PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu on my computer's funeral.

nerd0795
October 19th, 2008, 08:41 PM
You will be greatly missed ubuntu. You've shown me the power and headaches of open source software. I installed you on my system with the ubuntu 8.04 live cd and showed you to your brother Windows Vista. Now you pass away into the 0's and 1's in the sky. For all you have shown me, I have learned so much.

You will be missed.

You died from my USB wireless reciever overheating. You kept trying to connect. I restarted you, and you didn't shut down. You gave me random error messages. I booted you up and kernal was gone. You said you could not find a suitable kernal. You will be missed. The reason of how a usb wireless reciever that overheated (Yes that did happen. It was crudding hot and didn't work until I let it cool down) is beyond me. I wish you the best of luck in the computer after life. You will be missed. Show your tears people. Don't be ashamed. Ubuntu was a great operating system. He's forever gone from my computer. His brother Windows Vista will take lead role of the computer. I could reinstall another but there's no point. All the work I did to train him would be have to re done. There will be another computer to have a new family of Operating Systems too. There might be another ubuntu install. REST IN PEACE UBUNTU.

Winter 2008- October 19, 2008 RIP.

Yes, this did happen.

LaRoza
October 19th, 2008, 08:42 PM
Wait! Can anything be saved?

nerd0795
October 19th, 2008, 08:43 PM
I don't have any important files on ubuntu. There was nothing important I could trust him with.

There is also no reason to fix ubuntu. I'll be doing a reformat soon anyways.

FuturePilot
October 19th, 2008, 08:45 PM
:cry:

nerd0795
October 19th, 2008, 08:46 PM
:cry:

Wow, now I'm crying.

nerd0795
October 19th, 2008, 08:49 PM
I'll try to revive him. Let's see if he will boot up. Hope for the best. I will report the results.

sdowney717
October 19th, 2008, 08:51 PM
upgrade to IBEX and see if that works better.

nerd0795
October 19th, 2008, 08:54 PM
Glorious news, my friends. It works now.

Literally what the f*** is going on? It just said the kernal was missing. Now, after I cooled down the usb wireless reciever it works?

Kernel Sanders
October 19th, 2008, 08:58 PM
Failbuntu has failed :(

nerd0795
October 19th, 2008, 08:59 PM
Failbuntu has failed :(

Wha? I dun get it :|

eragon100
October 19th, 2008, 09:00 PM
Glorious news, my friends. It works now.

Literally what the f*** is going on? It just said the kernal was missing. Now, after I cooled down the usb wireless reciever it works?

Reincarnation! :confused:

nerd0795
October 19th, 2008, 09:02 PM
Reincarnation! :confused:

I seem to always have the weirdest things happen to me on computers.

jimi_hendrix
October 19th, 2008, 09:02 PM
i, the god of rock, has placed the kernel of life back in your system

nerd0795
October 19th, 2008, 09:03 PM
i, the god of rock, has placed the kernel of life back in your system

Yay! Thank you. :)

BobSongs
October 19th, 2008, 09:04 PM
:-k Overheating, eh? That's too bad. It would be interesting to see if this glitch would be repeated under a fresh install. I imagine you were using Hardy Heron and not a future beta?

[-o< Maybe you'll re-install. But I do understand the difficulty of resetting everything. What helps me reduce this messiness is a /home folder on a different partition. It doesn't help in terms of fine tuning, but my desktop and favorites are all there when a fresh layer of Ubuntu is painted on my hard disk.

:sad: Sorry to hear about your troubles. Ubuntu has been my primary OS since 2005, in the bygone days of Breezy Badger.

:cry: If there's no hope for a fresh coat of Ubuntu on your hard disk drive... then we'll weep with you. Even more so if you're going Vista.

The views expressed concerning the Vista operating system are those of the author and not necessarily those of the Ubuntu Forums. However, most forum members are probably too busy enjoying Ubuntu to consider Vista an issue. Some are not even aware that Microsoft has foisted Vista on the public. Viewer discression is advised. Offer not available in Siberia or the state of Wisconsin. No returns without a lame reason.

nlinecomputers
October 19th, 2008, 09:06 PM
How could this happen?

Your wireless card is bad. Probably shorting out and grounding the system. Replace it. The system might be failing to boot because the faulty card is causing problems with overall performance of the system. It is surprising that windows booted on it but I've seen it happen. Your need to remove that faulty wireless card before you do permanent damage to your system.

nerd0795
October 19th, 2008, 09:07 PM
:-k Overheating, eh? That's too bad. Probably a momentary glitch. I imagine you were using Hardy Heron and not a future beta?

[-o< Maybe you'll re-install. But I do understand the difficulty of resetting everything. What helps me reduce this messiness is a /home folder on a different partition. It doesn't help in terms of fine tuning, but my desktop and favorites are all there when a fresh layer of Ubuntu is painted on my hard disk.

:sad: Sorry to hear about your troubles. Ubuntu has helped me be my primary OS since 2005 with Breezy Badger.

