PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Graphics card temperature, aticonfig, lm-sensors

Eremit
October 19th, 2008, 09:45 AM
Update
Solution on karmic:

Uninstall "sensors-applet"
Get source for version >=2.2.5 ( http://sensors-applet.sourceforge.net/index.php?content=source ).
Make sure aticonfig is working (see below).
Compile and install (one possibility is with "checkinstall").
The sensors-applet should now list you graphics card temperature.

On my ATI Radeon HD4850 I can read out the temperature and fan speed with aticonfig:

aticonfig --adapter=0 --od-gettemperature
aticonfig --pplib-cmd "get fanspeed 0"

Is there a way to tell lm-sensors, respectively the sensors-applet, this temperature, so that I can display it in the gnome-panel?

gen0
October 28th, 2008, 03:20 AM
Hi Eremit,

I can't help you with your problem, but could you describe the steps you took to get 'aticonfig --pplib-cmd "get fanspeed 0"' working? I'm trying to do the same for my X1950 - not sure if just the card is unsupported or if I've done something wrong.

Eremit
October 29th, 2008, 08:29 PM
I have this command from somewhere in the forum here. Of course you have to have the proprietary driver running.
Maybe your card just doesn't support reading out the fan speed?
Is temperature working?

I posted the issue in the lm-sensors mailing list and they didn't want to hear about the aticonfig tool because its proprietary software. They want to code it themselves as a kernel module/driver. So I guess it will take some time until it's supported...

Cammy
October 29th, 2008, 09:11 PM
Eremit, I suppose you could always use lm-sensors to display the temp on conky.

sirdiego
December 29th, 2008, 05:40 PM
Hey Eremit, you got some news for this? I have the same problem and dont know how to read out temp with lm-sensors :/

Eremit
January 14th, 2009, 10:29 AM
Sorry no news. I gave up a while ago... :\

Eremit
March 3rd, 2009, 06:14 PM
Hi all,

I made a small applet in python. Please test it and give me feedback.
(I reused the icons from sensors-applet 2.2.1)

Update

This package is outdated and shouldn't/can't be used any more.

crypto178
April 3rd, 2009, 02:53 PM
Your applet works fine, thank you :)

blacksm1th
April 21st, 2009, 04:44 PM
Hi all,

I made a small applet in python. Please test it and give me feedback.
(I reused the icons from sensors-applet 2.2.1)

Nice work. Thank you. Can you make it like "sensors-applet" with more visual options?
It's working with x64 Intrepid too :).

# getlibs -i python-gnome2-extras_2.19.1-0ubuntu11_i386.deb
# getlibs -i atitemp_0.1.0-1_i386.deb

bobo38_fr
July 17th, 2009, 09:50 PM
Thanks for this applet... it looks pretty nice ! but I'm afraid it is not working on my config

I'm told that "Erreur : Architecture « i386 » incorrecte"
which can be translated "Error : incorrect architecture i386"

for sure yes ! my config is 64 bits : could you precise your method, please ?

# getlibs -i python-gnome2-extras_2.19.1-0ubuntu11_i386.deb
# getlibs -i atitemp_0.1.0-1_i386.deb

thanks you so much !

bobo38_fr
July 17th, 2009, 10:03 PM
Okay I've found getlibs !!
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=474790
this forum is really full of treasures (k10temp install method, this homemade applet for ATI HD4850, and now informations about a software to run 32 bit with 64 bits !!)

install is done...
...but now I do not manage to launch the applet !

bobo38_fr
July 17th, 2009, 11:01 PM
mmm...

