PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Preparing my had drive for kubuntu

the lemming
October 20th, 2008, 07:05 PM
Hello

After leaving Ubuntu/kubuntu alone for a few months I've been lured back to its seductive appeal of no viruses and such like. I've decided on my choice of distro and the fact that it will dual boot with XP.

My question may sound simple to some but I keep scratching my head on what exactly I need to do. Could somebody please explain the partitions I need for / /home and Swap?

Do I format the partitions as ext2, ext3 and do I do some extended partitions in case I go over the 4 primary partitions?

Cheers

22flames
October 20th, 2008, 07:13 PM
well its simple just put in the new 8.04 disk click dual boot and drag the little install slider to resize both windows and the other and thats it easy peasy gota love linux.

22FLAMES

richard.e.morton
October 20th, 2008, 09:10 PM
Hi There,

These days I would consider doing it a different way.

When I dual boot I alsways find that the next thing I want/need to work on requires me to reboot into the other environment, cause of a bit of data, an application or some sort.

I fixed this by installing Ubuntu/Kubuntu in a virtualised desktop with something like virtualbox, which is free. over time convert more and more apps into your preferred environment (hopefully Kubuntu), then next time you reinstall Windows just install it the other way around, Kubuntu as your prime environment with a virtialised Windows environment. Eventually hopefully you'll be able to do away with Windows altogether.

R