PDA

View Full Version : remote control on front end only?

meanmrmustard
October 21st, 2008, 01:16 AM
I have a master FE/BE machine in one room and would like to be able to use a remote control on the FE only machine in the other room.
Is there a way to do this without having a TV card in that machine?
I'd like to replace the keyboard that I'm using now.

issih
October 21st, 2008, 01:27 AM
Yup, thats no problem, provided you can get a remote working on the front end machine, it will work just fine..

I can use my macbook's silly little apple remote for instance, and my backend is on my desktop pc.

hope that helps

meanmrmustard
October 21st, 2008, 02:52 AM
What sort of receiver must I use?
I was hoping an extra Logitech model for a mouse/keyboard would do the job.
Probably not though, eh?

SiHa
October 21st, 2008, 10:03 AM
How's your soldering?

You could make a homebrew serial receiver. I'm using the 'more advanced' version found mentioned here:
http://www.lirc.org/receivers.html

I've got two of these working, I've even used one of them to replace the in-built receiver on my Hauppauge card, because I can't stop the card filtering out repeat keypresses.

Once built, just plug into your com port and do
sudo dpkg-reconfigure lircSelect Homebrew 16x50 compatible. If you plug into the external COM port you want ttyS0, for internal it's ttyS1.

That should configure LIRC for you, you'll need to then either record an lircd.conf, or find the appropriate one in /usr/share/lirc/remotes

If you want to use the internal port, you'll need to fit a 10-way IDC female box-header onto a piece of ribbon cable. Pin numbers map 1-1 to the 9-way d-sub (Pin 10 is N/C of course!)

If you want to try this and run into problems or need more info, I'll help if I can.

One last thing, if you're planning on using a Hauppauge remote. I've found that (for Nova-T single, and Nova-T 500 Dual, anyway) the codes generated using the inbuilt receiver are different to the codes using a homebrew receiver. The codes for a PVR350, in /usr/share/lirc/remotes/hauppauge/lircd.conf.hauppauge work fine.

HTH

Simon

meanmrmustard
October 21st, 2008, 10:11 AM
Soldering will be no problem.
I'll give it a go.
Thanks!