PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] best wifi hardware ?

smooth3006
October 21st, 2008, 02:24 AM
im going to be buying a wireless router & a usb 2.0 wifi adapter for my laptop soon. can you recommend any decent ones that will work "out of the box" or with not much configuration needed ?

Xiong Chiamiov
October 27th, 2008, 02:13 AM
The router doesn't matter a bit. I've had success with Edimax cards, as they use the Ralink chipset, whose driver is built in to the kernel now.

d_skillz
October 27th, 2008, 02:31 AM
The router doesn't matter a bit. I've had success with Edimax cards, as they use the Ralink chipset, whose driver is built in to the kernel now.

cant go wrong here

alecjw
October 27th, 2008, 02:50 AM
Ralink and intel chipsets seem to work quite well for me

Ralink do open source drivers

IDK about intel, but they work

Best try and avoid broadcom, they dont give a **** about us linux users, and only provide closed source windows drivers. Having said that, there is some level of reverse-engineered broadcom support for linux.

ugm6hr
October 27th, 2008, 08:12 PM

If you are set on USB, Edimax cards are generally the best bet (due to Ralink chipset).

Nevertheless, I had to use the serialmonkey driver to get it to work, and replace NetworkManager with Wicd.

Not sure why - it is supposed to work out-of-the-box.

maestrobwh1
October 27th, 2008, 08:54 PM
USB... awesome luck with the Airlink 101

Uses the ZyDAS chip and works out of the box. Shows significantly stronger signal than internal adapters.

Keen101
October 27th, 2008, 09:15 PM
Yeah whatever you do stay away from broadcom. Intel mostly seem to work fine. Zydas if your cheap (ebay).

Crafty Kisses
October 27th, 2008, 09:41 PM
im going to be buying a wireless router & a usb 2.0 wifi adapter for my laptop soon. can you recommend any decent ones that will work "out of the box" or with not much configuration needed ?

Nice avatar. :lolflag: You might want to checkout this link > https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/WirelessCardsSupported