PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] [SOLVED] Quick Question: Possible negative impact of a "non-standard" home location?

cjchand
October 20th, 2008, 05:04 PM
Folks,

After a failed upgrade to 8.10 from 8.04, I opted to shrink the 8.04 partition and build a new partition to dedicate as the root partition. This also means that I want to keep the previous partition as my /home partition.

I have managed to get things working by altering my two user accounts' /home directories in System -> Users and Groups. The slight side effect of this is that I have to specify the home directories as "/home/home/<userID>" since the user's folders are not in the root of the new /home partition.

Things are working just fine, but I wanted to see if there was a major reason I should not take this approach. Is there some unforeseen consequence for having this kind of setup?

I assume not, since you have the ability to change your /home directory, but I wanted to avoid any major caveats in the future.

Many thanks in advance for any input!

Cheers,
CJC

oldos2er
October 20th, 2008, 07:24 PM
In Linux, there's no such thing as a "non-standard" location for /home. As long as you have your fstab set up correctly, you should be fine.

22flames
October 20th, 2008, 07:25 PM
yah man honestly that sounds good you shouldent have any problems :)

22FLAMES

cjchand
October 20th, 2008, 07:42 PM
Thanks for the replies, folks.

@oldos2er: I think I didn't word my question properly. Let me take another shot, if I may.

I was able to edit fstab to point to use my old partition as /home. The question was whether or not it's required that users' folders be directly under /home, as opposed to what I have currently with the path being /home/home/<userID>.

From the sounds of things, it seems this isn't an issue, but just wanted to be sure.

Again, many thanks for the quick and knowledgeable input!

Cheers,
CJC

22flames
October 20th, 2008, 08:08 PM
no its not required and the guy is right there is no non standerd home .... go LINUX :)

22FLAMES