PDA

View Full Version : Pro audio recording/editing on linux. Is it worth it?

MetalMusicAddict
November 26th, 2005, 03:07 PM
does anything in linux support VST plugins? Or any audio instrument support?
This Im not sure of but I bet if you wanted to you could find out. :)

Sorry to say this but programs like logic audio, cubase and pro tools are so far ahead of anything i've ever seen in linux, I can't see any serious professional using linux, especially now that logic audio is native on the mac.
At the moment I think your almost right. ;) I know of 2 people now that use Ardour full time and are doing some great things.

And to move great linux software forward we need to support it so it can get better.

Paulus
November 26th, 2005, 03:19 PM
Am I correct in thinking that the mac is based on unix? Therefore a port of some kind for logic audio shouldn't be too far beyond the linux relm? I guess my (personal) complaints are because I find it difficult to drop my amazing sounds I use with logic audio on winblows, I am sure that pure MIDI work with rack processed audio would be wonderfull on linux, unfortunatly the various VST plugins you can get nowerdays are starting to surpass rack units - they are the future.

MetalMusicAddict
November 26th, 2005, 03:43 PM
Am I correct in thinking that the mac is based on unix? Yes. BSD I belive.

Therefore a port of some kind for logic audio shouldn't be too far beyond the linux relm?
Sounds good but I think it depends on money , support and time to get it going on Linux.

I guess my (personal) complaints are because I find it difficult to drop my amazing sounds I use with logic audio on winblows, I am sure that pure MIDI work with rack processed audio would be wonderfull on linux,
Theres tons of MIDI support for Linux but since I havnt built my new rig yet I havnt really tried it out. :)

unfortunatly the various VST plugins you can get nowerdays are starting to surpass rack units - they are the future.
Ahh the power of computers. Good and bad. :)

As far as pro Linux audio I think its something you really have to want to do. Just like switching your desktop.

Ive gotten really jazzed up about it because of the info Ive found and my new love of Linux.

If you Google for "Linux audio" youll find alot of info and the more you look the more cool stuff youll find. Better fourms than this for audio.

I come from a Pro-Tools background. But Ive come to hate Digi-design almost as much a MS. Its a good and bad thing they bought M-Audio. Good because it means you dont have to buy their damn expencive DSP cards but bad because I think they will make it harder for other apps to work with 'em. As of now M-Audio and Hammerfall cards have great Linux audio support. That might change soon for M-Audio. IMHO. ;)

PS: Love the avatar. ;)