PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing on a new laptop.

IkariKeiji
October 20th, 2008, 10:40 PM
First I'll just state I'm an experienced Linux user, so I know what I'm doing here. I've installed Linux lots of times over 5 different computers so far.

Anyway... I just bought a new Novatech laptop with Vista Home Premium pre-installed, my intention being to also install Ubuntu 8.04 in a dual-boot. I tried this method before with a really old laptop which came with Windows XP pre-installed and it worked fine. But when I attempt to use the Ubuntu CDs on this new laptop, I get several problems:

1. When trying to install Ubuntu 8.04, picking "install" or "check CD for errors" gives me a message about kernel panic. I left it for several minutes but nothing happened so I gave up.
2. When trying to install Ubuntu 6.06, picking these makes the screen go completely insane and what should be the installer flashes all over the place so much that it's unreadable.
3. When trying to install Ubuntu 6.06, changing the screen mode to anything but VGA fixes the above problem, but as soon as it gets past the "Setting up the partitioner", the installer freezes.

If no solutions come up, I guess I'll try Fedora Core or CentOS distributions instead.

I have also posted this on the Novatech Support forums.

Afkpuz
October 20th, 2008, 11:36 PM
I would suggest reburning the iso to disc and using a low speed. If that fails, it could be 1 of 2 things.

1.) bad iso image
2.) hardware incompatibility

IkariKeiji
October 20th, 2008, 11:56 PM
I tried 3 different CDs, all of which worked fine before.

I'm thinking it is hardware problems, but I don't see how Ubuntu could support all my other computers perfectly and have so many problems with this one.