PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] install issues with partion editor

ginestre
October 19th, 2008, 11:05 PM
Hello. I'm wanting to put Hardy on a dual boot machine, the other boot being XP. The machine was previously Feisty/XP. I've decided to do clean installs of everything so as to clear out the attic, as it were.

After reinstalling XP on its own partition, I launch the live CD for Hardy. No problems until I get to the partition editor: it does not see the HD, which is still partitioned exactly as it was under Feisty. Any ideas anyone?

ginestre
October 20th, 2008, 07:53 AM
<BUMP> and more info

The partition editor options are all greyed out at step 4 of 7 - preparation of the hard disk - and I get an error message saying that no root file system has been defined (which is true, because the partitioner doesn't give me any options to anything at all).

Additionally, I now notice that the new Places browse function on the left doesn't contain any reference whatsoever anywhere to the HD. It seems it is just invisible. If I look in /media, it's empty.

Any ideas?

TIA, as always.

Ususbuntung
October 20th, 2008, 11:54 AM
hi, when you are in hardy desktop, can it see the disk?
i mean if you click place home etc, your disk is well seen?

ginestre
October 20th, 2008, 12:09 PM
hi, when you are in hardy desktop, can it see the disk?
i mean if you click place home etc, your disk is well seen?

No. There's nothing there at all.

az
October 20th, 2008, 12:53 PM
I have seen the Windows install disk tie the partition table into a knot when trying to deal with preexisting linux partitions. What does

cat /proc/partitions

show? (Run it from the live cd.)

As well, what does

sudo lshw -C disk -short

show?

If you can see the drive using the above commands, then I would suspect the partition table is corrupt and needs to be fixed (is is simple to do - use Testdisk)

ginestre
October 20th, 2008, 02:36 PM
thanks. This is what I get

cat /proc/partitions

show? (Run it from the live cd.)

As well, what does

sudo lshw -C disk -short

show?

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ cat /proc/partitions
major minor #blocks name

7 0 685352 loop0
ubuntu@ubuntu:~$
ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo lshw -C disk -short
H/W path Device Class Description
================================================== ========
/0/100/1c/0.1/0.0.0 /dev/cdrom disk DVDRAM GSA-H42N
/0/100/1c/0.1/0.0.0/0 /dev/cdrom disk
ubuntu@ubuntu:~$:confused:

EDIT: I tried Testdisk to see what it could see, and it returned the worrying message

no harddisk found

az
October 20th, 2008, 05:18 PM
I figure you can't see the drive in the bios. If that is the case, then there is no way any software can see it. Can you confirm this?

ginestre
October 20th, 2008, 05:29 PM
Can the BIOS see the HD?

Well, XP boots happily; and the BIOS setup correctly reports both make and model (MAXTOR STM 325882) in the HD Boot Sequence Priority options, so I think it does. Is there another way to double-check this, or is that enough to say the BIOS is seeing the disk?

I also tried GParted live disk, and it doesn't see the HD. Yet XP does!*?!|:confused: