PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Install Help (1st timer)

nyar
October 21st, 2008, 01:18 AM
I (almost...) installed the stable latest version of ubuntu 64bit inside windows using wubi.exe and the ISO. It started downloading stuff so I went to sleep while as it did all that.

Woke up, install was done, rebooted the computer.....

Now booting ubuntu from bios I'm getting a busybox console with "initramfs", and apparently it wants me to type something in. I don't know what it wants. What am I supposed to type in, I did 'help' and did not see any commands that I would consider logical or appropriate for what I want.

I did a quick search, but my time is limited at the moment and I cant explore all those options as I'm leaving for class. If someone can give me a definitive answer for what to do I'd very much appreciate it.

pastalavista
October 21st, 2008, 01:58 AM
What exactly do you mean by "booting ubuntu from bios"? Do you mean Windows boot loader? I haven't tried wubi but my son has. He had the same problem. This page (http://psychocats.net/ubuntu/wubi) might help.

edit: I searched the forums for your problem, which I always do when I have a problem, and found this (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=895911). I never have to ask simple questions like yours. A search here always gives me a solution. my query was "wubi" and "busybox"

nyar
October 21st, 2008, 03:58 AM
by booting from bios i mean the dual-boot menu which gives me a choice between xp and lunix. I have no errors, but instead of what I expected (a boot of ubuntu with gui) I get busybox.
Now that I have time I can do my own research, I was really hoping I could get an answer by the time I got back home though ;(

pastalavista
October 21st, 2008, 04:06 AM
what I am saying is it took me as long to do the research as it took you to ask your question.

the answer was reboot in windows and be sure you shut down clean.. not forced. check windows for errors if necessary

nyar
October 21st, 2008, 04:38 AM
"Yes! Linux doesn't support SATA disks like Windows. That's our problem."
Is this true?

pastalavista
October 21st, 2008, 04:52 AM
I don't know where you got the quote but it could very well be true. Linux doesn't "support" as much hardware as windows because the manufacturers, in truth, don't support linux... for the simple reason that it's such a small percentage of the market. as linux grows, so will the support

nyar
October 21st, 2008, 05:24 AM
Ill try to get with linux again in a few years, when I get a new computer then. ;(