PDA

View Full Version : What is your opinion on Ubuntu?

etdsbastar
October 19th, 2008, 07:40 PM
Only for Friends Who Switched to Ubuntu and working on it:

Tell me your opinion in using Ubuntu. Because I found it very beautiful, interesting and glamorous.

Its working, bug free packages (as i have noticed till now) is totally different and enjoyable to work with.

Awaiting for your reply...

cariboo
October 19th, 2008, 08:28 PM
This isn't the proper place for your question, I have asked the mods to move it to the Community Cafe.

Jim

LaRoza
October 19th, 2008, 08:30 PM
Poll doesn't make sense, so I didn't vote, but I absolutely hate Ubuntu and all it stands for.

It is a crime against humanity. If one is going to use their computer, Windows or OS X is the only way to go. If one must use Linux, it is obviously for a server, and for that Debian is the only choice.

pp.
October 19th, 2008, 08:31 PM
A suffusion of blue.

cardinals_fan
October 19th, 2008, 08:32 PM
I have no desire to use Ubuntu on my main machine (over Arch/Slackware). However, I run Dapper Drake (6.06) as a dual-boot with NetBSD on my secondary box.

SomeGuyDude
October 19th, 2008, 08:35 PM
In my mind, Ubuntu is THE distro to get someone to make the switch with. Synaptic and the repos make installing and updating software painless even for people terrified of the command-line, and it works out-of-the-box enough that I think -most- should have no issues installing it and just getting to work.

I don't use it currently, but it's definitely my pick for "average user" distro.

Sealbhach
October 19th, 2008, 08:42 PM
I dual boot. I still keep the Windows for games.

Paqman
October 19th, 2008, 08:54 PM
if one is going to use their computer, Windows or OS X is the only way to go.

And if you're using Windows, only the excellent ME or Vista editions will do.

etdsbastar
October 19th, 2008, 09:47 PM
Thanks cariboo,

I want to know when this opinion will be moved there....

And give this poll to all of your friends also. Actually, I want Ubuntu's popularity... Just for my extreme love for Ubuntu.... Please do this to me...

RiceMonster
October 19th, 2008, 09:51 PM
I think you're going to get an extremely biased result in this poll, considering probably 95% of the people here use Ubuntu (and if not, they're likely using another Linux distro).

Oh, and I can see someone who had a bad experience tomming in and complaining in this thread, spawning an argument. That happens all too often.

etdsbastar
October 19th, 2008, 09:54 PM
Oh cool,

I got the answer ... no problem.... Let me give you another poll to answer ...

gjoellee
October 19th, 2008, 09:56 PM
I have what I need in Ubuntu.... I also have games, and everything else I need...

chucky chuckaluck
October 19th, 2008, 09:57 PM
it was a great distro for me to learn on because it still worked while i fumbled around.

yabbadabbadont
October 19th, 2008, 10:01 PM
If one is going to use their computer, Windows or OS X is the only way to go.

Please. Everyone knows that OS/2 is the One True Operating System.

-grubby
October 19th, 2008, 10:01 PM
please. Everyone knows that os/2 is the one true operating system.

Dos FTW!

pp.
October 19th, 2008, 10:03 PM
Cp/m

SuperSonic4
October 19th, 2008, 10:15 PM
It's on the laptop because I find it to be stable and only use it sparingly.

LaRoza
October 19th, 2008, 10:17 PM
I think you're going to get an extremely biased result in this poll, considering probably 95% of the people here use Ubuntu (and if not, they're likely using another Linux distro).

Oh, and I can see someone who had a bad experience tomming in and complaining in this thread, spawning an argument. That happens all too often.

And people like me trying to be funny...

iwc5893
October 19th, 2008, 10:31 PM
I had to vote dual booting, because I'm still trying to figure out some of the nuances of using multiple IP configurations, but I expect to be fully Ubuntued within a month.

etdsbastar
October 19th, 2008, 10:43 PM
Friends,

I think positives and negatives are the seeds of success ...

So,

Keep Voting ...

and have fun ...

brunovecchi
October 19th, 2008, 11:03 PM
Friends,

I think positives and negatives are the seeds of success ...

So,

Keep Voting ...

and have fun ...

I think I am speaking for everyone here. Please use normal-sized letters.

RiceMonster
October 19th, 2008, 11:20 PM
I honestly thought that post was someone mocking him, and then I saw it was the same person...

snova
October 19th, 2008, 11:21 PM
And people like me trying to be funny...

You nearly took me in... Borg trick, I guess.

I experience the occasional glitch, but they're usually easy to fix.

billgoldberg
October 19th, 2008, 11:26 PM
Poll doesn't make sense, so I didn't vote, but I absolutely hate Ubuntu and all it stands for.

It is a crime against humanity. If one is going to use their computer, Windows or OS X is the only way to go. If one must use Linux, it is obviously for a server, and for that Debian is the only choice.

<:p> M$ sucks, linux ftw !!!!!!!!!!!!!!, noob !!!!</:p>

SuperSonic4
October 19th, 2008, 11:29 PM
I think I am speaking for everyone here. Please use normal-sized letters.

You're speaking for me anyway, plus I don't think single colour posts are allowed (from my own experience lol)

crazyness003
October 19th, 2008, 11:31 PM
wtf is Ubuntu?

Abacus! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abacus) Thats the OS we all love and remeber. ftw

Kilz
October 20th, 2008, 12:12 AM

You forgot one more windows belongs in that list, the unforgettable Windows bob. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Bob)

frankleeee
October 20th, 2008, 12:23 AM

Were you bitten by one of the eels in your hovercraft. ;)
Whats the update on the Dell mini at his point.

Grant A.
October 20th, 2008, 01:41 AM
wtf is Ubuntu?