:cry: If there's no hope for a fresh coat of Ubuntu on your hard disk drive... then we'll weep with you. Even more so if you're going Vista.

The views expressed concerning the Vista operating system are those of the author and not necessarily those of the Ubuntu Forums. However, most forum members are probably too busy enjoying Ubuntu to consider Vista an issue. Some are not even aware that Microsoft has foisted Vista on the public. Viewer discression is advised. Offer not available in Siberia or the state of Wisconsin. No returns without a lame reason.

But it works now ;). Dunno how. It said that the kernal was missing when my usb wireless reciever didn't work so I really don't have a clue what happened. After I cooled it down now ubuntu works???

nerd0795
October 19th, 2008, 09:08 PM
How could this happen?

Your wireless card is bad. Probably shorting out and grounding the system. Replace it. The system might be failing to boot because the faulty card is causing problems with overall performance of the system. It is surprising that windows booted on it but I've seen it happen. Your need to remove that faulty wireless card before you do permanent damage to your system.

It's an external usb wireless reciever. it's not a wireless card. maybe if it wasn't for the fact of using the computer so much lately.

Windows Vista was able to boot while it still was over heating. It must be some ubuntu thing, like when I disabled firewire (which I don't have) in ubuntu, ubuntu couldn't boot while Vista was able too. It just makes no sense :|

BobSongs
October 19th, 2008, 09:10 PM
But it works now ;). Dunno how. It said that the kernal was missing when my usb wireless reciever didn't work so I really don't have a clue what happened. After I cooled it down now ubuntu works???

:lolflag: KEWL!

nerd0795
October 19th, 2008, 09:12 PM
:lolflag: KEWL!

It's the power of the Alex (my name) like I alwasys say. Like when my family computer wasn't able to boot. I tried once and it booted. When the toaster doesn't work. It keeps popping up and won't hold down. I do it once it works. I just have superior luck for odd events.

nlinecomputers
October 19th, 2008, 09:15 PM
It's an external usb wireless reciever. it's not a wireless card. maybe if it wasn't for the fact of using the computer so much lately.

Windows Vista was able to boot while it still was over heating. It must be some ubuntu thing, like when I disabled firewire (which I don't have) in ubuntu, ubuntu couldn't boot while Vista was able too. It just makes no sense :|

I disagree. It's plugged into your computer getting power and data from the USB bus. If the unit is faulty it can cause issues. Ubuntu may be more sensitive then vista is about it. I had a similar issue once with a network card on a dual boot windows 98 windows 2000 box. System would work fine in 98 but would BSOD in Windows 2000. It was a faulty network card that I replaced with an identical working unit. I knew it was the network card because the problem would follow the card to other Windows 2000 and Xp units. Always worked on the 98 boxes. Go figure. In your case you have obviously hot card = obvious problem.

nerd0795
October 19th, 2008, 09:20 PM
I disagree. It's plugged into your computer getting power and data from the USB bus. If the unit is faulty it can cause issues. Ubuntu may be more sensitive then vista is about it. I had a similar issue once with a network card on a duel boot windows 98 windows 2000 box. System would work fine in 98 but would BSOD in Windows 2000. It was a faulty net work card that I replaced with an identical working unit. I new it was the network card because the problem would follow the card to other Windows 2000 and Xp units. Always worked on the 98 boxes. Go figure. In your case you have obviously hot card = obvious problem.

I know someone who is a computer repair, I'll ask him to check it out then.

smoker
October 19th, 2008, 09:39 PM
if there's any doubt, keep it away from your computer, it will only do damage, maybe not immediately noticeable!

anyway, glad ubuntu is back :-)

Dr Small
October 19th, 2008, 09:43 PM
Winter 2008- October 19, 2008 RIP.

Impossible.

smoker
October 19th, 2008, 09:52 PM
Impossible.

maybe not all the kernel advances are documented (time travelling ubuntu :-))

bagle
October 19th, 2008, 09:55 PM
HORRAY FOR THE POWER OF ALEX THE DIVINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! just incredible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nerd0795
October 19th, 2008, 09:57 PM
HORRAY FOR THE POWER OF ALEX THE DIVINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! just incredible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ROFL :lolflag::lolflag::lolflag::lolflag:

nerd0795
October 19th, 2008, 09:57 PM
Impossible.

It was spring 2008

nlinecomputers
October 19th, 2008, 10:20 PM
Simply being a USB card your system should boot fine into Ubuntu if the unit is NOT plugged up. That right there should tell you something.

nerd0795
October 19th, 2008, 10:33 PM
Simply being a USB card your system should boot fine into Ubuntu if the unit is NOT plugged up. That right there should tell you something.

It only happened, when it stopped working for no reason. I unplugged it, then let teh computer sit for several minutes. Plugged it back in and then ubuntu worked.

razerbug
October 19th, 2008, 10:39 PM
This is why I have ubuntu on a external USB drive... Ubuntu is fun to play with but it's older, wiser, brother Vista will be there when you've partied to hard and it's all gone wrong