PDA

View Full Version : What's YOUR "Killer App"?

Kernel Sanders
October 20th, 2008, 02:05 PM
Everyone talks about people/OS's having "killer apps" that make them an absolute must have for some people. For some people that's MSN (seriously), for others that's Firefox which we all know is OS independant pretty much, for others that's Google Earth or uTorrent etc....

Mine, unfortunately is Microsoft Office 2007, particularly Word and Outlook 2007. Man, if those even get Platinum support from wine I will cream my pantaloons!

So, what's your "killer app"? :KS

Dixon Bainbridge
October 20th, 2008, 02:07 PM
Lightroom 2.0 (mac client)
LightZone (has a linux client which is very good)
Nikon's Capture NX 2 (mac client)
GIMP

billgoldberg
October 20th, 2008, 02:10 PM
Everyone talks about people/OS's having "killer apps" that make them an absolute must have for some people. For some people that's MSN (seriously), for others that's Firefox which we all know is OS independant pretty much, for others that's Google Earth or uTorrent etc....

Mine, unfortunately is Microsoft Office 2007, particularly Word and Outlook 2007. Man, if those even get Platinum support from wine I will cream my pantaloons!

So, what's your "killer app"? :KS

My killer app?

Hmm, hard to say.

The apps I use most frequently is Firefox, emesene and gnome-terminal.

Canis familiaris
October 20th, 2008, 02:37 PM
Opera, gcc, python, gedit,...that's all I use and are my "killer" "apps".

SuperSonic4
October 20th, 2008, 02:38 PM
Amarok
KMess
Firefox
Mandriva Control Centre

chucky chuckaluck
October 20th, 2008, 02:42 PM
k3b- brasero is close, but i've always had horrible problems with it, it isn't worth using. even without the problems, i still would prefer k3b.

streamripper - is there anything else like it?

there are a bunch of terminals that would all do. same with music players (cplay is my absolute favorite), window managers, browsers, file managers, etc. krita could possibly be as good as gimp for me, but i'm so used to gimp and have no complaints.

meho_r
October 20th, 2008, 02:45 PM
LaTeX + Kile. There are more, but they come a light year behind mentioned ;)

crimesaucer
October 20th, 2008, 02:48 PM
1.) Firefox-optimized with "-Os -march=athlon64 -msse3 -pipe", and a bunch of other optimizations. Loads quick, feels fast and stable.

2.) Inkscape

3.) Terminal

4.) Thunar's Bulk Rename.

5.) Meld

6.) Stellarium

7.) Links (for when I only have a console)

8.) Emerald/compiz-fusion

9.) xfce4 clipboard panel plugin

10.) pacbuilder (for building everything from source)

gn2
October 20th, 2008, 02:53 PM
Synaptic Package Manager.

Northsider
October 20th, 2008, 06:55 PM
GIMP, Inkscape, Amarok, FF... hmm

bwhite82
October 20th, 2008, 07:26 PM
Gnome weather applet - I can't live without it.

jespdj
October 20th, 2008, 08:06 PM
Two Windows programs: Photoshop CS3 and Apple iTunes. Those are the only two that I'm still using Windows for.

Vitamin-Carrot
October 20th, 2008, 09:29 PM
Erm - Songbird - its a bit slow sometimes and still a beta but a great app all the same

Dosbox - Transport Tycoon FTW

fiddler616
October 20th, 2008, 09:39 PM
gedit
Using Notepad on Windows (heck, even using BlueJ for Java at school) is painful. Vim and Geany are both good too, though.

Daisuke_Aramaki
October 20th, 2008, 09:41 PM
Emacs (nw mode) and gnuplot!

king.pest
October 20th, 2008, 09:59 PM
emacs, zim desktop wiki, gnome do and tomboy. i can hardly imagine working without any of these apps.

blithen
October 20th, 2008, 11:16 PM
Honestly I could not live without CMUS, it's a Command Line Music Player for Linux and I went back to windows for a bit and the reason I switched back was for CMUS. xD

cl0ckwork
October 21st, 2008, 04:50 AM
windows -- mediamonky and mostly general knowledge of the OS (hey i only used it for 8 years or so)

linux -- conky, deluge, and boredum (learning more everyday)

cardinals_fan
October 21st, 2008, 04:52 AM
dwm, Perl, Zsh, Vimperator, GIMP

chucky chuckaluck
October 21st, 2008, 05:19 AM
Gnome weather applet - I can't live without it.

no windows?

-grubby
October 21st, 2008, 05:59 AM
wmii, if it counts as an app

mintochris
October 21st, 2008, 06:00 AM
It's a close run thing between Lyx and mythtv, but myth has to take the biscuit as it just does so much stuff and after a brief, simple, and well documented install it just works, as do all of the plugins. Maybe I just got lucky!

etnlIcarus
October 21st, 2008, 07:45 AM
Synaptic Package Manager.

This.

Also, Deluge, Firefox and Liferea are in the running.

Jim!
October 21st, 2008, 08:02 AM
Opera and Firefox (Use both), Terminal, Pidgin, Banshee, gedit.

pt123
October 21st, 2008, 09:58 AM
Firefox (if you were allowed to marry applications I would)

I love how they treat Linux equally, unlike this Chrome nonsense.

Yoke & Chung
October 21st, 2008, 10:09 AM
None for me personally, I have learnt to use Linux alternatives. However, I sure hope to see Sims 2 runs on Linux and Canon Selphy Photo Printer working, those are the 2 killers apps for my wife who is still running Windows on her laptop.

etnlIcarus
October 21st, 2008, 10:32 AM
Firefox (if you were allowed to marry applications I would)

I love how they treat Linux equally, unlike this Chrome nonsense.

