PDA

View Full Version : New Ubuntu US Store

kevin11951
October 21st, 2008, 03:16 AM
I haven't seen any other posts, so i thought i would make my own:

Canonical has opened a new store specifically for United States citizens:

https://usshop.ubuntu.com/

I found this very funny, because of all the happy laughing people covering the nice pages.

also, for those wondering if canonical would be selling 8.10 cds:

CDs & DVDs
Shipping soon...

Thanks for visiting this page. Soon after we launch Ubuntu 8.10 we will begin selling CDs and DVDs of Ubuntu Desktop Edition, Ubuntu Server Edition, and Kubuntu here. Please check back at a later date.

What do you think of a US store?

niccholaspage
October 21st, 2008, 03:17 AM
Cool. A US Store for us US citizens.

tikal26
October 21st, 2008, 03:24 AM
Well I think that there are enough people in america interested in Ubuntu to open a USA store and that is a good thing, butit is weird and normal at the same time

Edit: ohh I can also buy a Hoodie at a reasonable price. i just wished they had some kubuntu stuff

Grant A.
October 21st, 2008, 03:25 AM
Woo! No more 2 Month shipping!

aysiu
October 21st, 2008, 03:30 AM
Is it just me or does the software section list pounds instead of dollars?

steveneddy
October 21st, 2008, 03:33 AM
Finally! I wrote them all the time when I was ordering stuff from the UK store that sometimes the freight from the UK was more than the merchandise.

Time to go shopping for more Ubuntu swag!

TwiceOver
October 21st, 2008, 03:43 AM
I'm cool with every thing in the store. Though I wish they would release an Ubuntu iron on patch so I could just buy a $50 Ogio bag and put my own patch on it. Seriously $118 for a laptop backpack is WAY over priced. I currently have the Ogio Metro and it was only $45.

Other than that, I'll probably pick up the stickers and a polo.

kk0sse54
October 21st, 2008, 04:48 AM

The software is only available from our international shop
:-s Now there's your problem :D

cardinals_fan
October 21st, 2008, 04:59 AM
Finally! I wrote them all the time when I was ordering stuff from the UK store that sometimes the freight from the UK was more than the merchandise.

That's still true for us Alaskans ;)

jsmidt
October 21st, 2008, 07:23 AM

That is too funny.

What do we in the US need our own store for some sort of legal reasons? Some shirt may violate the DMCA or something? :) Does this mean I can't shop at the international store? :)

eragon100
October 21st, 2008, 07:39 AM
That is too funny.

What do we in the US need our own store for some sort of legal reasons? Some shirt may violate the DMCA or something? :) Does this mean I can't shop at the international store? :)

Offcourse you can, but the shipping rates will be lower if you shop at the US store :wink:

bigbrovar
October 21st, 2008, 08:16 AM

for US citizens or US residence.

Dragonbite
October 21st, 2008, 02:02 PM
I haven't seen any other posts, so i thought i would make my own:

https://usshop.ubuntu.com/

I found this very funny, because of all the happy laughing people covering the nice pages.

also, for those wondering if canonical would be selling 8.10 cds:

What do you think of a US store?

Actually, there was a thread started 3 days ago : http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=950702

Like I said in the other thread, I hope it brings down the cost of shipping some or speeds up delivery?

I recently got an Ubuntu cap (black.. they didn't have the tan ones available at the time) and the other night when I was picking up Pizza the guy behind the counter asked "You Ubuntu?"! :)

Seems he tried it, but has gone on to other distro(s).

Regardless, I thought it was cool how it was recognized and think that this is a great marketing method because the Ubuntu logo is very recognizable and those that know what it is know that it's Linux! So it's like 2 advertisements in one!

I also get questions from a number of people as to what it is. I should really just make sure I have dozens of CDs in the car and keep a few in my pockets so when somebody asks I can hand it right to them! :guitar:

notwen
October 21st, 2008, 06:57 PM
Sweet, might actually get around to ordering something now. Paying more for s&h from the Canonical store kept me from doing so in the past.

Good to know. Thanks =]

olskar
October 21st, 2008, 07:03 PM
Very nice design!

forrestcupp
October 21st, 2008, 07:44 PM

There's a drop down box on the right side to change it to dollars.

Dr Small
October 21st, 2008, 07:48 PM
That's still true for us Alaskans ;)
I was wondering where you were from ;)
I think the site looks to cheesy, but that's just me.

AndrewRodaway
October 21st, 2008, 11:11 PM
To answer various questions raised here about the new US store, we created it to solve the problem of high shipping costs and taxes for US residents who wanted to buy Ubuntu gear. We can only ship to the 50 US states - we looked into shipping to Canada, but there are punitive import duties on many items and associated customs and freighting costs.

On pricing, we have a 'carbon-friendly' policy of sourcing good quality, locally-produced, organic and recycled products where possible, and these are typically a bit more expensive than stuff of lower quality or from less ethically responsible sources. It does also create pricing differentials between the two stores, although we have tried to equalise these somewhat.

Finally, we are looking at creating some Kubuntu gear, but the demand is lower, and it only makes sensible prices possible if we can get a fair volume per item. We will also have seasonal and 8.10 stuff along soon.

If anybody has any questions or suggestions, feel free to email me - andrew.rodaway@canonical.com (I'm Marketing Director at Canonical.)

Andrew.

PS - Thanks to those who said kind things about the new look of the US store - the people in the pics are all Canonical staff, and we had a real laugh taking them.

Dragonbite
October 22nd, 2008, 02:58 AM
PS - Thanks to those who said kind things about the new look of the US store - the people in the pics are all Canonical staff, and we had a real laugh taking them.

