PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Problem switching

g1enb0
October 21st, 2008, 01:35 AM
I installed Kubuntu onto an older laptop I’ve decided to devote to learning Linux. Since the CD drive is dead, I used Unetbootin and a USB drive. Everything worked fine—I replaced the previous XP OS with K and everything worked fine.

The problem is… I want to start at the beginning with the original Ubuntu. I’m not a fan of the Kubuntu interface, and I want to learn Linux by the book (literally, I want to follow along with “Ubuntu for Non-Geeks”—I’m a few chapters in). But I can’t seem to get an Ubuntu install to work, thanks to

“BusyBox v1.1.3 (Debian 1:1.1.1.3 -5ubuntu12) Built-in shell (ash)
Enter ‘help’ for a list of built-in commands”

which comes up after choosing either to install or use the Live “CD”. I’ve seen where others have received the same error, but I haven’t seen anyone in the same position I am in.

I can’t imagine there is a hardware issue, as I have already successfully installed Kubuntu via USB. Last time I set up the USB drive on the laptop with XP. This time I prepared the USB on another computer. Does that make a difference?

Two things: I don’t know anything about Ubuntu—I’m trying to set up this computer to learn! The laptop also doesn’t have an internet connection, because I don’t have the knowledge set up a wireless connection.

I want to learn, but I need a little push to get going. Can anyone help me out?

g1enb0
October 21st, 2008, 12:39 PM
Please! Can anyone help? I'm begging here!:(