Abacus! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abacus) Thats the OS we all love and remeber. ftw

You can install ubuntu on that now. Arch's linux powered electric cheese graders pale in comparison.

forrestcupp
October 20th, 2008, 02:14 AM
ReactOS is the only real choice. It's the best of both worlds. It's a hacked version of a bloated OS. What a concept! ;)

nss0000
October 20th, 2008, 02:47 AM
UBUNTU is the best thing since my fav WinME.

d_skillz
October 20th, 2008, 04:12 AM
Hands down, the most complete linux distrubution in existence. Paying keen attention to the just works philosophy, printers just need to be plugged-in it gets detected and installed AUTOMATICALLY. Internet connections etc. Needs a little more polish though human has to be able to rival OSX and windows vista, the GUI is very important. Functional graphic design apps AutoCad, Photoshop, Quickbooks is the only thing the linux community needs to get massive support. Blender is a great competitor to 3DMax. C'mon Quickbooks users, we need to lobby for an alternative.

Sealbhach
October 20th, 2008, 09:52 AM
I only use genuine Microsoft products because Linux is illegal. That's why they give it away for free.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/db/Clippy-letter.PNG

Chame_Wizard
October 20th, 2008, 11:18 AM
I love *buntu,but there most be more proper software to use(like games):lolflag:

DrMega
October 20th, 2008, 12:00 PM
Your poll is biased, in that the worst option is "Average". Also, why make a poll like that on the Ubuntu Forums? It is pretty obvious that anyone who takes it seriously will vote favourably.

etdsbastar
October 20th, 2008, 02:10 PM
Thanks for telling me that I have to post the threads in single color and normal letters only.

elmer_42
October 20th, 2008, 02:29 PM
I don't use it currently, but it's definitely my pick for "average user" distro.
That is why I picked Good in the poll. Currently, I'm using Arch, but I've got nothing against Ubuntu. It got me started in Linux, as I'm sure it could do the same with other people. I entirely agree with SomeGuyDude right here.

perlluver
October 20th, 2008, 02:34 PM
Well, I have no Idea what anyone is talking about, :lolflag: , but I will say that Ubuntu as a Linux Distro, is very good for new users to Linux, and in Beta's is a lot more stable than Windows. I have used it on and off since 2007, and I keep coming back for some reason. Anyways, I hope this helps you and your friends.

eragon100
October 20th, 2008, 03:53 PM
Better than the best, only OS I use. More than enough software, including games. (If you want something with good graphics, buy enemyy territory: quake wars and run it at 1680x1050 resolution with all the graphic options maxed out. It looks good :popcorn:

razerbug
October 20th, 2008, 04:07 PM
It wouldn't get me to switch from Vista but it would have got me to switch from XP and it's hands down better than OSx - use it for basic computing but need the featuers of CS3 and Office of windows, not to mention it's better supported and works alot better out the box.

Ubuntu needs better 3rd party support (IE things that are available to win / os arn't always on linux) and it needs to work without requiring a degree in programming - I had to take it to a linux support person to get wireless, trackpad, sound etc working. These are things that need to work out of the box.

Still, very happy with it now, my 2nd OS of choice

forrestcupp
October 20th, 2008, 06:56 PM
I had to take it to a linux support person to get wireless, trackpad, sound etc working. These are things that need to work out of the box.
To be fair, those things don't really work "out of the box" in Windows, either. You have to install drivers to get them to work in Windows. It's just that the hardware creators write drivers for Windows and usually not Linux. That's not to Microsoft's credit because they don't make the drivers. It is to the Linux community's credit because they end up reverse engineering all these drivers to get a lot of hardware to actually work out of the box.

I'm not being biased; I mostly am a Vista user.

Canis familiaris
October 20th, 2008, 06:58 PM
I use Ubuntu all the time.
But the problem is it's getting more resource intensive and bloated.
That is why now I used Xfce and disable Compiz (even though I have a relatively faster PC), still it is quite bloated.
I hope Intrepid is more learner and quick to boot.

ammikulka
October 20th, 2008, 07:07 PM
Ubuntu sucks, i mean i don't need wireless so why does it work? and my nvidia graphics card.... don't get me started.... i didn't need a driver for that thing....i mean why is everything in my laptop WORKING !!! i hate this no fun at all :(

tenghoward
October 20th, 2008, 08:24 PM
I use Ubuntu most of the time. I only keep Windows since most of the game is on Windows. If Game Developer started to program in Linux, I will switched to Ubuntu.

yabbadabbadont
October 20th, 2008, 08:54 PM
Thanks for telling me that I have to post the threads in single color and normal letters only.

You don't have to. As far as I know, there aren't any rules against what you did. It was just a bit annoying to some of the other readers. :D

crazyness003
October 21st, 2008, 12:29 AM
You don't have to. As far as I know, there aren't any rules against what you did. It was just a bit annoying to some of the other readers. :D

Ubuntu looks like it would taste good.

Mmmmmmm

Like the color purple

LaRoza
October 21st, 2008, 12:46 AM
To be fair, those things don't really work "out of the box" in Windows, either.

Yes, rebooting to use a webcam, then having it matter which USB port it is using is no where near the plug and play of Linux.

I'm not being biased; I mostly am a Vista user.

Hm...

Because I like you, you can still post on this forum... :-)

medic2000
October 21st, 2008, 01:03 AM
I use Ubuntu most of the time. I only keep Windows since most of the game is on Windows. If Game Developer started to program in Linux, I will switched to Ubuntu.

They will... As we slowly conquer all the world :twisted:

crazyness003
October 21st, 2008, 04:47 AM
They will... As we slowly conquer all the world :twisted:

Huzzah!

I wonder when they'll make them's Peanut-butter + Chocolate Ubuntu logo bars.

Mmmm

Warren Watts
October 21st, 2008, 05:25 AM
I chose dual boot, because I don't use Ubuntu exclusively. I am a Sims2 addict, so I have to have at least one windows box.

And Ubuntu isn't my only Linux distro. I am rather fond of Arch Linux as well.

etdsbastar
October 21st, 2008, 08:12 AM
Dual boot is rather a good option. What about single boot with Ubuntu only?

forrestcupp
October 21st, 2008, 01:28 PM
Hm...

