PDA

View Full Version : Feisty Fawn, 7.04, has reached its end of life.

bigbrovar
October 19th, 2008, 11:25 AM
Ubuntu 7.04 will reach the end of its support period on Sunday, October 19, 2008. After that date, no further listing for it will be posted here. You are encouraged to upgrade to Ubuntu 7.10.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=947232

Although i dont run it anymore .. its was my first experience with Linux.. is still remembered the cold rainy night on july 5th 2007 when i installed ubuntu feisty fawn for the first time on my then gateway laptop. it was rock solid. and everything just worked out of the box. i am yet to see another version of ubuntu that is as solid as feisty was for me in term of stability. after some initial problems i can say hardy comes close. but feisty. it was perfect. even the splash screen works. many still think that feisty fawn was the distro that brought the largest number of people to ubuntu/linux. i think it was the distro that brought ubuntu to the average joe (no not the plumber one) :) . remember it was feisty that dell started shipping on their computers.
oh well i guess life goes on. i just hope that intrepid is as stable when it is released.

Prefix100
October 19th, 2008, 11:55 AM
To answer your signature, Man did not 'evolve from apes' but shared a common ancestor with the apes your speak of.

We are just another species of ape, that evolved down a different path and after millions of years two distinct different species are made.

smoker
October 19th, 2008, 12:04 PM
fiesty was great, sad it is now confined to history, but hope intrepid makes as much an impact :-)

Tux Aubrey
October 19th, 2008, 12:55 PM
I feel like Bambi when her mother died. :(

Linux&Gsus
October 19th, 2008, 01:29 PM
Feisty was not my first Linux but my first Kubuntu I tried. Even though I didn't really fully move towards Kubuntu before 7.10 it basically was the version greatly influenced my decision to switch to Kubuntu. Been using Fedora at that time.
Well, for the desktop that is. My little server under my desk is running Debian and I don't see any reason to change that at the moment.

Actually, I still have the the 7.04 install CD. A little nostalgia here, I guess.:KS

Cheers.

billgoldberg
October 19th, 2008, 01:30 PM
I feel like Bambi when her mother died. :(

Me too, indifferent.

Johnsie
October 19th, 2008, 01:31 PM
Breezy was the best of the bunch. Feisty was just the 'finished version' of Edgy. Anything post dapper had too much bloat.

Canis familiaris
October 19th, 2008, 02:47 PM
Dapper was my favourite.

gn2
October 19th, 2008, 07:08 PM
I've used 5.10, 6.06, 7.04, 7.10 and 8.04.

7.04 was my favourite.

andrewabc
October 19th, 2008, 07:28 PM
Why would they recommend 7.04 users to update to 7.10?
Wouldn't 8.04 be better to update to?

When updating wouldn't it automatically upgrade to latest release version (in this case hardy).

And if they decide to update after intrepid is released, wouldn't it update to 8.10?

EDIT:
Hmm, so upgrading is not supported?
So not possible to update to a release other than the next version?
So if they are using 7.04 and upgrade to 7.10, they cannot upgrade to 8.04? they must clean install a 8.04 release?

smartboyathome
October 19th, 2008, 07:42 PM
Hmm, so upgrading is not supported?
So not possible to update to a release other than the next version?
So if they are using 7.04 and upgrade to 7.10, they cannot upgrade to 8.04? they must clean install a 8.04 release?

No, its supported. To update you do exactly what you said, update through releases to the latest one except with LTS releases, which can update from one to another.

andrewabc
October 19th, 2008, 08:53 PM
No, its supported. To update you do exactly what you said, update through releases to the latest one except with LTS releases, which can update from one to another.

ok, I'm just confused why they are recommending people to upgrade to 7.10
No mention of upgrading to anything but 7.10. Hardy and Intrepid have to be clean installs according to the news.

Your choices are

1) Upgrade or clean install to Gutsy Gibbon. Its end-of-life is in 6 months - April 2009.

2) Clean install Hardy Heron - Long Term Support. Its end-of-life is Desktop: April 2011 and Servers: April 2013.

3) Clean install Intrepid Ibex - will be stable on 30 October 2008. Its end-of-life is April 2010.