Installing libraries ...with nothing more does not mean "installation is successful"... atitempmain.py was not copied in /usr/bin directory. I used
sudo dpkg -i --force-architecture atitemp_0.1.0-1_i386.deb
atitempmain.py is now at the right place but i'm afraid i do understand the way to use getlibs.:confused:

Blacksm1th, should you add some more informations about the way you installed atitemp .deb package on a 64 bits architecture ?

myk02k
October 5th, 2009, 01:46 AM
Well, I hit a road block trying to install on Jaunty x64. Here's what I tried:

-Downloaded "getlibs-all" & "atitemp_0.1.0-1_i386.deb" from recommended source.
-Did the following in a terminal:

# sudo apt-get install python-gnome2-extras
# sudo getlibs -i atitemp_0.1.0-1_i386.deb
# sudo apt-get install python2.5
# sudo dpkg -i --force-architecture atitemp_0.1.0-1_i386.deb

I added the ATI Temp panel applet and it only shows the GPU icon, but no temperatures. Any ideas?

myk02k
October 7th, 2009, 09:11 PM
aticonfig --adapter=0 --od-gettemperature
ERROR - ATI Overdrive(TM) is not supported on Adapter 0 - ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4500 Series

aticonfig --pplib-cmd "get fanspeed 0"
PPLIB command execution has failed!
ati_pplib_cmd: execute "get" failed!

myk02k
October 17th, 2009, 08:01 AM
Is it possible that there is a 32 bit dependency that I am not meeting to get this applet running?

Ozsmoka
November 7th, 2009, 10:32 PM
Hi found this thread at random, thanks for the code for getting sensor data for my 4870x2.

Like everyone here I'd love to find some way to display this info in my panel beside lm-sensors or with lm-sensors.

I'm using an x86 install of Karmic and tried to install with the .deb package. I got the error

"Error: Dependency is not satisfiable: python2.5-gnome2-extras"

Is there a repo I'm missing, or is this due to the fact that Karmic uses Gnome 2.28?

Thanks for sharing your app with us.

Cheers,

oz

rodgersan
December 12th, 2009, 10:51 PM
The 2.2.5 release of gnome-sensors-applet brings aticonfig support. I couldn't make it work though. Compilation went fine without any error.

Has anyone succeeded in compiling with aticonfig?

Regards,

EDIT: It works now, I forgot to run the "sudo aticonfig --initial -f" command. However, fan speed isn't displayed.

Arlukin
December 17th, 2009, 02:39 AM
The 2.2.5 release of gnome-sensors-applet brings aticonfig support. I couldn't make it work though. Compilation went fine without any error.
But you also had to update to GNOME 2.8 manually? Or was it possible to do in another way?

rodgersan
December 17th, 2009, 06:07 PM
But you also had to update to GNOME 2.8 manually? Or was it possible to do in another way?

Hi, didn't need to update anything, I'm using Gnome 2.28 which is shipped with Karmic. Is that what you meant?

Regards,

Arlukin
December 18th, 2009, 10:44 AM
Hi, didn't need to update anything, I'm using Gnome 2.28 which is shipped with Karmic. Is that what you meant?

Regards,
Strange, on the page http://sensors-applet.sourceforge.net/index.php?content=requirements you can see that it requires "GNOME 2.8 desktop environment, with GTK >=2.4.0 and libpanelapplet-2". And when I tried to compile it, the ./configure complained about the GTK version. Maybe you have the right GTK version, and the Gnome 2.8 wasn't really required?

rodgersan
December 18th, 2009, 08:51 PM
Strange, on the page http://sensors-applet.sourceforge.net/index.php?content=requirements you can see that it requires "GNOME 2.8 desktop environment, with GTK >=2.4.0 and libpanelapplet-2". And when I tried to compile it, the ./configure complained about the GTK version. Maybe you have the right GTK version, and the Gnome 2.8 wasn't really required?

They really need to update their features page. I don't know what gtk version you need to compile it successfully but I'm pretty sure that it will compile fine with any gnome release from the 2.20.

Unfortunately, if you want to use the 2.2.5, you will need to compile it by yourself afaik.

Regards,

EDIT: If you are using Karmic (as stated in your profile), we have the same version (2.18). What is the terminal output?

Arlukin
December 19th, 2009, 10:24 AM
They really need to update their features page. I don't know what gtk version you need to compile it successfully but I'm pretty sure that it will compile fine with any gnome release from the 2.20.