Because I like you, you can still post on this forum... :-)
Hey, at least I was standing up for Linux. And I do dual boot with Ubuntu. You don't even use Ubuntu, do you?

Dragonbite
October 21st, 2008, 03:27 PM
At home I'm 99% Ubuntu (the 1% is because my wife uses Windows and I get to play tech-support).

Is Ubuntu the best? That's a loaded question. At least I'll say the Ubuntu is the best Marketed!

will1911a1
October 21st, 2008, 04:11 PM
There's no "I never use it" option so I didn't vote. Ubuntu was very unstable and slow on my hardware.

etdsbastar
October 21st, 2008, 06:01 PM
Will you please provide your hardware configuration...

VorDesigns
October 21st, 2008, 06:07 PM
I'm stuck in both worlds although I see a light glowing in the distance.
I run Ubuntu on my laptop but swap the drives to download and keep mail; I don't like you Evolution and though Outlook is a bloated *****, it is the ***** that works for me most of the time.
Now that I have something I can play LDA TreadMarks on that isn't a WinOS the need to run an MS OS at the desktop for me is diminishing. It would be nice if the Terminal server client had the fullscreen/windowed option without a cryptic reference to some feature that doesn't seem to work. This is my problem really and not a failing in Linux.
I've found that Wine offers me alternate avenues of approach to running those few applications that I can find no alternative for, have no other choice to get my work done or the WinOS version has a feature not available in the Linux version.
All in all, I'm pretty happy with Ubuntu although some of my associates suggest that other distros might serve me better.

HPUX MPE Rocks! I miss my Apollo workstation.

ExpatPaul
October 21st, 2008, 06:56 PM
I used to dual boot but switched to using Ubuntu exclusively when Hardy Heron was released. And I'm stil very happy with it.

Compucore
October 21st, 2008, 07:08 PM
Me I like Ubuntu over here. I still switch the hard drive back to windows on occassion to use software on the other disk. But I still prefer buntu for my major things at home here. And with the standard hardware that I have on my laptop and my three dell computers and a HP netserver using of course Ubuntu. No complaints over here. I really prefer ubuntu over MS anyday of the week.

COmpucore

will1911a1
October 21st, 2008, 07:15 PM
Will you please provide your hardware configuration...

I'll have to get back to you with specifics as I'm a work right now and haven't looked at the guts of it for some time. I'm running an ATI graphics card and an AMD processor, but anything beyond that I couldn't tell you.

I will say that my machine was locking up pretty frequently (at least once or twice a day) and had some serious performance issues. For instance, when trying to do anything in Gimp there was a huge delay between what I did with the cursor and what showed up on screen.

crazyness003
October 21st, 2008, 11:03 PM
Every time i get to use my lappy, its 100% Ubuntu (8.10 for that matter)
At home, my main pc is windows xp (family members are n00bs)
But i've loaded my win partition about 1 time since I installed Intrepid alpha 3 (almost a month ago) and only to use the forsaken Live Messenger abomination people cant seem to stop using (it was worth it, i got to see my nephew (1yo)...future Linux guru and developer)

LaRoza
October 21st, 2008, 11:09 PM
Hey, at least I was standing up for Linux. And I do dual boot with Ubuntu. You don't even use Ubuntu, do you?

Actually, I do use Ubuntu, although I don't think it is the best distro.

I heavily altered it though, and it is Ubuntu only at the core system and login screen.

etdsbastar
October 22nd, 2008, 06:48 AM
You can change login screen and other screens also. Please search on forums.

lisati
October 22nd, 2008, 06:57 AM
Please. Everyone knows that OS/2 is the One True Operating System.
Must respectfully disagree: MVS/370 and its derivatives!

wtf is Ubuntu?

Already did that 18 months ago.

Oh, I'm mistaken. It's a laptop.

ReactOS is the only real choice. It's the best of both worlds. It's a hacked version of a bloated OS. What a concept! ;)
If you like the BSOD (yes - had that trying out ReactOS....)

Cp/m
Aaah! CP/M - I have that for a couple of machines currently gathering dust. Now to port Ubuntu to run under it.

But seriously: Ubuntu was the first Linux distro that I actually tried, and it was relatively painless to get running on my machines, and the forums are great, too.

namegame
October 22nd, 2008, 08:01 AM
I used Ubuntu for a while, then I started to branch out. I haven't really felt the need to come back.

Personally, I don't like the direction Ubuntu, and it's derivatives, are heading.
It seems to be getting more and more bloated with each successive release.

Take Xubuntu for example. Essentially, it's just Ubuntu with XFCE installed. It still uses many gnome applications.

I have nothing against Ubuntu, without Ubuntu I wouldn't be using Linux at all. It's just not my ideal Operating System anymore.

tezer
October 22nd, 2008, 11:57 AM
I started with Ubuntu, than it was Xubuntu (it's now on my laptop), and there is Mint on my desktop. Since Mint is built on Ubuntu I think it also counts.

handy
October 22nd, 2008, 01:16 PM
Ubuntu sucks!

Amiga rules.

The only reason I use Arch is because it starts with an A.

forrestcupp
October 22nd, 2008, 02:50 PM
Personally, I don't like the direction Ubuntu, and it's derivatives, are heading.
It seems to be getting more and more bloated with each successive release.One man's bloat is another man's features.

Ubuntu sucks!

Amiga rules.

Back in my C64 days, I used to dream about being able to afford an Amiga. They truly were in a league of their own.

etdsbastar
October 22nd, 2008, 03:36 PM
Ubuntu sucks!

Amiga rules.

I think this is not a guanine reason for the question i provided.

