PDA

View Full Version : Man I am Happy!!

tomwell
November 26th, 2005, 07:41 PM
Hi All,

I have just rebooted into windows for actual work after about 2 weeks of not going in there...(I have been seting up my Linux dual boot after a major crash 3weeks ago...)
I have Installed Ubuntu Brezy Badger, I am so happy with it!!

Anyways back to the main reason why am typing this up...

I went into ******* to work on some graphics and also to rip some cd's (am sure there is a way to rip cd's in ubuntu but i like the fact that it writtes all the tag info for me...)

Man is it slow!!!! I have never noticed it before!!! My computer is so much faster in Linux... i mean i can multitask in linux no probs... But in windows i cant rip cd's and do graphic work... or browse the internet for that matter..!!!

Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that i am now used to super fast linux??? but really my XP partition is empty!!! I dont have any programs running or even installed apart from the usual graphic progs...

And also one thing i have noticed, my Ubuntu starts up from grub to actually fully loaded in 1.29 mins.

Windows on the other hand gets into windows in 45 secs but i cant use it for another 45 or so seconds because it has the hour glass,

I feel like M$ is trying to make me think XP boots fast when in fact it doesnt!!! it seems to be a scam!!! LMAO!!!

If only i could switch completely to Linux...!!!!

Anyways peace to all!!!

Tom

teaker1s
November 26th, 2005, 07:47 PM
programs (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=33183)

matthew
November 26th, 2005, 08:05 PM
This might interest you...The table of equivalents / replacements / analogs of Windows software in Linux. (http://www.linuxrsp.ru/win-lin-soft/table-eng.html)

aysiu
November 26th, 2005, 08:15 PM
Maybe my computer's a freak, but it boots much faster to a usable desktop in XP than it does in Ubuntu (30 seconds v. 1:00). I'm talking about from selecting the option in Grub to being able to search for something using Google on Firefox.

Of course, once it's actually loaded up, Ubuntu is much faster--but I don't know if boot times are always fast. Glad it's working for you, though.

ssam
November 26th, 2005, 08:25 PM
if you reboot often enough to make it worth the effort you may want to look at http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=80423

i use grip for ripping cds in linux. it has more options then you could imagine which i like. it can get and submit track names, it can encode in any format you have an encoder for, and name the files from any combination of the tags.

i think the simple ripper in ubuntu is called soundjuicer. can someone confirm that?

tomwell
November 26th, 2005, 08:40 PM
I need to work in Adobe Illustrator unfortunately... but i have had Ubuntu running for just over 2 weeks and i havent booted into windows... Am sure once i start working again properly it will be different but for everyday stuff am sticking to Ubuntu!!! (that is untill Xara X port there software to linux which should be pretty soon!!!)

Aysu that i really fast to boot xp... what are you running?? am running amd athlon+2800 512DDR ram...It takes me for ever to get a search in google... The hour glass stays running as i said in 1st post for bout 45 secs...Its definately to do with my PC since both OS's take about 1:30 secs..What is for sure is that Ubuntu is much faster once up and running...

Ssam does Grip use the internet to retrieve the track information??? the nice thing about windows is it does it ever so swiftly...

Peace

Tom

YourSurrogateGod
November 26th, 2005, 08:59 PM
Maybe my computer's a freak, but it boots much faster to a usable desktop in XP than it does in Ubuntu (30 seconds v. 1:00). I'm talking about from selecting the option in Grub to being able to search for something using Google on Firefox.

Of course, once it's actually loaded up, Ubuntu is much faster--but I don't know if boot times are always fast. Glad it's working for you, though.
I'm in a similar situation.

erikpiper
November 26th, 2005, 10:11 PM
Right now my windows partition takes 4 to 8 hours before booting- however it needs to be bought, installed, and configured :) Windows free!

(You want fast? try gentoo!)

matthew
November 26th, 2005, 10:19 PM
When I still had a Windows partition it would boot slower than Hoary did, but I think it had a lot to do with spy/adware and tons of programs installed. I think a new/clean installation might boot faster than Ubuntu...but I have no need to find out.

Breezy does boot a bit faster for me than Hoary did, and on my testbox Dapper is faster yet, both running and booting.

dosed150
November 26th, 2005, 11:37 PM
Ssam does Grip use the internet to retrieve the track information??? the nice thing about windows is it does it ever so swiftly...

Tom

i think grip gets track info from the cd because some of my cds come up with track names but some dont

tomwell
November 27th, 2005, 12:13 AM
I mean in win media player 10 some cd's dont seem to have the track info, but then i search for album info and it adds to my mp3's....great for when i have songs that i dont have the CD...;o)

Not too much of a problem i will only rip my music when i do graphics...

Peace

Tom