PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] VMware and dual-booting

hoboy
October 20th, 2008, 07:46 AM
I am using dual booting ubuntu and vista, I am planing to install VMware but i don't if it should be on vista or ubuntu, does anybody has an experiences on that ?
I need some adviace

Partyboi2
October 21st, 2008, 08:16 AM
I think it comes down to personal preference, if it was me I would install vmware in ubuntu and use windows as the guest.

GerryH001
October 21st, 2008, 08:33 AM
I am using dual booting ubuntu and vista, I am planing to install VMware but i don't if it should be on vista or ubuntu, does anybody has an experiences on that ?
I need some adviace

hi hoboy,
what do you mean exactly? Do you want to stop dual booting, and use a vm guest on a ubuntu or vista host? In that case I advise you to think which platform you need the most, and use that as your host system. The extra's would well be equipped with a vm.

Or do you want to install vmware on either ubuntu or vista? So keep the dual boot? No advise on that, I have only personal experience with vista and vmware, and that does perform really well and stable on a laptop with 2GB memory.

Or do you plan to use vmware as the third option, kind of as a 'triple boot'? Vmware Workstation needs an OS. I don't have much experience with esx, but you could read up on that option on the vmware site.