Give us a guanine reason please... :lolflag:

scouser73
October 22nd, 2008, 03:42 PM

Blimey, LaRoza got out the wrong side of bed today:lolflag: p.s. I was referring to LaRozas first posting

etdsbastar
October 22nd, 2008, 05:03 PM
I started with Ubuntu, than it was Xubuntu (it's now on my laptop), and there is Mint on my desktop. Since Mint is built on Ubuntu I think it also counts.

Yes, dear it also counts and tell me the merits and demerits of Ubuntu...

Old Marcus
October 22nd, 2008, 05:17 PM
Personally I prefer Mint. Feels more complete than Ubuntu, though 7.10 was a good release, 8.04 was a complete debacle in my opinion, so I looked for something else.

etdsbastar
October 23rd, 2008, 09:47 AM
I think mint is also based on ubuntu ... How can I get the CD of Mint...

etdsbastar
October 23rd, 2008, 06:00 PM
Hey ...

All of you friends....

Only this much of Ubuntu Replies ...

I thought of something more like galaxy ...

Awaiting ....

crazyness003
October 24th, 2008, 01:21 AM
Hey ...

All of you friends....

Only this much of Ubuntu Replies ...

I thought of something more like galaxy ...

Awaiting ....

In a nutshell: Ubuntu is the gateway of Linux distros for users of win and mac. Its easy to get up and running, but as other have pointed out, its bloated. Once one gets more intimate (not in that sense sico) with the whole "Linux" thing, like the teminal, kernel builds, different DM's, WM's, apps, etc, they get the distro closest to their liking, and modify the **** out of it, to suit their personal needs. Or LFS (http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/) (if you're really into the "my way or the highway" attitude.

or this:

Real Men code their own text editors on bare metal with Assembly.

Only the quiche eaters use these "operating systems". And Pascal :-&

Bölvaður
October 24th, 2008, 04:21 AM

So.. LaRoza walks into a bar. He.. no wait. is that she? ok lets use both.
So... Laroza walks into a bar. She asks the bartender to pour some orange juice into his boot. She asked the bartender for some proper service, but got the reply that the server was away and Ballmer would replace him in a bit. So LaRoza put the wet boot back on (see that she is later going to reboot... But it is more fun to ruin the pun beforehand). Sooo.... man what a waste of time.

crazyness003
October 26th, 2008, 06:44 AM
So.. LaRoza walks into a bar. He.. no wait. is that she? ok lets use both.
So... Laroza walks into a bar. She asks the bartender to pour some orange juice into his boot. She asked the bartender for some proper service, but got the reply that the server was away and Ballmer would replace him in a bit. So LaRoza put the wet boot back on (see that she is later going to reboot... But it is more fun to ruin the pun beforehand). Sooo.... man what a waste of time.

nice

etdsbastar
October 29th, 2008, 07:12 AM
Hey

Give your kind opinion please. all of you...

EdThaSlayer
October 29th, 2008, 08:56 AM
All that (K)ubuntu needs is ultra-smooth-game playing and easier way of setting up proper display drivers for graphics card and I will convert 100% of the way. At the moment I'm 85% to the Linux side, using Windows Vista just for games that I like to indulge in for long periods of time.

eternalnewbee
October 29th, 2008, 11:06 AM
Supplement: I hate Ubuntu! That's why I'm not typing this.
I don't Ubuntu. Therfore I am alittle bit.
How is Ubuntu? . . . .
It's fine thank you. And you (Personal Tinglish)

crazyness003
October 30th, 2008, 07:52 AM
Supplement: I hate Ubuntu! That's why I'm not typing this.
I don't Ubuntu. Therfore I am alittle bit.
How is Ubuntu? . . . .
It's fine thank you. And you (Personal Tinglish)

Picture an airplane. okay, now picture that airplane going over my head in a fashion that i completely missed your point.

:head a'splodes:

etdsbastar
November 6th, 2008, 11:49 AM
how can you say about openSUSE 11 ?

Is that like Ubuntu, more or less better?

check it out...

meg23
November 6th, 2008, 04:15 PM
What is Ubuntu?

beno1990
November 6th, 2008, 04:34 PM
Ubuntu is a very good Linux distro, and I use it as my primary OS, both on my laptop and server. I still have a desktop with Fedora on it, but I'm considering switching that to Ubuntu in the future, too.

billgoldberg
November 6th, 2008, 04:38 PM

LaRoza seems more fun now that she/he/it isn't an mod anymore.

--

On topic:

Poll doesn't make sense.

Ubuntu is a great distro.

It's not bug free (see launchpad :p) but most things work as they should.

JohnFH
November 6th, 2008, 04:52 PM
What is Ubuntu?

What? I thought everyone knew what Ubuntu was.

It's an ancient African word meaning "I can't configure Debian" according to the Urban Dictionary:
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=ubuntu

Maybe there's an element of truth in definition #7 though?

crazyness003
November 7th, 2008, 04:28 AM
phalse! Ubuntu is Ubuntu, it's its own definition. When someone asks you, the reply should be like this:

Random n00b: What is ubuntu?
You: Its spelled Ubuntu, get it right.
Random n00b: Okay... what's Ubuntu?
You: SEVEN!
Random n00b: what?
You: Its Ubuntu. Period
Random n00b: oookay... *hangs up conversation, regardless of means (tele, chat, face-to-face)*
You: MOAR CORN!

wispygalaxy
November 7th, 2008, 04:50 AM
Ubuntu made me realize that Linux isn't hard to use. I also learned that it looks much better than Windows and OS X. The apps are good in Ubuntu, too.

cardinals_fan
November 7th, 2008, 04:56 AM
Ubuntu made me realize that Linux isn't hard to use. I also learned that it looks much better than Windows and OS X. The apps are good in Ubuntu, too.
Please use regular black fonts, if at all possible. Thank you for making my eyes a bit happier :)

ExpatPaul
November 7th, 2008, 08:43 PM

This is pretty much my experience, too. For a long time I tended to think of Linux as being a server OS and pretty much irrelevant to a desktop user such as me.

