PDA

View Full Version : removing dev files after compile

timczer
November 26th, 2005, 05:22 PM
It seems that each time I compile something from source, invariably I will need to download another -dev package. There are now a lot of them on my system. Since I tend to tweak my system on a regular basis, I end up with a lot of memory taken up with things I probably don't need. My question is that I don't know that after the immediate install these -dev files are ever needed again. Can they safely be removed after the program has been installed, or are they needed for the program to run?

Xian
November 26th, 2005, 08:07 PM
My question is that I don't know that after the immediate install these -dev files are ever needed again. Can they safely be removed after the program has been installed, or are they needed for the program to run?
In general they will continue to be needed as long as the package which required them as deps in the first place remains installed on your system.

Roptaty
November 27th, 2005, 01:14 PM
Development files are only needed for compilation of the program, and not running it. Also, development files take generally low space on your computer.

urukrama
July 19th, 2007, 01:41 PM
So if I get this right, it could do no harm to remove -dev packages? If I select them for removal in Synaptic, no often it doesn't tell me other packages depend on it.

Some of these packages do take a lot of space. I just removed the dev files I needed for an application that I no longer use, and it came to about 55 MB!

kknd
July 19th, 2007, 06:14 PM
You can remove -dev packages without worry. They are used only in compiling.

Duranxl
March 30th, 2009, 12:05 PM
i tried doing this, but it also marks build-essential, automake etc for removal when i mark '-dev' files for removal..
I can't remove the -devs without removing build-essential etc:confused: