PDA

View Full Version : F1 Chinese Grand Prix *spoilers*

samjh
October 19th, 2008, 12:01 PM
What a boring race. But...

How was Massa's "pass" on Raikkonen? Gripping! :roll:

I understand that Ferrari would have been crazy not to do it, but Massa barely managed to catch up to Raikkonen even when Raikkonen slowed down almost a second per lap! And then in the press conference, Massa has the audacity to say he "managed" to pass him, as if it was really difficult!

Nice drive by Hamilton though. He's got the championship this year, barring any noobness at Interlagos.

billgoldberg
October 19th, 2008, 12:47 PM
What a boring race. But...

How was Massa's "pass" on Raikkonen? Gripping! :roll:

I understand that Ferrari would have been crazy not to do it, but Massa barely managed to catch up to Raikkonen even when Raikkonen slowed down almost a second per lap! And then in the press conference, Massa has the audacity to say he "managed" to pass him, as if it was really difficult!

Nice drive by Hamilton though. He's got the championship this year, barring any noobness at Interlagos.

It's normal to let someone from your team pass on such occasions.

I don't care who wins, as long as it isn't Hamilton.

He to arrogant for my taste.

fatality_uk
October 19th, 2008, 01:06 PM
It's normal to let someone from your team pass on such occasions.
I don't care who wins, as long as it isn't Hamilton.
He to arrogant for my taste.

Ouch. I am guessing your a Schumacher fan :lol: Don't worry, when Hamilton has won 5 titles, you'll grow to like him ;)

He to arrogant for my taste. Name one GP driver that isn't arrogant?

As for China, he (LW) didn't give the FIA (Stewards) any reason to needlessly deduct point yet again by outclassing Massa. I am guessing Massa was hoping to meet yet ANOTHER car coming out the pit lane which he could run into and get a bundle of points for no reason.

gn2
October 19th, 2008, 08:49 PM
~ when Hamilton has won 5 titles, you'll grow to like him

Highly unlikely.
LH is not significantly better than his F1 peers.
MS was.

shifty2
October 19th, 2008, 09:03 PM
LH is significantly better than his F1 peers in the wet. No one can stay close. When its dry he does make a mass of stupid mistakes though...

leafdog
October 19th, 2008, 09:09 PM
F1 has always been mind numbing from the word go

KiwiNZ
October 19th, 2008, 09:20 PM
I was an avid F1 fan , but of late I have really gone off it

I think the A1GP is better and more entertaining
And the V8 Supercars series is better

gn2
October 20th, 2008, 07:26 AM
LH is significantly better than his F1 peers in the wet.

Would that be the same LH that fell off the pit lane in the wet at last year's China GP?

SupaSonic
October 20th, 2008, 07:52 AM
This season Mclaren is pretty much the only decent car in the wet, apart from STR of course. You could say Vettel wipes the floor with Hamilton in the wet, but I don't know how much of that is due to the car.

I'd say Kimi is the most likeable guy in F1 right now. At least I believe his approach when talking to the press is very rational. Compare to LH's comments about Kimi's balls, FA's statements about Massa or, say, DC's complaints about pretty much every other driver on the grid.

mips
October 20th, 2008, 08:04 AM
I think the A1GP is better and more entertaining

+1

WRC (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Rally_Championship) is still the best to watch though.

fatality_uk
October 20th, 2008, 09:06 AM
One thing to bear in mind, the is LH's SECOND season in F1. Massa has been around for years, Sauber and Ferrari as have most of his rivals. Kubica is a great talent, but doesn't have the car under him yet.

Granted that LH has a great car, but HK also has a great car and is considered a good driver, but he is a second a lap slower than LH. LH is driving beyond the Maclaren's raw speed IMHO.

Hamilton is frankly peerless in the wet, in the same way Schumaher was. He has learn a LOT this season and I can see him going onto great things.

WRC awesome, but not really a TV sport so that's why in the UK it's stuck n DAVE TV :(
A1GP again, great racing, not high profile enough :(

renzokuken
October 20th, 2008, 09:28 AM
I'd say Kimi is the most likeable guy in F1 right now. At least I believe his approach when talking to the press is very rational.

I'd say Kimi can be a bit of a *bleep* when it comes to the press and fans too...... see here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGvoGqB-j_U

Carondimonio
October 20th, 2008, 09:32 AM
The main problem with this season is that the main WDC contenders have made several stupid mistakes. In terms of consistency, Kubica has been the best driver out there, it's just that he doesn't have the right car. And if it wasn't for the team mistakes and car reliability, Ferrari would have already secured both WDC and WCC at this point in time.

I believe McLaren will get the WDC and Ferrari the WCC. Fair enough, Hamilton is a very good driver and deserves it. It's just that he drives for a detestable team.

samjh
October 20th, 2008, 10:25 AM
Hamilton is frankly peerless in the wet, in the same way Schumaher was. He has learn a LOT this season and I can see him going onto great things.

LH is great in the wet, but I think that's more because of his car than his driving. As for comparing Kovi to LH, I think Kovi is a good driver, but not in the same league as LH.

Kimi is also formidable in the wet, but the Ferrari chassis is no good at getting tyres to the right temperature in cool conditions, which obviously includes wet weather.

Kubica is also great in the wet, but doesn't have the car to challenge Ferrari or McLaren. Same with Alonso.

The main problem with this season is that the main WDC contenders have made several stupid mistakes. In terms of consistency, Kubica has been the best driver out there, it's just that he doesn't have the right car.IMHO, Kubica is the only driver who deserves the WDC this season. It's too bad he won't get it.