Ubuntu does make it very clear that Linux is a viable desktop option and makes it very easy both to try it out and to install it.

sanderella
November 7th, 2008, 09:47 PM
What? I thought everyone knew what Ubuntu was.

It's an ancient African word meaning "I can't configure Debian" according to the Urban Dictionary:
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=ubuntu

Maybe there's an element of truth in definition #7 though?

:lolflag:

etdsbastar
November 11th, 2008, 11:32 AM
I think ubuntu 8.10 is much powerful in security and all other major things.

What is your opinion...

tsali
November 11th, 2008, 12:15 PM
The most perfect OS ever released.

Fixing issues is more fun than sudoku!

ellalan
November 11th, 2008, 12:28 PM
My experience with Ubuntu has been excellent except for certain Fonts(mainly .ttf). Some .ttf fonts look very ugly in FF3 and Opera but in Vista with both browsers the same fonts look much better.
Apart from that Ubuntu 8.10 is flawless so far.

mdsmedia
November 11th, 2008, 12:31 PM
I almost hit the thanks button...but thought better of it ;)

JohnFH
November 11th, 2008, 01:04 PM
I think ubuntu 8.10 is much powerful in security and all other major things.

What is your opinion...

I think you need to write more in your posts and stop asking for opinions in every post you make. It's not really bad, it's just very boring.

That is my opinion.

etdsbastar
November 11th, 2008, 03:35 PM
I think you need to write more in your posts and stop asking for opinions in every post you make. It's not really bad, it's just very boring.

That is my opinion.

I am sorry for that. But, If you need something then you have to ask something...

Is that clear...

tuxsheadache
November 11th, 2008, 04:47 PM
I was so impressed with Ubuntu that I stopped dual booting my computer and removed my Windows partition to claim back the harddrive, mainly because I couldn't think of one thing Windows offered that really justified the GBs it used up.

Dragonbite
November 11th, 2008, 05:14 PM
I was so impressed with Ubuntu that I stopped dual booting my computer and removed my Windows partition to claim back the harddrive, mainly because I couldn't think of one thing Windows offered that really justified the GBs it used up.

And between CodeWeavers or Wine and virtulaization (VMWare or VirtualBox or others) there is even less reason for dual booting!
:guitar:

etdsbastar
November 15th, 2008, 02:42 PM
Can linux distros will ever freed by bugs....?

crazyness003
November 15th, 2008, 04:57 PM
Can linux distros will ever freed by bugs....?

Software = bugs

Basically all software starts off from a bug.
Q: I wanna get this thing to do that
A: try 'this'
Q: THIS doesnt work
A: try 'that'
etc.

Can people ever be free of bugs?

basically what im saying is no

with new hardware specs, there are new challenges to be met. new ways of doing things, new programming techniques, new goals, etc. NEW inherently has bugs.

Again, im not expert but i've been around computers for over a decade, and it never fails.

dieterKartdesign
November 15th, 2008, 05:26 PM
I needed php cli because I want to have syntax check within pPHPedit.
I tried $ php -v and got:
The program 'php' is currently not installed; you can install it by typing:
sudo apt-get install php5-cli

Thats why I like UBUNTU and I want to thank the developers and all helpers, who had the idea for implementing this help; typing and problem solved.

Best wishes
Dieter

garba
November 15th, 2008, 05:28 PM
i picked option 4 but well ubuntu is not "extra best" is just good enough and suits my needs better than the distro from redmond that's it ^^

Tamalin
November 15th, 2008, 06:01 PM
I love using Ubuntu. It makes everything so easy. Especially writing Java Apps.
Ubuntu 10, Vista 0.

doorknob60
November 15th, 2008, 09:53 PM
Ubuntu is okay (better than the proprietary alternatives), but compared to distros like Debian or Arch, it's just too slow and unstable. I still recommend it to my friends though, because they'll get nowhere fast attempting to install Arch :-P

richg
November 15th, 2008, 11:11 PM
Ubuntu is nice.

Rich

Unixilandia0110
November 15th, 2008, 11:57 PM
Ubuntu is awesome, I don't do Windows anymore! If you're a masochist who has ton$ of dough to place inside a billionaire's pockets, go ahead.... make my day.:) Linus Torvalds, Mark Shuttleworth, and Richard Stallman should be the recipients of a Nobel Peace Prize. Linux Rulz!

JC Cheloven
November 16th, 2008, 03:27 AM
Ubuntu is awesome, I don't do Windows anymore! If you're a masochist who has ton$ of dough to place inside a billionaire's pockets, go ahead.... make my day.:) Linus Torvalds, Mark Shuttleworth, and Richard Stallman should be the recipients of a Nobel Peace Prize. Linux Rulz!

+1

But wait, aren't they communists, or terrorists, or viral infections spreaders ? I somehow remember a preaching from our beloved guru, Bill, enlightening us about these points. Do you?

VorDesigns
November 16th, 2008, 04:48 AM
Software = bugs

Basically all software starts off from a bug.
Q: I wanna get this thing to do that
A: try 'this'
Q: THIS doesnt work
A: try 'that'
etc.

Can people ever be free of bugs?

basically what im saying is no

with new hardware specs, there are new challenges to be met. new ways of doing things, new programming techniques, new goals, etc. NEW inherently has bugs.

Again, im not expert but i've been around computers for over a decade, and it never fails.

I couldn't have said it nicer.

etdsbastar
November 20th, 2008, 06:32 PM
I this nobody would try other distros coz related to security as specified everywhere and as i heard...

