PDA

View Full Version : New ATI 8.10 Drivers - Excellent

Vince4Amy
October 19th, 2008, 01:44 PM
I decided I'll have another go on one computer which I could not possibly switch to Linux because the ATI X1550 AGP card installed just didn't want to know when it came to Linux. All the past ATI releases could not work with this card however the new Driver works great and detects the card flawlessly.

handy
October 19th, 2008, 02:13 PM
This is the oldest version in my /var/cache/pacman/pkg/ directory:

catalyst-8.3-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.gz

which I installed last March in Arch on an iMac, & I was shocked at the ease of installation. I thought, after all of the bad things I'd read about ATi's drivers that I was going to be in for a hell of a fight, as I have had from time to time with nVidia's products.

The improvement is really noticeable with my GPU, DVD's played so badly that Arch on that machine was useless for playing DVD's. The drivers have been improving & now play DVD's as good as my nVidia equiped machine.

Interestingly, the drivers under Leopard have always been & still are superior to those for Linux, but the gap is certainly closing.

I look forward to the day when I can play Guild Wars under Linux & it looks as good as it does under Leopard.

PartisanEntity
October 19th, 2008, 02:21 PM
I'm looking forward to see how Ubuntu 8.10 functions on my wife's laptop because currently I am battling to get an ATI Radeon Xpress 1100 to stop lagging under 8.04 and it's no fun.

Vince4Amy
October 19th, 2008, 02:25 PM
Yes installing the driver is so easy.

Download it
sudo sh drivername.run
Choose Automatic
sudo aticonfig --initial -f
Reboot

Easy.

Canis familiaris
October 19th, 2008, 02:37 PM
Unfortunately Catalyst 8.10 had problems with WINE so I had to downgrade to Catalyst 8.9 (which IMO was a great version)

billgoldberg
October 19th, 2008, 02:40 PM
I'm looking forward to see how Ubuntu 8.10 functions on my wife's laptop because currently I am battling to get an ATI Radeon Xpress 1100 to stop lagging under 8.04 and it's no fun.

I have the same card and the new drivers are much better.

Polygon
October 19th, 2008, 06:20 PM

Download it
sudo sh drivername.run
Choose Automatic
Reboot

Easy.

not really...you do

sudo ./atidriverswhatever --buildpkg Ubuntu/hardy
<wait>
sudo dpkg -i *.deb
restart =)

snova
October 19th, 2008, 06:42 PM
When everybody says "better", what are you referring to? Framerate? How much better?

Canis familiaris
October 19th, 2008, 07:18 PM
When everybody says "better", what are you referring to? Framerate? How much better?

bug fixes + faster frame rates + few enhancements to amdcccle + support for more cards
(these are mainly which I found for Catalyst 8.9, 8.10 is bad for me)

snova
October 19th, 2008, 07:33 PM
Oh, good. Because on Windows I could get about 60 FPS on Stellarium but I haven't seen better than 20/30 since I switched. It's not too bad, though.

I just installed fglrx-control. Ahah! So that's what Catalyst is! That's helpful to know.

Now I should be able to download the new drivers from ati.amd.com and build a deb from them, right? That's what I'm trying.

Canis familiaris
October 19th, 2008, 07:40 PM
Oh, good. Because on Windows I could get about 60 FPS on Stellarium but I haven't seen better than 20/30 since I switched. It's not too bad, though.

I just installed fglrx-control. Ahah! So that's what Catalyst is! That's helpful to know.

Now I should be able to download the new drivers from ati.amd.com and build a deb from them, right? That's what I'm trying.

http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Main_Page

Vince4Amy
October 19th, 2008, 08:03 PM
sudo ./atidriverswhatever --buildpkg Ubuntu/hardy
<wait>
sudo dpkg -i *.deb
restart =)

To build the packages you need to install some dependences, you can install the ATI Driver using the automatic method with a clean 8.04.1 installation.

david_lynch
October 19th, 2008, 08:07 PM

Download it
sudo sh drivername.run
Choose Automatic
Reboot

Easy.
Nah, no need to reboot - this is linux not ******* after all :lolflag:

Just reload X11 with CTL-ALT-BKSP or go to runlevel 1 and resume normally.

snova
October 19th, 2008, 08:15 PM
Downloaded it, build the packages, and installed them.

I can't tell the difference, actually...

Vince4Amy
October 19th, 2008, 10:43 PM

That works on OpenSUSE/Slackware but not Ubuntu.

Simply restarting X always results in a garbled display until I restart, this has never happened on OpenSUSE or Slackware.

Mazza558
October 19th, 2008, 11:17 PM
I swear fglrx is getting slower and slower. The free driver's overtaken it in terms of 2D rendering now.

handy
October 19th, 2008, 11:37 PM
I swear fglrx is getting slower and slower. The free driver's overtaken it in terms of 2D rendering now.

Perhaps that is so on your hardware.

Isilion
October 20th, 2008, 12:06 AM
Hi ppl, sorry, but 8.10 ati driver isn working for me. more info at this thread http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=766699 .

kenbo
October 20th, 2008, 02:59 AM
Nah, no need to reboot - this is linux not ******* after all :lolflag:

Actually, Linux or no, rebooting DOES make a difference when it comes to installing ati/amd drivers.

Polygon
October 20th, 2008, 03:08 AM
To build the packages you need to install some dependences, you can install the ATI Driver using the automatic method with a clean 8.04.1 installation.

...no you don't. I just did this on a clean 8.10 installation. I did not need to install any dependencies (or if it did, it installed it for me).

and its always better to use debs as they are much easier to remove and to upgrade.

eldragon
October 20th, 2008, 03:12 AM
Actually, Linux or no, rebooting DOES make a difference when it comes to installing ati/amd drivers.

yes, even if not being asked to reboot, getting DRI to work requires a reboot.