Whoever wins, Hamilton or Massa, he will only win by being less bad than the other. That's not a very credible WDC.

mips
October 20th, 2008, 12:07 PM
Two words, Ayrton Senna (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ayrton_Senna) ;)

gn2
October 20th, 2008, 12:15 PM
Two words, Ayrton Senna (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ayrton_Senna) ;)

Brilliant driver, almost as good as Jackie Stewart (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jackie_Stewart).

mips
October 20th, 2008, 12:40 PM
Brilliant driver, almost as good as Jackie Stewart (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jackie_Stewart).

Saw him on tv the other day giving Captain Slow form Top Gear some lessons. Still seems to have it in him.

gn2
October 20th, 2008, 01:00 PM
Saw him on tv the other day giving Captain Slow form Top Gear some lessons. Still seems to have it in him.

In a TVR as I recall.
I grew up with a poster of a Tyrell Ford on my wall...
He stopped driving at exactly the right time and has done more for F1 than many realise.

Sir Jackie Stewart is a remarkable man and it's quite telling that when he sold off his Stewart Grand Prix (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stewart_Grand_Prix) F1 team to Ford/Jaguar (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaguar_Racing), despite having better resources made available, the team promptly fell on it's posterior.

samjh
October 20th, 2008, 01:03 PM
He stopped driving at exactly the right time and has done more for F1 than many realise.

Not just for F1, but for motorsport in general.

He was branded a coward for trying to promote safety in motorsport, but it didn't phase him.

gn2
October 20th, 2008, 01:14 PM
Not just for F1, but for motorsport in general.

He was branded a coward for trying to promote safety in motorsport, but it didn't phase him.

He's far from a coward. He fought the motorsport establishment in a cause that he firmly believed in and won.

Canis familiaris
October 20th, 2008, 01:35 PM
MS was.
No he wasn't that good really. (MS = Michael Schumacher, Not Microsoft right?)

gn2
October 20th, 2008, 02:51 PM
No he wasn't that good really. (MS = Michael Schumacher, Not Microsoft right?)

In this context yes, MS = Michael Schumacher.
His record of achievement in F1 speaks for itself.
To suggest "he wasn't that good really" is either delusion or trolling.

Canis familiaris
October 20th, 2008, 03:55 PM
To disagree with someone's opinion != delusion or trolling.
He was a good driver? Yes. But really *that* good? No. For 2000-2004 He always had a far better car to his peers and honestly his team mate was always treated as second rate by Ferrari. (remember Barichello once had been instructed by Ferrari to let Schumi overtake him in last lap?)

Carondimonio
October 20th, 2008, 04:05 PM
His record of achievement in F1 speaks for itself.

Definitely agree. With all his negative sides (and he sure had them), MS was light years better than 95% of his contemporaries and significantly better than the other 5%. The only exceptions could be:
- Senna, but we never saw a real, direct comparison between a mature MS and him. Sadly.
- Hakkinen: on his day, he could be even faster than MS, but he lacked the mental strength and work ethics of the German.
- Alesi, but only in the wet and when he had a good day.

Carondimonio
October 20th, 2008, 04:11 PM
He was a good driver? Yes. But really *that* good? No. For 2000-2004 He always had a far better car to his peers and honestly his team mate was always treated as second rate by Ferrari. (remember Barichello once had been instructed by Ferrari to let Schumi overtake him in last lap?)

Not completely true; in 2003, Williams was a serious competitor to Ferrari, outclassing them in several races. It's just that their drivers weren't that good (Montoya was too hot headed and Ralf Schumacher... well, he really was "Half" Schumacher).

Also in 2000 and 2001 Ferrari wasn't clearly superior in terms of pace; McLaren used to have very fast cars, but their reliability was their Achille's heel.

Also, it would be worth to note that in 1996 and 1997 Schumacher had clearly inferior cars compared to the all-dominant Williams, still he was able to bring the championship down to the wire. This fact alone speaks volumes about the differences between MS and his championship rivals of the time.

gn2
October 20th, 2008, 06:18 PM
Compare and contrast Benetton's 1995 season with 1996.
Notice any difference?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benetton_Formula#Complete_Formula_One_results

Schumacher took Benetton to F1 victory, then he did the same at Ferrari which was a failing team prior to his arrival.
The fact that so many of the Benetton team went with him to Ferrari indicates that they thought he could win there and wanted to be a part of that success.

gn2
October 20th, 2008, 06:30 PM

I agree.

But you are not disagreeing with my opinion, you are disagreeing with the facts of Michael Schumacher's utterly outstanding career record.

To suggest that "he wasn't that good really" is akin to claiming that the Earth is flat or that the Moon is made of cheese.

Canis familiaris
October 20th, 2008, 06:50 PM
I agree.

But you are not disagreeing with my opinion, you are disagreeing with the facts of Michael Schumacher's utterly outstanding career record.

To suggest that "he wasn't that good really" is akin to claiming that the Earth is flat or that the Moon is made of cheese.

Umm..sorry I didn't make myself clear but I meant he is not the BEST DRIVER EVER as people make him. He was among the best, yes. But not THE BEST and I do think Lewis will come close to his talents.

gn2
October 20th, 2008, 07:11 PM
Umm..sorry I didn't make myself clear but I meant he is not the BEST DRIVER EVER as people make him. He was among the best, yes. But not THE BEST and I do think Lewis will come close to his talents.

I agree with you. Realistically a driver can only be compared with his peers, Schumacher was the best of his time by a country mile.

Hamilton still has much to learn and he will have to alter his personality if he is to be one of the great drivers.

If I had to pick the best driver of all time it would be Jackie Stewart.