Linux distros are best.

n2dabloo
November 21st, 2008, 12:07 AM
I'm a very happy Ubuntu (only now) user. I've given several shipmates copies of iso's and they're happy too. They live in 3rd world countries where paying for and downloading ant-virus software is not an option. My Oiler (engine room guy) was amazed at the speed and desktop effects with Compiz. Once I explain that I don't run anti-virus software they are all the more happy. I did recently install Virtualbox and now I'm reminded of just how plain and troublesome the Windows experience was. I rarely open that program, it's like a relic to me. Rock on fellow Ubuntu users, I think the best is yet to come...

crazyness003
November 22nd, 2008, 09:30 AM
I'm a very happy Ubuntu (only now) user. I've given several shipmates copies of iso's and they're happy too. They live in 3rd world countries where paying for and downloading ant-virus software is not an option. My Oiler (engine room guy) was amazed at the speed and desktop effects with Compiz. Once I explain that I don't run anti-virus software they are all the more happy. I did recently install Virtualbox and now I'm reminded of just how plain and troublesome the Windows experience was. I rarely open that program, it's like a relic to me. Rock on fellow Ubuntu users, I think the best is yet to come...
i know what you're saying. whenever a familly member, or friend has problems with theyr compy, i immediately say 'i see the problem. its running windows'. But windows is a pain. esp security measures. also iv gotten too fond of apt, so manually installing apps is so troublesome (yet, building from source, i dont mind...weird, huh)

etdsbastar
November 30th, 2008, 05:11 PM
i know what you're saying. whenever a familly member, or friend has problems with theyr compy, i immediately say 'i see the problem. its running windows'. But windows is a pain. esp security measures. also iv gotten too fond of apt, so manually installing apps is so troublesome (yet, building from source, i dont mind...weird, huh)

Its really a great answer.

Thanks

etdsbastar
January 24th, 2009, 06:43 PM
Bump...

gjoellee
January 24th, 2009, 06:47 PM
I used Ubuntu when i migrated from Windows, because it was easy to use. I learned about Linux, and I moved on to Arch. Ubuntu is easy to use, but not flexible anough... "Average"

crazyness003
January 25th, 2009, 06:14 AM
Ubuntu is very heavy, thats why. One qwirk that irritates me is evolution. If you uninstall it, all sorts of problems happen (happened twice to me).
I'll eventually move on, but now, I have limited time to experiment. Plus I love these forums :D

T2manner
January 25th, 2009, 06:19 AM
Ubuntu is great, but it is still a work in progress.
I love many of it's features, but it still lacks some features and support I need for my laptop.
I love the 6 Month cycle because I'm always looking forward to the new improvements and updates.
Overall, Ubuntu > Windows.

dasunst3r
January 25th, 2009, 06:24 AM
Even for someone who knows a little bit about the intricacies of Linux (almost five years experience), I've pretty much settled down on Ubuntu because it does what it needs to do quickly and reliably.

jtuchscherer
January 25th, 2009, 06:26 AM
I switched to Ubuntu in 2005. Since then I installed it on my work desktop and laptop and my private dekstop and laptop. I am very grateful for all the hard work that Canonical and all the volunteers invested in this OS. Sure, it is not 'perfect', but for me it is pretty close to being the perfect OS.

cardinals_fan
January 25th, 2009, 06:36 AM
Ubuntu is great, but it is still a work in progress.
I love many of it's features, but it still lacks some features and support I need for my laptop.
I love the 6 Month cycle because I'm always looking forward to the new improvements and updates.
Overall, Ubuntu > Windows.
Life is still a work in progress. Pray that development doesn't stop.

adamlau
January 25th, 2009, 08:48 AM
Ubuntu is weighed down, only Minimal leverages the flexibility of Ubuntu with the speed (comes close enough) of lighter weight, speed demon distros.

Lunx
January 25th, 2009, 10:21 AM
Only been two weeks since I discovered and started using Ubuntu (and Linux in general). I took the cautious approach like most newbies and created a dual boot system so I could keep Windows ("just in case"). Only took me a couple of hours playing with Ubuntu to realise I had no need for the old OS, so did a clean install and running nothing but Ubuntu now. Can't praise it highly enough, had no dramas making the switch as the help files are brilliant, or if I need more then I can find the answer here on the forum. So far I've not needed to post a question, 'coz I'm finding someone's already asked it!!!

As an OS for the "average" user it has all the apps you'd want, is easy to set up and configure, and everything seems to work pretty well "straight out of box", so I'd rate it 99.99%

Ubuntu rocks! :guitar:

etdsbastar
January 25th, 2009, 07:52 PM
Only been two weeks since I discovered and started using Ubuntu (and Linux in general). I took the cautious approach like most newbies and created a dual boot system so I could keep Windows ("just in case"). Only took me a couple of hours playing with Ubuntu to realise I had no need for the old OS, so did a clean install and running nothing but Ubuntu now. Can't praise it highly enough, had no dramas making the switch as the help files are brilliant, or if I need more then I can find the answer here on the forum. So far I've not needed to post a question, 'coz I'm finding someone's already asked it!!!

As an OS for the "average" user it has all the apps you'd want, is easy to set up and configure, and everything seems to work pretty well "straight out of box", so I'd rate it 99.99%

Ubuntu rocks! :guitar:

I really liked the truth you spoke about...

Dragonbite
January 26th, 2009, 03:10 AM
Ubuntu is very heavy, thats why. One qwirk that irritates me is evolution. If you uninstall it, all sorts of problems happen (happened twice to me).
I'll eventually move on, but now, I have limited time to experiment. Plus I love these forums :D

+1

The Evolution issue is annoying as I use Thunderbird myself.

crazyness003
January 27th, 2009, 05:49 AM
+1

The Evolution issue is annoying as I use Thunderbird myself.
i dont use neither. ff+gmail iz teh b3st. But its still annoying as you stated.
Another "annoyance", and this dosnt have anything to do with Ubuntu itself (or any other non-windows os), but sites that do not work without "Microsoft(r) Windows(r) XP(r) or Vista(r) and Internet Explorer(r) 6(r) or 7(r) required". I hate it when people use proprietary garbage and think that its in the best of their interest.
For a long time, i dissagreed with Flash; but since the release of flashplayer10, my mind has changed.

