PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Help with synaptic

jagc
October 19th, 2008, 09:23 PM
I was trying to install gtktools but the program froze and I turned off and on the computer and now everytime I try to open synaptic it says this:

E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem.
E: _cache->open() failed, please report.

I tried writing "dpkg --configure -a" on the terminal but it says that I need superuser privileges.

What can I do?

gila_monster
October 19th, 2008, 09:28 PM
I was trying to install gtktools but the program froze and I turned off and on the computer and now everytime I try to open synaptic it says this:

E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem.
E: _cache->open() failed, please report.

I tried writing "dpkg --configure -a" on the terminal but it says that I need superuser privileges.

What can I do?

You need to run that command as root, so you need to type:

sudo dpkg --configure -a

You will be prompted for your password. sudo is the command that you use when you need to be the superuser/root. It runs just that one command in superuser mode. Ubuntu does this as a safety feature of sorts.

jagc
October 19th, 2008, 10:14 PM
You need to run that command as root, so you need to type:

sudo dpkg --configure -a

You will be prompted for your password. sudo is the command that you use when you need to be the superuser/root. It runs just that one command in superuser mode. Ubuntu does this as a safety feature of sorts.

Thank you :)
It seems it works, BUT this happens:

adrian@adrian-desktop:~$ sudo dpkg --configure -a
[sudo] password for adrian:
Configuring libmp4v2-0 (1:1.6dfsg-0.2ubuntu1) ...

Configuring gnupod-tools (0.98.3-1.1ubuntu1) ...

Nothing happens after that, is there any way I can cancel the installation of that program?

zvacet
October 19th, 2008, 11:06 PM
It looks like configuring is done.Did you tried to run that program and see if it works?Do you have any kind of problem installing other packages?

jagc
October 20th, 2008, 02:42 AM
It looks like configuring is done.Did you tried to run that program and see if it works?Do you have any kind of problem installing other packages?

I tried to run it, but it kept saying the same, but I already fixed it.
I wrote on the terminal:

sudo dpkg --configure -a && sudo apt-get -f install

And problem solved :)

Thanks again