Unfortunately, if you want to use the 2.2.5, you will need to compile it by yourself afaik.

Regards,

EDIT: If you are using Karmic (as stated in your profile), we have the same version (2.18). What is the terminal output?
Hmm, my fault, their is no Gnome 2.8 just 2.28 so it was a typo on their web page. I probably just need to upgrade my gtk version. I kind of gave up when I saw that it was required to upgrade my Gnome version. Thanks for brining some sense into my head =)

rodgersan
December 19th, 2009, 03:11 PM
Hmm, my fault, their is no Gnome 2.8 just 2.28 so it was a typo on their web page. I probably just need to upgrade my gtk version. I kind of gave up when I saw that it was required to upgrade my Gnome version. Thanks for brining some sense into my head =)

Are you sure that you need to update gtk? I hadn't to. Good luck anyway!

Arlukin
December 19th, 2009, 06:33 PM
Are you sure that you need to update gtk? I hadn't to. Good luck anyway!
Ok, I admit it, I'm ******* noob. I didn't look at the error messages when running the ./configure, and I didn't use my head. Of course I forgot to install all the -dev packages.

But now when they are installed the compile worked fine, and the applet showing me the ATI temp.

rodgersan
December 19th, 2009, 07:28 PM
Ok, I admit it, I'm ******* noob. I didn't look at the error messages when running the ./configure, and I didn't use my head. Of course I forgot to install all the -dev packages.

But now when they are installed the compile worked fine, and the applet showing me the ATI temp.

=D>\\:D/ (this one is funny)

Eremit
January 8th, 2010, 01:42 PM
Hi all, sorry I didn't respond for so long.
I updated my relevant posts on the first thread page.
Please do not use my package any longer.

sensors-applet >2.2.5 can show the graphics card temperature now and it can be compiled and installed on karmic in a few seconds. I can give detailed instructions if someone needs it ;)

andrewthomas
April 1st, 2010, 10:37 PM
Update
Solution on karmic:

Uninstall "sensors-applet"
Get source for version >=2.2.5 ( http://sensors-applet.sourceforge.net/index.php?content=source ).
Make sure aticonfig is working (see below).
Compile and install (one possibility is with "checkinstall").
The sensors-applet should now list you graphics card temperature.

By the way, it is now available in a debian package here:

http://packages.debian.org/sid/sensors-applet

andrek
July 31st, 2010, 12:03 PM
I'm using sensors-applet 2.2.7 from debian sid on my Maverick system and it still doesn't show my ATI card ( mobility 4570 - dell studio 15 laptop ) temperature. This is the screenshot showing the list of sensors it detects :

http://j.imagehost.org/t/0694/sensors.jpg (http://j.imagehost.org/view/0694/sensors)

None of these is the right one - checked by aticonfig. ( which is fully working )
Any ideas?

edit

Ok, I compiled it from sources and now it shows aticonfig sensor! Hooray!
So, looks like the packages from both debian sid and ubuntu maverick don't show the aticonfig sensor at all. Maybe I should file a bug then?

andre_f
October 15th, 2010, 06:40 PM
I'm using sensors-applet 2.2.7 from debian sid on my Maverick system and it still doesn't show my ATI card ( mobility 4570 - dell studio 15 laptop ) temperature. This is the screenshot showing the list of sensors it detects :

http://j.imagehost.org/t/0694/sensors.jpg (http://j.imagehost.org/view/0694/sensors)

None of these is the right one - checked by aticonfig. ( which is fully working )
Any ideas?

edit

Ok, I compiled it from sources and now it shows aticonfig sensor! Hooray!
So, looks like the packages from both debian sid and ubuntu maverick don't show the aticonfig sensor at all. Maybe I should file a bug then?

Hi everyone!

Thanks for the help andrek!! Finally it's working (Lucid 10.04)...I had to compile from the source (2.2.7).

:guitar: