PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How does one update over the network?

Dev'olution
October 21st, 2008, 03:40 AM
Hey Guys,

I have a network of 1 laptop, 1 desktop and 1 server, and I wonder if its possible at all to update the laptop from 8.04 to 8.10 beta over the network, as my desktop is currently running the 8.10 beta.

Any help will be greatly welcomed.

Thanks,
Kris

pytheas22
October 21st, 2008, 03:46 AM
Just open a terminal and type:

sudo update-manager -d

and the update manager will open with an option to upgrade to Intrepid beta.

Dev'olution
October 21st, 2008, 03:48 AM
Just open a terminal and type:

sudo update-manager -d

and the update manager will open with an option to upgrade to Intrepid beta.

I know this much. What I want to do is use the updates from another PC on the network.

Partyboi2
October 21st, 2008, 03:54 AM
You could try this (http://ubuntu-tutorials.com/2007/10/08/how-to-install-ubuntu-locally-over-the-network/)

Dev'olution
October 21st, 2008, 04:00 AM
It's all good guys.

Thanks for the help, I think i'll just update to Intrepid.

Cheers,
Kris

sethvath
October 21st, 2008, 04:02 AM
If you plan to make your server as a mirror for ubuntu updates then yes. But if your desktop is just running 8.10 and you want to update your laptop via the home network I doubt its feasible. You have to look up instructions on mirroring ubuntu update, thats how most schools/companies update all their systems at the same time.

Why do you want to update over network when you can install from the same cd you used to install on your desktop.

Dev'olution
October 21st, 2008, 04:04 AM
Why do you want to update over network when you can install from the same cd you used to install on your desktop.

I updated to Intrepid on the desktop using the update-manager.

MJWitter
October 21st, 2008, 01:41 PM
The way i have been doing it(as my internet usage is limited) is to copy the files from /var/cache/apt/archives on one pc(excluding the "lock" file) to the same folder on the pc to be updated. Then do the update and those files won't need to be updated.