Anyway, this is just my rant. To conclude, I fond more annoyances with other OS's than Ubuntu.

etdsbastar
February 20th, 2009, 03:40 AM
i dont use neither. ff+gmail iz teh b3st. But its still annoying as you stated.
Another "annoyance", and this dosnt have anything to do with Ubuntu itself (or any other non-windows os), but sites that do not work without "Microsoft(r) Windows(r) XP(r) or Vista(r) and Internet Explorer(r) 6(r) or 7(r) required". I hate it when people use proprietary garbage and think that its in the best of their interest.
For a long time, i dissagreed with Flash; but since the release of flashplayer10, my mind has changed.

Anyway, this is just my rant. To conclude, I fond more annoyances with other OS's than Ubuntu.

great...

namegame
February 20th, 2009, 03:55 AM
I didn't vote.

I don't use Ubuntu at all.

ArtF10
February 20th, 2009, 04:04 AM
Ubuntu is the greatest os/distro in all the world.....YAY!!!

Stan_1936
February 20th, 2009, 04:06 AM
I've tried a bunch, but I keep coming back to Ubuntu. I voted for option 4.

Bart_D
February 20th, 2009, 04:10 AM
Ubuntu has gotten better and better, for me, in terms of hardware detection. I can't say enough good things about it. There's so much that works out of the box and what small modifications I have to make have now become very manageable for me. As newer versions come out, these modifications have been reducing...my printer was detected automatically, graphic card driver installation was automatic(WOW!!!), flash files play smoother.......no complaints here. I've started recommending it to relatives.

OpenOffice does remain the one sticking point, though that would be true for any version of Linux.

Aim9b
February 20th, 2009, 04:20 AM
Cp/m
You're showing our age... ;-)

etdsbastar
February 20th, 2009, 04:23 AM
I've tried a bunch, but I keep coming back to Ubuntu. I voted for option 4.

Can You tell us what was your BUNCH, and for what time do you use ubuntu and what was your experience...

Stan_1936
February 20th, 2009, 04:30 AM
Can You tell us what was your BUNCH, and for what time do you use ubuntu and what was your experience...

Oh brother, I would have to dig up the thread from August to give you the complete list and description of experiences. I'm at the beginner/medium level and was looking for stability.
Here's a few:
Zenwalk(had to manually setup up internet connection, from command line....was fun at first, but quickly became rather annoying)
Mint version 5/Dream Linux/Sam Linux - too heavy
E-Live/GoBuntu(?) - never liked to look or feel
Puppy/DSL/Knoppix/Mepis/Wolvix/Sidux - my system is old........but not THAT old
Debian - Ubuntu seemed more refined/polished

etc.etc.

namegame
February 20th, 2009, 04:48 AM
Zenwalk(had to manually setup up internet connection, from command line....was fun at first, but quickly became rather annoying)

Set up some bash aliases. :P

I can connect manually to my wireless with three commands. up, set, connect, all of which I defined myself.

up - sudo ifconfig wlan0 up
set - sudo iwconfig wlan0 essid XXXXXXX key XXXXXXX
connect - sudo dhcpcd wlan0

Of course, this may vary with your system.

crazyness003
February 20th, 2009, 07:26 AM
Set up some bash aliases. :P

I can connect manually to my wireless with three commands. up, set, connect, all of which I defined myself.

up - sudo ifconfig wlan0 up
set - sudo iwconfig wlan0 essid XXXXXXX key XXXXXXX
connect - sudo dhcpcd wlan0

Of course, this may vary with your system.
that seems like too much work. Making a script would be even better. Unfortunately I dont know how to do it (I still consider myself a n00b). Plus, Iv been too busy lately to figure it out (im sure its easy as pie)

Pixel
February 20th, 2009, 07:46 AM
I love it, i've been using many different distro's since about 1998, starting with gentoo, but I always end up coming back to Ubuntu.

handy
February 20th, 2009, 02:41 PM
I think that Ubuntu is probably the easiest way to use Linux, so it is both a great introduction for first time Linux users & due to Canonical's continuing work of trying to harmonise so many disparate GNU/Linux projects, Ubuntu is also a great distro for the experienced Linux user.

There is still lots of work to be done before Ubuntu & Linux in general could be said to have succeeded in the aforementioned harmonisation process; I expect that in a couple of years we really should be starting to have a pretty slick system that has far fewer users experiencing installation & reliability problems due to improperly supported hardware & the DE's will be more effective at giving the user a consistent, easy to understand & use working GUI environment that satisfies the desires of those that like to use & modify fancy 3D desktop themes.

mamamia88
February 20th, 2009, 02:59 PM
ubuntu is great i only use windows to put ringtones on my phone i create in audacity and watch the occasional soccer game on sopcast

etdsbastar
February 23rd, 2009, 12:37 PM
ubuntu is great i only use windows to put ringtones on my phone i create in audacity and watch the occasional soccer game on sopcast

Hey, You can do this with ubuntu itself. try using audacity or some other music package.

There is a ringtone cutter also included in synaptic.

Contact to my website for more information.

Vince4Amy
February 23rd, 2009, 12:46 PM
In all honesty I don't like Ubuntu at all anymore. Since 6.06 it has become bloated and slow on all of my machines. Not to mention the fact that KDE hasn't worked properly on there for me since 6.06.

I also hate the way that multiple times on both 8.04 and 8.10 that updates have broken things. Kernel updates I would understand as they will break proprietary graphics drivers. But breaking ethernet and X on default drivers after an upgrade is just not acceptable.

I'm also not too pleased with the way that many Ubuntu users claim that "It Just Works" and sugar coat it saying that it is easier than Windows to manage. This is only true if it works flawlessly on the machine it's being installed on. It lacks a graphical administration application such as YaST2 or the Mandriva Configuration Centre. This doesn't bother me at all, but when a Windows power user has just switched to Ubuntu this is sometimes an immediate concern. And because for some reason Ubuntu is ranked one of the best distros and appears high on Google when Linux is searched, a lot of people do not know of the more graphical distros such as SuSE and Mandriva.

