PDA

View Full Version : You need some money?

costoa
December 29th, 2004, 09:32 PM
Does ubuntuforums need money? I ask because I just gave a donation to somafm.org (http://somafm.org) (good music streaming site and it's ad free) via Amazon's "Honor System". Quick, easy, painless and didn't require setting up a paypal account (since I use amazon for buying stuff). They take a pretty small cut.

I use ubuntuforums and, like others, would like to help out. A few bucks from a few people can help a lot of people stay informed. Plus you guys eat, right? So, oh great leaders of ubuntuforums, how are you surviving? Personally I'd rather donate than see you guys forced to sell ads.

And you saw the subject and thought it was a scam or spam. =)

rbran100
December 29th, 2004, 09:40 PM
Sounds good to me, but i would rather use my paypal account if I was going to make a contrabution. I say if because sadly i am to poor to donate any of my money anywhere :-( However my programming services become avalible from time to time and i am commited to helping out UbuntU.

costoa
December 29th, 2004, 10:10 PM
Sounds good to me, but i would rather use my paypal account if I was going to make a contrabution. I say if because sadly i am to poor to donate any of my money anywhere :-( However my programming services become avalible from time to time and i am commited to helping out UbuntU.

Nothing stopping them from using both. That's what somafm does.

piedamaro
December 30th, 2004, 03:53 PM
I can't speak for forum's maintainers, but I'm sure Canonical with Mark Shuttleworth behind don't need donations :)

costoa
December 30th, 2004, 06:12 PM
I can't speak for forum's maintainers, but I'm sure Canonical with Mark Shuttleworth behind don't need donations :)

Is unbutuforums still separate from Ubuntu, Mark Shuttleworth, et al? I was guessing that someone outside Ubuntu was paying for this server and bandwidth.

jdodson
December 30th, 2004, 08:04 PM
Is unbutuforums still separate from Ubuntu, Mark Shuttleworth, et al? I was guessing that someone outside Ubuntu was paying for this server and bandwidth.

you can always donate directly to me. i really need that new computer:) j/k, ubuntugeek is the site maintainer, if you want to donate PM him.

ubuntu-geek
December 30th, 2004, 10:19 PM
Yep I pay for the server and the bandwidth every month :) I'll think about a good way for people to donate if they want to :)

costoa
December 31st, 2004, 12:12 AM
Yep I pay for the server and the bandwidth every month :) I'll think about a good way for people to donate if they want to :)

If you sign up with Amazon's Honor System I'll donate. BTW, I have no connection or interest with Amazon, I just thought their HS was a really good way to donate money. Anyone with an Amazon account can use it without any extra registration. Using Paypal was also suggested. Not that I'm a fan of them but it doesn't hurt to have both.

You do good work here. Donations won't make you rich but might take a small dent out of your monthly bill. Since I get something from ubuntuforums I feel obligated to give something back in return. Good karma and all that. =)

leviathon
December 31st, 2004, 02:48 AM
I would donate also. This site and zd7000forums were instrumental in getting ubuntu up and going for me, saving me many, many hours of googling :D

mark
December 31st, 2004, 04:00 AM
PayPal works (I used it a couple of months ago for a donation to Canonical) but beware! Within a week of signing up with PayPal, I got hit by a phishing scam. So - use PayPal but make sure any correspondence you get from "them" is really from them.

ubuntu-geek, I'll sign up for a (very!) modest endorsement <g>, when you get something in place...

alpha
December 31st, 2004, 02:35 PM
Just had a quick look at the Amazon Honour System, this one of the things I don't like about it:

How do I receive my money?
Amazon.com will transfer your Amazon Honor System earnings directly into your checking account. You can initiate a disbursement at any time, provided your Honor System account balance is at least $1.00. In addition, we will automatically disburse your earnings every 14 days (as long as you have at least $1.00 in your account). And, you can track your earnings and review your transactions online. Please note that Honor System payments are voluntary. Therefore, a payor may refund himself for any reason and with no questions asked up to 30 days after a payment is made. There is no process by which you may contest a payor-initiated refund.

ubuntu-geek
January 10th, 2005, 04:48 AM
Update, I will setup a paypal donate link this week for those who want to donate to the forums.

jdong
January 11th, 2005, 11:52 PM
I'll definitely submit in my entire $3.77 that I've received as donations for backports!

Backports has turned into a much larger, more time consuming project than I originally anticipated. The latest count shows around 230-240 backported packages, almost 200MB worth of packages. I don't know how long I can keep this up, but I'm definitely trying...

CowPie
January 23rd, 2005, 06:18 AM
I'll definitely submit in my entire $3.77 that I've received as donations for backports!

Backports has turned into a much larger, more time consuming project than I originally anticipated. The latest count shows around 230-240 backported packages, almost 200MB worth of packages. I don't know how long I can keep this up, but I'm definitely trying...
jdong we love you!!

Jad
January 23rd, 2005, 09:45 AM
PayPal works (I used it a couple of months ago for a donation to Canonical) but beware! Within a week of signing up with PayPal, I got hit by a phishing scam. So - use PayPal but make sure any correspondence you get from "them" is really from them.

ubuntu-geek, I'll sign up for a (very!) modest endorsement <g>, when you get something in place...
Credit card.
CashU Card.