PDA

View Full Version : The Things I Most Like In Ubuntu...

herrpoon
November 26th, 2005, 05:14 PM
...are not things which are acutally there, but things that aren't there. Let me explain, on my windows XP box, there are 3 or 4 very annoying things which just don't occur when I'm using ubuntu, these are listed below but not limited to:

1. Program not responding/Ctrl + Alt + Del - A day doesn't got by when I'm using XP where I won't have to use "those three buttons" at least once, and more often that not I have to use them three or four times. This just doesn't seem to happen in ubuntu, and to be honest with you, I don't even know what the equivalent Ctrl + Alt + Del is, I hope I'll never have to find out!

2. Restarting - This is for me, perhaps one of the most annoying things about XP, in general, after installing any major program, Norton, some adobe app etc. etc. you always have to restart and in the case of Norotn I had to do this no less than three time in the space of 20 minutes! Now with ubuntu, I very rarely have to restart let alone shut down! I know some might say you only have to do this with a few programs, and thus fairly infrequently but it's still very annoying :mad:

3. Viruses/Spyware - I seem to be constantly fighting the battle against protecting my computer from viruses/spyware, so much so I seem to spend more time scanning, updating, installing on my XP box than anything else! Not only is this a pain, but having norton (in my case) and adaware running really slows down my computer and increases the start time dramiatically!

Don't get me wrong, I will still continue to use XP, but everyday, I lose a little more hair and get more and more annoyed to the extent where I can see myself getting rid of my XP box altogether in the very near future!

/rant over :rolleyes:

majikstreet
November 26th, 2005, 05:59 PM
great :)

Though, you can make the process monitor come up when you type ctrl+alt+del, but you don't need to...... If I were going to do that (I use fluxbox by the way), I'd use the key maps so that ctrl+alt+del opened up an xterm running ps -aux.... which would be xterm -e ps -aux, but the window closes after it opens...strange!

uberlinux
November 26th, 2005, 06:36 PM
great :)

Though, you can make the process monitor come up when you type ctrl+alt+del, but you don't need to...... If I were going to do that (I use fluxbox by the way), I'd use the key maps so that ctrl+alt+del opened up an xterm running ps -aux.... which would be xterm -e ps -aux, but the window closes after it opens...strange!

probably closes the window when it finishes the ps command, try: xterm -e ps -aux &

majikstreet
November 26th, 2005, 06:55 PM
still closes it...

welsh_spud
November 26th, 2005, 10:59 PM
The thing I like most about Ubuntu (and linux in general) occured to me the other day when I went on my friends computer.

You would turn on the computer, the Windows logo would appear with the little bar beneath it, and you would log in. Pretty standard, but then once you logged in, you are asked to fill in so many security program password prompts.

For example, the moment the computer logs you in, a McAfee window would appear (with all its bells and whistls and 'CooL' sound effects) and demand you key in your McAfee password. Pretty stupid, as you could just drag the window off the screen slightly and get on with your life. Then you get those bubbles above the clock that tell you to restart your computer so that windows update can finish installing its patches.

Those things are annoying, but they don't REALLY effect your work too badly, but one thing that does make me greatful that I use Ubuntu is that every time you connect to the internet, it asks you politely if you want to download updates. Windows will just go straight ahead and download that 30Mb patch over your ancient dial up connection. Not fun when you have school coursework due in by the next day ;)

So what do I apreciate the most about Ubuntu? The common sense, and the unobtrusiveness of the software.

/rant

bwog
November 27th, 2005, 12:26 AM
What I liked the most was that almost everything worked after install, internet configured, e-mail, etc. Yes, I had to install drivers for the videocard. It is an enormous difference with Debian from a few years ago, when I decided that I didnt want to spent so much time just to get the mouse and internet running.

However, mentioning McAfee trigerred the urge to respond here. My provider provided it for free, but it made my computer slower, so I decided to remove it. There was no uninstall program. There was an unofficial page with many hints on where to look if you wanted to uninstall. It went wrong and I had to reinstall windows! Some users complain here that installing is hard (which isnt true), but try uninstalling some things in Windows (eg drivers). BTW, I use Avast and Sygate in windows now, free and better.

herrpoon
November 27th, 2005, 12:53 AM
So what do I apreciate the most about Ubuntu? The common sense, and the unobtrusiveness of the software.

Think you've got it in one there! The reason I felt obliged to post today was because all those three things I mentioned happened within about an hour of each other and annoyed me greatly. Then I thought about it, having used ubuntu for a good three months now, I haven't come across those problems and in general I haven't come across any other problems which I havent't been able to fix permanently. Like most people, I had a few problems here and there, mainly in the beginning since ubuntu was the first linux distro I tried, but when I load up ubuntu in the morning now, I know I can do what I want to do without getting frustrated. :KS

shandar
November 27th, 2005, 01:38 AM
Not to mention that when I use killall it actually kills the application immediately. The same applies to almost every application in linux, it simply gets the job done then quits. It doesn't load a whole lot of other stuff (guides, helpers, websites loading to show info or error messages etc) that is supposed to help me but in the end only slows down the computer. You know what you get when you run it :-)

One example I have is Windows Media Player. I decided to try it out instead of Winamp so I loaded all of my music and used it for a couple of days. After a while I returned to Winamp since WMP is too bulky when I discovered that it had connected to the internet and downloaded "extra" information about my mp3s. Sounds like a good idea, but when it couldn't find any info about some of the files it simply removed all data in the ID3 tag. No biggie, but I had to manually rename 300 songs...

Linux is so much more responsive and "obedient". If I don't want something to happen it simply won't.