PDA

View Full Version : Need a grad course project idea for a 'Network Security' course

aashay
October 19th, 2008, 10:16 PM
I am in a graduate course that deals with network security. The course includes a project which has to be completed by the 1st week of december. Going by the fact that the professor has not set any deadlines for the proposals yet, I'd say he expects a small one which can be completed in a month or so (A team of three is going to work on the project).
The topics we have dealt with include:
1)Botnets (very introductory)
2)Overview of computer security (not very project-oriented topic)
3)Crypto(DES, IDEA, RSA etc)
4)Hashing
5)Key distribution and management
6)Authentication(Kerberos etc)
7)Pitfalls in secure handshakes

Topics yet to be covered:
Firewalls, IP security, Web security, Wireless security, Writing secure code, Virues and worms, fault tolerant computing

I know this question is a little out of place here, but since this is the only forum i frequent (will try reddit if this doesn't work out :() Since atleast a handful of you should be well versed in security, I thought I'd give it a shot.

The idea I had was cracking (or trying, failing and appreciating the security of a ) WEP, WPA, secret keys, hashes (one of these) using CUDA (Nvidia SDK) or a IBM Cell BE. The other two members don't want to learn CUDA or Cell programming (I need to learn it anyway for another course) ... hence this post.

aashay
October 24th, 2008, 06:26 PM
*bump*
Even a very vague idea would do :confused: