PDA

View Full Version : Can you recommend Slim pocket hard drive?

rhenium3
October 20th, 2008, 10:02 PM
Hi everyone,

I am looking for an external hard drive as my old one got stolen :( It was only 30 MB but it was so reliable and didn't need a power supply separate from the USB!

I would like something slim that can fit in my purse, something that can run on USB power, from 60 to 160 MB, price from $50 - $100, and something that works with Ubuntu! prefer no software installed on it... any suggestions?

Thanks!

Therion
October 20th, 2008, 10:14 PM
The Western Digital Passport (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136245). 160GB, USB-powered, $80 (+tax) and free shipping.

For another $10 you can have other colors. Blue is cheaper... I'm not sure why.

EDIT: Ahhh... You're in Prague. Well now THAT could be an issue. Still... The Passports are great drives if you can find them where you are.

rhenium3
October 21st, 2008, 07:41 AM
actually not an issue as I'm going to the states for thanksgiving :)

Buuuut.... I was looking at these passports and I read somewhere that they tend to fail? And come with weird software? True? Do they work with Ubuntu without a problem? I was close to getting one but then I read the reviews and got worried....

Majorix
October 21st, 2008, 08:18 AM
As far as I can imagine there will be no compatibility issues with Windows with just any HDD. However you might be forced to edit your /etc/fstab for automatically mounting NTFS partitions (if you have any).

I own a Western Digital HDD (not slim). Actually this is my second WD HDD because the other one started malfunctioning and all the repair service could do was give me a new one. All files lost. I can't trust them again and if I was to buy a new external HDD I doubt it would be a WD one.

dirtylobster
October 21st, 2008, 10:25 AM
2nd the Western Digital Passport. I have one and two of my friends has one. Great little drive imo.

mips
October 21st, 2008, 10:31 AM
1. Buuuut.... I was looking at these passports and I read somewhere that they tend to fail?

2. And come with weird software? True?

3. Do they work with Ubuntu without a problem?

4 I was close to getting one but then I read the reviews and got worried....

1. The only 2.5" drive I trust is an Hitachi. Data recovery companies I have dealt with praise the 2.5" Hitachis. For 3.5" drives I will buy Seagate or WD.

2. Sometimes, not all do. If it has software on it you just format the drive, simple as that.

3. Yes it will work fine with Ubuntu.

4. There is another option, see below.

If it was me I would purchase the enclosure & HD seperately for a 2.5" unit as you don't get Hitachi branded ones and it would be hard to know what unit is inside an enclosure. Buy seperate and just install the HD into the enclosure.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010150380%2050001984&name=Hitachi%20Global%20Storage%20Technologies
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010090092%201053807124%201053907127&name=No

Make sure you select the right external interface for you needs ie, USB, Firewire or eSATA. Would be nice if you could get all three of them.
Make sure the enclosure & HD interfaces match ie IDE-IDE or SATA-SATA. I would go for SATA.

dirtylobster
October 21st, 2008, 10:33 AM
I've had mine for roughly over a year. Haven't used any of the software included, either under Windows or Linux. Has also worked flawlessly with both.

Polygon
October 21st, 2008, 02:33 PM
i like the passport, only real problem is that the included cable is reallllly short.

but i got a 320 gb one for like 100 dollars at a costco =)

dirtylobster
October 21st, 2008, 05:14 PM
Heh I again LOVE the short cable. :)

rhenium3
October 21st, 2008, 08:32 PM
but i got a 320 gb one for like 100 dollars at a costco =)

hmmm, costco, didn't even think of that, my mom is a member there... do they have all the normal brands or does it change randomly?

earthpigg
October 21st, 2008, 08:37 PM
Heh I again LOVE the short cable. :)

i actually like the short USB cable, too.

any potential buyer probably has a couple of the exact cable sitting around their house - its the same one used by many cameras, etc.

(im short on usb drives and to lazy to get a hub, so i usually just unplug the chord from my WD passport and plug it right into the camera without the chord being unplugged from the computer)

Polygon
October 22nd, 2008, 02:49 AM
hmmm, costco, didn't even think of that, my mom is a member there... do they have all the normal brands or does it change randomly?

i have no idea, i was scoping out laptops there and i noticed a display of them next to the laptops and I grabbed one. I thought it was a sweet deal =D

Lord Xeb
October 22nd, 2008, 03:13 AM
How about an iOmega eGo Portable 160GB external?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822186057

It is about 80 bucks (shipping included) and it is really durable and doesn't need an external power supply :D

Also here is a 32GB flash drive for 88 bucks

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220261

Erdaron
October 22nd, 2008, 03:26 AM
I have a very slim 60gig Maxtor. Requires not power beyond USB and works with Ubuntu. Absolutely quiet, had it for a couple years without any problems. It comes with a sync utility, but I don't really like how it works so I never use it. Installing it is optional.