PDA

View Full Version : Kubuntu as a pure KDE distro?

xeriouxi
October 21st, 2008, 12:59 AM
Hi!

I was wondering what the Kubuntu/KDE users on here would think of Kubuntu being a 'pure' KDE distro maybe in the near future?

As most will know there is a Firefox port being done at the moment, and KOffice isn't too far off from being completed to my knowledge. I think that OpenOffice.org is the only app in Kubuntu that's a GTK app if I'm not mistaken. If Firefox (Qt) was to become the default browser in Kubuntu, and KOffice was stable and useable, would Kubuntu go the same route as Ubuntu?

I don't think Ubuntu has any KDE-based apps installed by default at all, and I know that OOo is probably the better choice at the moment even for KDE users because KOffice 1.6 perhaps isn't as strong as a contender, but given that KOffice 2 is a solid performer, who would like to see Kubuntu become more 'integrated' I think is the word I'll use, like Ubuntu is with all it's GTK apps.

[Quick side note... this isn't to start a flame war or anything. I love Gnome/GTK as it's what got me started with GNU/Linux, but I'm just curious on people's views, especially current Kubuntu/KDE users.]

SunnyRabbiera
October 21st, 2008, 01:29 AM
I dont know why mixing QT apps with GTK ones is so bad, as there are many decent GTK apps out there that surpass their QT counterparts (synaptic is better then adept, gimp is better then krita)

LaRoza
October 21st, 2008, 01:46 AM
I dont know why mixing QT apps with GTK ones is so bad, as there are many decent GTK apps out there that surpass their QT counterparts (synaptic is better then adept, gimp is better then krita)
It is mainly a distro thing, not a user thing. Having a bunch of large libraries by default adds a lot of size and may be considered bloat.

I use QT, KDE, GNOME, GTK and Xfce apps routinely though, on xmonad.

igknighted
October 21st, 2008, 01:53 AM
Kubuntu is more KDE-centric than most KDE distros. Think about it... it doesn't ship with Firefox, GIMP, or many other packages that many KDE distro's do. And OO.o isn't a gnome app (or even gtk IIRC), so its not like you have to bring in all those deps. Fedora, Sidux, Mandriva and openSUSE all ship with much more GTK (or otherwise non-kde apps) than Kubuntu does.

EDIT: Have you tried the newest version of adept? And have you really tried Krita much? I wont really defend adept much, as it has had problems in the past, but a lot of people are raving over the new adept. And I always install Krita on my gnome installs because I think it is a vastly superior to GIMP (a bit rough around the edges at times, but a much nicer interface and much more powerful tools)

pluckypigeon
October 21st, 2008, 01:54 AM
Kubuntu is more KDE-centric than most KDE distros. Think about it... it doesn't ship with Firefox, GIMP, or many other packages that many KDE distro's do. And OO.o isn't a gnome app (or even gtk IIRC), so its not like you have to bring in all those deps. Fedora, Sidux, Mandriva and openSUSE all ship with much more GTK (or otherwise non-kde apps) than Kubuntu does.

Interesting point

samjh
October 21st, 2008, 02:13 AM
As most will know there is a Firefox port being done at the moment, and KOffice isn't too far off from being completed to my knowledge. I think that OpenOffice.org is the only app in Kubuntu that's a GTK app if I'm not mistaken. If Firefox (Qt) was to become the default browser in Kubuntu, and KOffice was stable and useable, would Kubuntu go the same route as Ubuntu?

I don't think Ubuntu has any KDE-based apps installed by default at all, and I know that OOo is probably the better choice at the moment even for KDE users because KOffice 1.6 perhaps isn't as strong as a contender, but given that KOffice 2 is a solid performer, who would like to see Kubuntu become more 'integrated' I think is the word I'll use, like Ubuntu is with all it's GTK apps.

Neither Firefox or Openoffice are GTK/Gnome apps. Firefox uses XUL and OpenOffice uses their own.

There are currently efforts to integrate both Firefox and OpenOffice into KDE look-and-feel.

Pure KDE Kubuntu would be nice.

chucky chuckaluck
October 21st, 2008, 02:42 AM
i never liked adept at all. i did like kpackage a lot, though. i've tried to use krita, but i'm too used to gimp and have no real dissatisfactions with it. the problem with taking such a maoist uniformity with something like a DE centric distro is that, invariably, something is going to fall short (i'd rather use gimp than get used to krita, but give me k3b over brasero and whatever, anyday).

xeriouxi
October 21st, 2008, 02:43 AM
Neither Firefox or Openoffice are GTK/Gnome apps. Firefox uses XUL and OpenOffice uses their own.

There are currently efforts to integrate both Firefox and OpenOffice into KDE look-and-feel.

Pure KDE Kubuntu would be nice.

I was unaware of that information! You learn something new everyday, huh? =D

Grant A.
October 21st, 2008, 03:22 AM
No, this would probably not be a good idea. Firefox is much faster than Konqueror, Gimp is much more advanced than Krita, and GParted is the only partition editor I know that can manage and create extended partitions and set disk labels easily via the gui. On top of that, compiling software is teh suck.

Dev'olution
October 21st, 2008, 03:26 AM
The beauty of Kubuntu and Ubuntu, and to a make larger extent Linux itself, is that YOU decide what you want in there.

In my opinion, Kubuntu will stay the way it is incorporating some but not a lot of GTK apps, and it will be up to the end user if they want rid of them.

igknighted
October 21st, 2008, 05:33 AM
No, this would probably not be a good idea. Firefox is much faster than Konqueror, Gimp is much more advanced than Krita, and GParted is the only partition editor I know that can manage and create extended partitions and set disk labels easily via the gui. On top of that, compiling software is teh suck.

But yet, none of those applications are already in Kubuntu, so are kind of a moot point to this thread...

Personally, I am glad Kubuntu uses Konqueror instead of Firefox and Krita over GIMP. In Ubuntu, even though Firefox is not a gnome app, it has to drag in half of Gnome. Same with GIMP. If you use Kubuntu, you should grab Firefox from the mozilla site directly, or use swiftfox, so you don't bring in lots of un-needed deps.

cardinals_fan
October 21st, 2008, 05:35 AM
In Ubuntu, even though Firefox is not a gnome app, it has to drag in half of Gnome.
...which says more about the way Ubuntu has packaged Firefox than its value in this situation ;)

EdThaSlayer
October 21st, 2008, 06:38 AM
It would be nice to have a Klean(hehe) system. :)
Everything would be streamlined and when you run an application here or there, it would look "organized". Also, if you're trying to show the benefits of linux, would you rather have a huge mix of different GTK or any other type of app. or just a single one that would make Kubuntu look nice and pretty.

But, it's better to wait till KDE 4.1 has been updated a bit to 4.2. :)

Dragonbite
October 21st, 2008, 01:55 PM
It would be pretty cool to have a KDE-"pure" system

Krita instead of Gimp,
KOffice instead of OpenOffice.org,
Konquerer instead of Firefox (though I would install Firefox for compatibility purposes only)

The beauty of it would be that the entire system would seem more fully integrated and contain similar looks and menu placements.

But I'm not sure if Kubuntu should follow that route. It seems to be positioned as a KDE-based Ubuntu while a KDE-pure system would be more niche-orientated.

I would be interested, though, in trying one. Especially when the apps are ported to KDE 4!