PDA

View Full Version : Installing flash (Firefox) & Radeon driver

Mark224
October 20th, 2008, 10:08 AM
Hi,

I have just downloaded and installed Ubuntu 8.04 LTS (Desktop) and it was an amazingly quick and easy process :-).

However I did have a couple of minor issues and I would be grateful if anyone could help.

1. I installed Flash player for Firefox using the instructions on this site: http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/flash. Everything appeared to proceed fine. I got the dialog saying "Sucessfully applied all changes". However when I look at the installed plugins flash player is not listed. When I visited a site that needs flash then it still shows the message saying flash is not installed. I have restarted Firefox and even rebooted but still it does not work. I tried to install flash again but, of course, it says it is already installed.

2. I had problems installing the recommended ATI driver. I tried installing it by enabling it in the restricted drivers GUI and I tried using the command line. In both cases it proceeds as far as to try to download the actual driver file from the repository but I always get "404 file not found" error. I haven't had any troubles downloading anything else. This is not a show stopper for me since I successfully downloaded and installed the ATI binary driver, but I would rather have the open source version.

Thanks, Mark.

itix
October 21st, 2008, 03:30 PM
The official means of installing Flash has gone trough a series of improvements lately. If you go to the adobe site and choose to download flashplayer for linux, yyou get the choice of dowloading a .deb for debian/ubuntu. Use that and you'll have flashplayer 10 which is fresh out of the oven and a bit more stable than 9 that is shipped through the repositories (in other words, firefox won't crash every 3 seconds =p).

Mark224
October 25th, 2008, 03:41 PM
I tried what you suggested but I still have exactly the same issue.
Synaptic says that "adobe-flashplugin" is installed (version 10) but I still get the same error messages on iplayer & youtube.

Mark224
October 25th, 2008, 07:36 PM
I finally got the "flashplugin-nonfree" one to work. I had no success with the one from Adobe.

itix
October 28th, 2008, 12:33 PM
That's wierd. At least it is woking correctly.

Mark224
October 29th, 2008, 12:57 PM
Thanks for the replies. Now I can move on to kernel and DST problems ;-)