PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can't Update/ Install anything

Oh_Buhnanerz
October 20th, 2008, 08:41 PM
No matter what I try to install using the add/ remove applications or how I try to update (any package manager) I have this same error message:

"failed in buffer_read(fd)"

I am fairly new to Ubuntu but have always figured how to fix things but this has me stumped.:confused::mad:](*,)

Thanks in advance :p

Eddit:
I tried the following suggested by Jouke74

Open up a terminal and try the following commands first:
sudo apt-get -f install
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get autoclean

and during the upgrade I received this message:

(Reading database ... dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/linux-libc-dev_2.6.24-21.42_i386.deb (--unpack):
failed in buffer_read(fd): files list for package `sun-java6-jre': Input/output error
Errors were encountered while processing:
/var/cache/apt/archives/linux-libc-dev_2.6.24-21.42_i386.deb
Processing was halted because there were too many errors.
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

makes me want to wipe my HDD:mad:

Partyboi2
October 22nd, 2008, 01:34 AM
Maybe you can try rengerating the sun-java6-jre.list file. Open a terminal and check that you have sun-java6-jre_6-06-0ubuntu1_all.deb (assuming you are using hardy) in /var/cache/apt/archives.

cd /var/cache/apt/archives
ls sun-java6-jre* if it says
ls: cannot access sun-java6-jre*: No such file or directorymeans that you will need to go here (http://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy/all/sun-java6-jre/download) and download it and move it to /var/cache/apt/archives.

sudo mv /home/*/Desktop/sun-java6-jre_6-06-0ubuntu1_all.deb /var/cache/apt/archives then once sun-java6-jre_6-06-0ubuntu1_all.deb is in the /var/cache/apt/archives
give this terminal session admin rights

sudo -sthen

dpkg -c /var/cache/apt/archives/sun-java6-jre_6-06-0ubuntu1_all.deb > /var/lib/dpkg/info/sun-java6-jre.listthen

apt-get -f install
apt-get update
apt-get upgrade