I Don't care which OS anyone uses as it's the best tool for the job and I'm happy with configuring Slackware to the way I like and compiling software for best performance. I really don't care about it as I enjoy making Slackware an ultra stable fast platform on my systems.

It just annoys me sometimes that a lot of people think that Ubuntu is the best OS there ever was and create a flamewar when anything negative is said about it. Every OS has negative points and it doesn't stop at Ubuntu.

Just my little "rant" on Ubuntu, I do respect those who use it and it works because as I've said, it's best to use the right software for the right job. Just Ubuntu has not been good since 6.06 for me.

Edit: The Server version still goes really well actually. I might use it as my main OS again if it works well over the next few days. I like installing a base system and building up, less bloat that way.

etdsbastar
March 26th, 2009, 07:45 PM
bump

chris200x9
March 26th, 2009, 11:46 PM
my opininion worst linux ever, but that's just my opinion :)

KCG102282
March 26th, 2009, 11:56 PM
my opininion worst linux ever, but that's just my opinion :)
Well if you are using Gutsy of course it is :D

chris200x9
March 27th, 2009, 12:00 AM
Well if you are using Gutsy of course it is :D

haha that's old :P but seriously 8.04 and 8.10 are horrible for me 7.04 and 7.10 were actually better IMO

JohnFH
March 27th, 2009, 12:45 AM
bump

Please let it die. It's getting boring now.

LK_gandalf_
March 27th, 2009, 01:31 AM
I use Linux all the time and I try strongly to propose it to my friends. Sometimes, one-two times a week, I have a game with some videogames so I use windows xp.
But...Linux is not ready to be a stand-alone operative system for a middle-user. The reason? Instability.

I have a fresh-made example: yesterday, without doing any updates or so before, I booted my laptop and the keyboard weren't working. I'm still with this problem, I can't use Linux, I can't use my documents and my jobs, and I've posted on two different forums without answers.
If I had only Linux now I was formatting and losing again a day of my life to re-organize a complete system. It's sad but this is only an example from hundreds.

etdsbastar
April 26th, 2009, 08:31 AM
bump

etdsbastar
May 30th, 2010, 07:57 PM
ohohoh bumping after a long long time...

dkfalcone
May 30th, 2010, 10:41 PM
When it is good, it is very, very good.
But when it is bad, it is horrid.

Context: I’m the designated geek in my extended family. I handle all the panic calls when windows breaks. I’ve even done this as a living. So, even though I am not a “software guy, I am not without a clue.
The Good: Ubuntu is faster and more stable than windows. It is no more problematic to hook up for a tower with an Ethernet CABLE to attach and when using regular graphics.

The Bad: Wireless and 3d graphics are going to be a serious hassle 98% of the time.

The Ugly: Documentation for all of Linux and most Foss applications are just not there. Ubuntu and it’s apps are generally not difficult to use, but they are NOT intuitive.

Blue Skies and Better Days: I’d love to find a distro that has an intuitive interface. If I could find one, and a basic set of software to go with it (open office is good, some picture software, an email client, a bunch of simple games) I’d put in some considerable time doing/finding “you tube” like tutorials to cover the basic “how do I do that again” questions and start the arduous task of converting relatives over to it. Once it is set up, my life would be soooooooo much easier.

But until then, I am in search of the more perfect metaphor…. Which ubuntu does not, as yet, have.
Sorry.

koolblue3
May 30th, 2010, 10:55 PM
Hi,

I dual boot with Win 7 because of games that don't run in Wine. Ubuntu is great and I use it most of the time other then for gaming. I have only had a few bugs with 10.04 but they seem to have been fixed.

jerenept
May 30th, 2010, 10:57 PM
Please, just let this die. It is a troll haven. Anyone who does not like Ubuntu would not be using it, because using Ubuntu is a choice, not a requirement.
Anyone on this forum who 'hates' Ubuntu and is unwilling to give it a chance, is probably a troll trying to spread FUD on the forums.

The Bad: Wireless and 3d graphics are going to be a serious hassle 98% of the time.
I agree, but this is not the fault of the OS or the developers.

Dark Aspect
May 31st, 2010, 01:33 AM
There are worst operating systems out there and Ubuntu is not the best but its very usable. Better than Windows will ever be but some releases of Ubuntu, without meaning offense, are horrible in terms of speed.

JDShu
May 31st, 2010, 01:55 AM
Of all the Linux distros, Ubuntu seems to be the least hassle. I've looked into Debian and Arch, but they look like too much work is needed to get it working. I've learned my lesson from Gentoo. I think Fedora and Mandriva are probably just as good as Ubuntu, but I don't like KDE, and Fedora's cutting edge philosophy makes me nervous.

powerpleb
May 31st, 2010, 03:37 AM
I have dual OSs installed. But I only even use Windows 7 when I need to run something that can't run on Linux, which is almost never now.

Timmer1240
May 31st, 2010, 03:46 AM
Im liking the Karmic its been better than windows 98 xp or windows 7 seems more stable than windows to me.I also like that no antivirus antimalware software is required at least I havent run into problems its fast as hell with out all the extra software you need running with windows all the time!I can do just about everything I could do on windows except play a few games but Im not a big gamer so no big deal there.Im completely happy with Ubuntu Im gonna stay with Karmic till 2011 then maybe upgrade to lucid but its been a pleasant ride so far!I would recommend it for people who are tired of trying to keep a microsoft system clean and virus free one of the main reasons I went linux!I think its far enough along that most people could use it now ten years ago no way but its matured well!Just my 2 cents worth

bigseb
May 31st, 2010, 07:26 AM
I would use as my only OS if it weren't lack of high end CADCAM :/

etdsbastar
May 31st, 2010, 10:44 AM
I have completely turned my system into Ubuntu, great operating system, virus and malware free and lots of more open source features and softwares to use.

Thanks to Canonical.

etdsbastar
June 17th, 2010, 04:08 PM
anyone else with new version...