PDA

View Full Version : How important is Skype for you or the people who migrate to Ubuntu ?

bluelightav
October 21st, 2008, 02:51 AM
For me it is important that Skype works on Ubuntu. If one works in migrating in office environments it is not a question whether one likes Skype or not or whether it is "evil". Not having Skpe or having lots of problems with it keeps people from migrating.

Chianti
October 21st, 2008, 02:56 AM
Very important! Especially for those that want to communicate with people from other countries... It was one of the first programs I searched if they work in Ubuntu before migrating. It works perfectly after fixing possible sound problems (pulseaudio)!

chavon20
October 21st, 2008, 03:10 AM
It wasn't a showstopper for me but it was one of the apps I took into consideration before I switched to Ubuntu. Saying that though, if there was a good substitute I would use it rather than Skype.

steveneddy
October 21st, 2008, 03:35 AM
We live by Skype and Pidgen.

gn2
October 21st, 2008, 08:05 AM
VOIP is not required for me because here in the UK it can work out cheaper to use conventional landline, depending on usage pattern.

Running Skype instead of using a normal phone would cost me money, so I don't use it.

Sealbhach
October 21st, 2008, 09:50 AM
I found Skype easy to set up. It's never caused me any problems at all.

DFlame
October 21st, 2008, 10:13 AM
It works here, perfectly. Even with the bluetooth headset. Can't say I use it all that much though - I'm more of a TeamSpeak user.

DFlame

medic2000
October 21st, 2008, 11:09 AM
I would be nice but i support and use Ekiga.

Bölvağur
October 21st, 2008, 11:23 AM
It works here, perfectly. Even with the bluetooth headset. Can't say I use it all that much though - I'm more of a TeamSpeak user.

DFlame

Agree, skype works perfectly in ubuntu, provided that you have the skype .deb file from their website.

but I'd rather use ts... looking forward to team speak 3, it is going to be the best.