wine. In the end I don't download allot over torrents using Linux, most of the time i just use my Windows Desktop.

stinger30au
October 22nd, 2008, 11:27 AM
I see many posts like: "None of torrent clients in Linux can compete with uTorrent. I miss it (i dont like using wine)"

I am using Deluge and downloading in full speed. What make a different. How a torrent client effect the speed of the download. What is they love that utorrent have others haven't?

one this is a proper download scheduler, im yet to find a natinve linux app that has one that *ACTUALLY WORKS*

i have seen a few different linux torrent apps that *SAY* they have a scheduller, but it is nothing like the scheduler available in utorrent

if you want to see the scheduler, in utorrent, run it in wine.... or install virtual box, and throw xp at it with peer guardian and utorrent and d/l away

AndyCooll
October 22nd, 2008, 01:27 PM
Can't see what the fuss is about myself, but then maybe my needs are fairly basic. I use rtorrent (I run it on my server) and the speeds I get on that are excellent. It's highly configurable too.

:cool:

Npl
October 22nd, 2008, 02:00 PM
utorrent is efficient and has alot of features. You can have alot torrents running and it barely touches the CPU, the GUI stays snappy. Thats why people call it fast (notably those who used akward Java Programs before). Download speeds depend primary on the #seeders/#leechers.
Its been years since I switched, but to give an example: I downloaded some TOSEC-Sets, those torrents contain thousands of small files. I used Azureus back then, and it froze for minutes when opening such a torrent, gobbled up memory till it run out of heap-space (means it took more than 256MB for 1-2 torrents) and thus crashed. After I increased heap I could atleast run it, but it was apparent it put a load on my PC.
Enter utorrent - opens such torrents in a few seconds, and doesnt tax the system at all.

nacho_dh
October 22nd, 2008, 03:49 PM
I've had no problems configuring my uTorrent to run with Wine, but since for some trackers I need to tweak the ratio not to get banned (in my country providers offer ADSL instead of DSL, which really affects my ratio on private trackers) I usually use my already configured tweaked uTorrent running on an WXP. When I have the time to figure out how to crack the ratio on Linux, I'll probably migrate all uTorrent downloads to my Ubuntu.