That's really cool! I like that kind of stuff!

barbedsaber
October 22nd, 2008, 03:16 AM
what about the AUS store, I'm waiting.

AndrewRodaway
October 22nd, 2008, 08:59 AM
> what about the AUS store, I'm waiting.

We have discussed other geos and the APAC region was one of the key ones. There is a surprising amount of work to set up such a store - so it has to be viable in terms of the volume, local availability of quality goods, a reliable local fulfilment partner, etc, etc. So I can't promise we will do one in any particular place, but it is on the radar to do more.

a.

Dragonbite
October 22nd, 2008, 01:48 PM
Is the shipping time going to be any shorter?

I know it isn't all that bad now, but like at our computer club somebody is talking about doing a presentation on Ubuntu at our general meeting and I am thinking of getting a few things that can be raffled off at the meeting (mugs, key fobs, etc).

It will help to know how much lead time I need to factor in.

oldos2er
October 22nd, 2008, 06:32 PM
Those speakers are kind of cool-looking.

AndrewRodaway
October 23rd, 2008, 12:05 PM
> Is the shipping time going to be any shorter?

Yes, as little as 1 day. The following is from the shipping page - sorry about the formatting.

a.

Shipping & handling

The information below is for US orders only.

You have the option to select a ship method during the checkout process. The default ship method is Standard. All orders placed by 4:00 PM CST will ship the same day following payment verification. Orders shipped via Standard are usually received within 5-7 business days. (see map below)

Shipping costs within the US
Purchases Standard UPS 3 Day UPS 2 Day UPS 1 Day
$0.01 - $25.00 $6.95 $10.95 $17.95 $23.95
$25.01 - $50.00 $8.95 $12.95 $19.95 $31.95
$50.01 - $100.00 $9.95 $14.95 $21.95 $35.95
$100.01 - $200.00 $12.95 $18.95 $25.95 $42.95
$200.01 - $300.00 $16.95 $23.95 $31.95 $52.95
$300.01 - $400.00 $21.95 $28.95 $38.95 $59.95
$400.01 - $500.00 $26.95 $33.95 $45.95 $65.95
$500.01 - $600.00 $31.95 $38.95 $52.95 $71.95

MasterNetra
October 23rd, 2008, 12:46 PM
Great! Now if they can only start selling labtops and desktops! :)

Dragonbite
October 23rd, 2008, 01:31 PM
Great! Now if they can only start selling labtops and desktops! :)

Oh.. that would be evil (on my wallet)

1cewolf
October 23rd, 2008, 01:40 PM
Wow, they even have organic clothing! AWESOME! :guitar:

I'm impressed. I wonder if they'll ever make some Kubuntu merchandise. In the mean time, I'll be more than happy to snatch up some Ubuntu merchandise!

MasterNetra
October 23rd, 2008, 01:57 PM
Oh.. that would be evil (on my wallet)

Not if they sell around Dell's prices or lower :P

Dragonbite
October 23rd, 2008, 02:47 PM
Wow, they even have organic clothing! AWESOME! :guitar:

I'm impressed. I wonder if they'll ever make some Kubuntu merchandise. In the mean time, I'll be more than happy to snatch up some Ubuntu merchandise!

Mentioned earlier

Finally, we are looking at creating some Kubuntu gear, but the demand is lower, and it only makes sensible prices possible if we can get a fair volume per item. We will also have seasonal and 8.10 stuff along soon.

bash
October 23rd, 2008, 03:22 PM
Hmm ... when I look at the store page, the most sold item seems to be happy people in funny cloathing.

Nostrafus
October 23rd, 2008, 06:33 PM
I noticed the US shop a couple days ago, didn't realize it was a recent thing. I'm waiting to see if they release a new t-shirt for the release of Intrepid Ibex like the Hardy Heron t-shirt. If it looks good I'll tack it on to my current plan of getting a hoodie a few stickers, and maybe a coffee mug.

Dragonbite
October 24th, 2008, 07:48 PM
> what about the AUS store, I'm waiting.

We have discussed other geos and the APAC region was one of the key ones. There is a surprising amount of work to set up such a store - so it has to be viable in terms of the volume, local availability of quality goods, a reliable local fulfilment partner, etc, etc. So I can't promise we will do one in any particular place, but it is on the radar to do more.

a.

Here's a question... where is your USA warehouse (which state) or where is it going to be?

richg
October 25th, 2008, 02:52 AM
You have got to be kidding. There is nothing useful there. Surely you jest.
:roll:

Rich

Frak
October 25th, 2008, 03:45 AM
Since it just redirects to the Canonical store (located in the UK), I can see the pound status.

Though, it'd be nice to update for us non-mathematical folk.

cjnkns
October 25th, 2008, 04:14 AM
Ok - I had to buy the hoodie jacket its so cool and I get to support ubuntu :)

AndrewRodaway
October 25th, 2008, 12:50 PM
> Here's a question... where is your USA warehouse (which state) or where is it going to be?

I believe it's in St Louis.

a.

jocose
October 26th, 2008, 05:06 AM
I haven't seen any other posts, so i thought i would make my own

Did you use search as I did prior to posting this?

I posted on this topic 1 week ago:

Ubuntu US Store
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=950702

kevin11951
October 26th, 2008, 05:50 AM
Did you use search as I did prior to posting this?

I posted on this topic 1 week ago:

Ubuntu US Store

I'm pretty sure I searched the forum first. like always.

jocose
October 26th, 2008, 08:46 AM
thread merge requested with:

please, thanks

jocose
October 26th, 2008, 08:50 AM
Actually, there was a thread started 3 days ago : http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=950702

Indeed.

Macintosh Sauce
October 26th, 2008, 08:59 AM
When I get some money, I want to order some Ubuntu swag. :)