PDA

View Full Version : Spare Computers?

Faren
November 26th, 2005, 07:12 PM
Spare computers, a lot of us have them but what do we do with them? Now I'm not going to try to convince you to hand over your computer to me. Becasue thats just wrong. Here is the deal:
I'm a guy who loves linux/unix. I have an imac. I love the ease of use and unix backround of mac osx. But of course my love for linux is greater. I know there are power pc versions of software but to be a real linux head I cant go on just by dual booting osx and ubuntu.

So wtf does this have to do with my spare computers?
We'll I'm looking for a computer. I don't care what kind. Any shape or size. Preferably IBM (being Ubuntu is IBM certified) but it doesn't matter. Im not trying to steal anyones computer. Like i said, I'm just a guy who is in need of a x86 processor computer (thats mostly anything non-mac) to run linux on. If you have one post pictures or something so i know its not a letter bomb when i give you an address to send it to

To prevent turning this into a flame war if you don't like this idea just don't post about it. ;)

If by chance a nice person does donate me a computer i will post pictures of what I've done with it.

-- faren

uberlinux
November 26th, 2005, 07:19 PM
Not sure where you live, but people are always throwing crap away here in the US, maybe you could put out an ad in the local, asking for peoples old PC stuff.

ssam
November 26th, 2005, 08:07 PM
you might want to try you local freecycle (http://www.freecycle.org/).

ubuntu runs pretty well on most macs. are you dual booting currently? are you brave enough to delete the mac os x partition?

aysiu
November 26th, 2005, 08:33 PM
Craigslist (http://www.craigslist.org/) also has a free sub-section in, ironically, the "for sale" section. It's very active in the Bay Area, but Craigslist has localized webpages all over the world.

Faren
November 27th, 2005, 02:28 AM
I just want to say thanks alot. I thought I would definitly get at least one person who would flame me making this post extremly unsucessfull.

UBERLINUX:
I never thought of doing that. My fear is that i would end up getting nothing out of it because the add would be confusing to everyone in my town (they ain't good with computers 'round these parts) or i would end up getting really old computers (im talking stuff like tandy's (the olld radio shack things that ran LS-DOS) or something like that). Probably even apple IIs, etc.

SSAM:
too bad freecycle has absolutly no offers about computers in my area. Just wanteds (is that even a word?). I know someone who dual boots Ubuntu. Its not Ubuntu that doesn't run its the programs. A whole lot don't support powerPC linux.

AYSIU:
Craiglist was great thinking (yet another idea I forgot about). I looked and didn't find anything in the "free stuff section" so thats a no hitter.

Here is my conclusion:
I'm 100% sure someone has seen a computer being thrown out. If they see one in the next few weeks just pick it up and ill pay for the shipping (i dont want to make it a hassle if you do see something thats worth it).

Also, if you know of any free services online (those free computer stuff) that aren't scams and work maybe that could be discussed.

If you got any other ideas, please feel free to post them.

Man what a long post,
Faren

futz
November 27th, 2005, 02:57 AM
I'm 100% sure someone has seen a computer being thrown out.
That's how I got my little Ubuntu box. Someone had chucked it out by a dumpster, most likely in a rage - the case was bent up a bit. It needed a little TLC and a few parts, which I found in my junkyard. It runs better than a P4 Celeron 1.5 has any right to run. :mrgreen:

Keep your eyes open. What looks like total crap sometimes is well worth having a closer look at. People chuck out perfectly useable boxes sometimes.

ssam
November 27th, 2005, 01:06 PM
too bad freecycle has absolutly no offers about computers in my area. Just wanteds (is that even a word?). I know someone who dual boots Ubuntu. Its not Ubuntu that doesn't run its the programs. A whole lot don't support powerPC linux.

I have seen a few computers offered on the manchester, uk freecycle. you may just have to wait a while.

there are only a few programms that dont work on powerpc linux, it just depends how important you think they are. i am perfectly happy to go with out flash, realplayer and skype. and the opensource radeon driver does a very good job for me.