PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Kubuntu 8.10? Will it replace KDE 3 with KDE 4?

kaldor
October 20th, 2008, 12:37 PM
I love Kubuntu. I hate KDE4. When I upgrade, will KDE 3.5(or whatever version is in 8.04) be lost? I want to upgrade, but I do not like KDE4.. at all. I would rather use Vista than use a horribly bloated resource hog DE like KDE4. I have tried KDE4 on Fedora, Kubuntu and OpenSuSE, so do not assume I have not given it enough of a chance (I spent a few days trying to work with KDE4 to see if it would grow on me).

Anyway, with that explanation/rant over with, my point is; Will upgrading to Ibex replace KDE 3 with KDE 4?

benerivo
October 20th, 2008, 01:17 PM
Yes i'm quite sure it will upgrade to kde4. I'm using the ibex beta now, and there is no kde3 desktop in the repository. All the packages are named the same, only that they are no the kde4 versions, so it should upgrade them to kde4. See all the intrepid kde packages here (http://packages.ubuntu.com/intrepid/kde/).

kaldor
October 20th, 2008, 01:18 PM
There is one thing I do see though.

In Hardy, you can add KDE4 and have KDE 3 as well. If I already have KDE3, will it possibly just add KDE4?

benerivo
October 20th, 2008, 01:23 PM
I don't think it will as the package names will be identical. In hardy they did this by using different package names sudh as kubuntu-desktop and kubuntu-desktop-kde4 and kdebase and kdebase-kde4, etc... But in intrepid there is just one kdebase, and one kubuntu-desktop which is the kde4 version.

kaldor
October 20th, 2008, 01:27 PM
Ah, yes. That is true.

All I can do is hope that KDE 4 becomes better sometime soon.

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it :)

darrelljon
October 20th, 2008, 01:33 PM
gutted, that I have to upgrade to KDE4, I think I will use IceWM instead.