Firefox on *nix is slower than Firefox on Windows. Also, the tighter GTK+ emulation and ability to pick up a few system icons was an after-thought which only entered trunk after the OSS community were particularly vocal about Mozilla beginning to slip on *nix support. Mozilla Labs projects like Prism offered *nix binaries several weeks after the win32 binaries became available.

Certainly a better situation than that of Chrome but it's not exactly an equal relationship.

pt123
October 21st, 2008, 11:37 AM
Firefox on *nix is slower than Firefox on Windows.
Also, the tighter GTK+ emulation and ability to pick up a few system icons was an after-thought which only entered trunk after the OSS community were.
It is also Gnome's fault they need to be more engaging with Firefox and go out of their way to assist Mozilla in implementing new features.

Rather wasting resources with Epiphany which was had a functional gecko engine, but in their quest to use webkit they are not patching bugs in epiphany-gecko and they still haven't been able to deliver Epiphany-webkit.

etnlIcarus
October 21st, 2008, 11:43 AM
Yeah they keep saying epiphany-webkit is almost stable but I've got regular builds. It's nowhere near becoming the stable default.

kinematic
October 21st, 2008, 11:48 AM
My killer apps are Deluge and Mencoder (using XviD with the VAQ patch). I rip alot of dvd's to avi's and Mencoder gives me the control I need over all of XviD's options.

bwhite82
October 21st, 2008, 10:07 PM
no windows?

That would require effort. There's the radar in the applet too...

urukrama
October 21st, 2008, 11:25 PM
In no particular order:

Opera
Openbox
Notecase
dzen2
bash
Thunar
Midnight commander

1cewolf
October 22nd, 2008, 02:02 PM
I've got a few.

Firefox, since it gives me full control over what I encounter on the Internet. Now if only I could use Adblock Plus on those annoying TV, radio, and newspaper ads...

Thunderbird, which puts Evolution to shame. Thunderbird 3 is looking even better!

Synaptic, which I think is the best package management tool available. I hope Ubuntu doesn't make the mistake of adopting PackageKit.

-grubby
October 22nd, 2008, 02:51 PM
I love how they treat Linux equally

http://www.opera.com/download/linux/

littletinman
October 22nd, 2008, 02:55 PM
Open Office
Gmail
Google Docs
Tomboy Notes
Exaile
And as for web browser: Linux: Epiphany
Windows: Chrome (the most amazing ever)

Vadi
October 22nd, 2008, 03:07 PM
Linux: Compiz (it's great, ok?).

Other than that... GScrot (http://gscrot.ubuntu-projekte.de/), the gnome panel (applications places system one. best design ever), workrave (apt:workrave) (it's a love/hate relationship there).

Web: Adobe's Acrobat.com (http://http://www.adobe.com/acom/) (sorry google docs, but aren't particularly appealing when compared to this), GMail (most decent web-based email available. Decent spam protection, nice space, and a decent contacts manager (new one sucks though, I have to keep switching to old one everytime)), Wordpress (what can I say? It's just simple, and has tons of themes/plugins available, making it quite appealing. I wish it was more secure though).

Xyhthyx
October 22nd, 2008, 03:31 PM
My own application, Parcellite (http://parcellite.sourceforge.net).

razerbug
October 22nd, 2008, 04:27 PM
Now if only I could use Adblock Plus on those annoying TV, radio, and newspaper ads...

Then you would cripple our economies (okay okay bit late for that but...) and would ensure we had to pay for everything because it is advertising that keeps everything, including most Open Source ventures, free.

back on topic: I'm not sure what a 'killer app' actually is, other than an annoying buzzword. I guess Photoshop is something I use regularly, a web browser (no huge preference) is something I always need... but nothing 'killer' springs to mind.

Christmas
October 22nd, 2008, 06:20 PM
Amarok for being such a wonderful, beautiful and powerful audio player. When I switched to Linux three years ago all I knew was Winamp, from back to versions 2.x (2.9x especially), then 5.x, so it took a while to get used to Amarok and change my habits (I also used XMMS when I started with Linux, but that didn't last long).

The other application I can think about is Basket (http://basket.kde.org/), a KDE notes-taking application which allows to create full projects, not just simple notes. I also like KTorrent and SMPlayer, but the latter is available on Windows too.

I love CLI tools too, although these ones are available on Windows too (I think): flac, vorbis-tools, and many, many others.

Ub1476
October 22nd, 2008, 06:23 PM
SlideRocket.com

Online, awesome presentation app. Written in Flash so requires a bit powerful/modern computer to run flawless.

Orlsend
October 22nd, 2008, 06:30 PM
I think FireFox,CS2 PS and Skype

bruce89
October 22nd, 2008, 07:34 PM
What's YOUR "Killer App"?

Assisted suicide is illegal in this country.

S0VERE1GN
October 22nd, 2008, 07:55 PM
The Terminal.

with what other program can i take my computer from formatted to fully functional with all of my programs with a single line of code?

and check all of the "this day in history" trivia facts you need by typing calendar :guitar:

Gigamo
October 22nd, 2008, 08:43 PM
Awesome, Vim and MPD.

Lord Xeb
October 22nd, 2008, 08:48 PM
Mine is wicd :D way better and faster than NWM

TooRight
October 22nd, 2008, 09:32 PM
A friend of mine decided to try Ubuntu after seeing how great it worked for me. A few weeks later he was bitching and bellyaching and begging me to switch him back to Windows. The reason? Paltalk isn't compatible and he "needed" his "Adult Playground" so he could watch the cams... sheesh lol