PDA

View Full Version : And I thought _I_ had a short attention span...

MaxIBoy
October 19th, 2008, 09:27 AM
Doesn't anyone listen to an entire song anymore? Someone got out a batter-powered iHome after the PLAN test today, and I swear he didn't get a third of the way through anything before deciding he'd rather listen to a different song.

This annoys the carp out of me.

Can anyone shed some light on why he was doing this? I asked some people, and they looked at me like I was an idiot and said, "some people like more than one song." As if that shed any light on anything.

handy
October 19th, 2008, 11:01 AM
Growing up watching commercial TV has shortened the attention span of people. School teachers have to work with the knowledge that most of the class has less than approx' 7 minutes (if I remember right) of attention. There are age related variables involved as well. I'll check this out with my daughter she is a trained school teacher.

Our environment works on us.

NovaAesa
October 19th, 2008, 11:08 AM
My attention span isn't all that long. Although at time I can.... OMG LOOK OVER THERE I GOT AN EMAIL!

ronnielsen1
October 19th, 2008, 11:13 AM
What was this post about again?

sethvath
October 19th, 2008, 11:19 AM
An analogy, I took a bite of a lemon and found it too sour for my taste. Should I

1. eat the whole damn thing and make up my mind after forcing it down my throat
2. finish it anyways and move to the next lemon, surely that was a bad lemon and the next one might be sweet
3. or dump the lemon and move on to the sweet juicy mango

If he does not like the song why would he stay to listen to the whole song (lemon) instead of moving to the next one (mango). But judging from the response "some people like more than one song" I reckon he likes the song but has heard it enough times that the chance of discovering a new song that he might fancy outweighs hearing the same song for the #18725257626228288228220 time.

forger
October 19th, 2008, 11:32 AM
Doesn't have to do with attention span at all.. they just like to listen to 1/3 of a song until they find something that they like.
However, it has everything to do with you being annoyed by that :) It's called showing off I guess, the more times you click something, the more times people will notice you move heh. Sounds like a really mild narcissistic personality disorder from my point of view, but on the other hand, which child or teenager doesn't crave for attention? :)

MaxIBoy, don't be antisocial or shun contact with others by talking behind their back to other people, you could confront the guy that troubles you instead. Politeness is the key ;)

By the way, this post doesn't belong to the new rules of this forum, it's neither lighthearted nor enjoyable. (Again, my opinion)

Giant Speck
October 19th, 2008, 11:32 AM
I think so, Brain, but if it was only supposed to be a three hour tour, why did the Howells bring all their money?

sethvath
October 19th, 2008, 11:52 AM
I like how this thread is progressing - its getting weirder.

Suggesting that the kid was narcissistic and trying to gain attention by song flipping was rather unexpected. What other explainations could be inferred from his actions?

3rdalbum
October 19th, 2008, 12:41 PM
Sometimes, rarely, I do that too. I think "I'd like to listen to this song", and then a minute into it I grow bored of it and change it.

Other times, I can listen to a 10 minute instrumental track, or a relaxation CD that lasts 40 minutes.

paul101
October 19th, 2008, 12:47 PM
some times i have an attention span of a gol...

MaxIBoy
October 20th, 2008, 12:04 AM
I don't think it's possible for someone to get bored so easily. Literally, he'd scroll through the list until he's suddenly say, "I really like this one!" Then, he'd headbang for about 45 seconds, maybe singing along a little. After that, he'd start scrolling through the list again. I suppose this could betray a degree of memorization bordering on tedium, but if you're that tired of a song, why play it at all? Or maybe skip through to the next third of the song, which you probably haven't heard in months. Now there's some variety for you.

MaxIBoy, don't be antisocial or shun contact with others by talking behind their back to other people, you could confront the guy that troubles you instead. Politeness is the key ;)
I talked to the guy operating the iPod first. He gave me that rude answer. After that, I started asking other people out of sheer curiosity.

frankleeee
October 20th, 2008, 12:14 AM
Doesn't anyone listen to an entire song anymore? Someone got out a batter-powered iHome after the PLAN test today, and I swear he didn't get a third of the way through anything before deciding he'd rather listen to a different song.

This annoys the carp out of me.

Can anyone shed some light on why he was doing this? I asked some people, and they looked at me like I was an idiot and said, "some people like more than one song." As if that shed any light on anything.

Was the song complex harmonically, rhythmically, or lyrically enough to warrant more than a 1/3rd listening. Many songs within that amount have presented the main section and chorus, the rest is just repeating the same stuff, can you post the actual song.

frankleeee
October 20th, 2008, 12:18 AM
I like how this thread is progressing - its getting weirder.

Suggesting that the kid was narcissistic and trying to gain attention by song flipping was rather unexpected. What other explainations could be inferred from his actions?

Assuming he is under 18 a conduct disorder (just kidding)

scragar
October 20th, 2008, 12:22 AM
Maybe he just doesn't like a part of one of the... ooh, email

back, anyway, as I was saying ...song, I don't like... BRB, IRC

back, ...some parts of some of the songs im my music... ooh, another email

back, ...collection, why does it always have to come down to... ooh, missing TV

back, ...it being a problem with him?

TBOL3
October 20th, 2008, 01:24 AM
I want to know why the Howels brought a pool table! I mean come ON IT"S THREE HOURS!!!

Oops, sorry teacher, I guess I just have a short atention span. What was the- Oh look, a butterfly!

zmjjmz
October 20th, 2008, 02:43 AM
Dammit, all the good ADD jokes have been taken.
Well there's always meine Kaetzchens.

MaxIBoy
October 20th, 2008, 02:46 AM
Q: How many kids with ADD does it take to screw in a light bulb?
A: Hey, let's go ride bikes!
Sorry, couldn't resist. Speaking as a kid with ADHD (controlled through medication,) I can attest to the accuracy of that joke.

Frak
October 20th, 2008, 03:33 AM
Who are the Howells and why do they have a frikkin pool table?

-grubby
October 20th, 2008, 03:35 AM

I want a pool table!

bp1509
October 20th, 2008, 03:35 AM
d

MaxIBoy
October 20th, 2008, 03:43 AM
Don't even want to know.

Giant Speck
October 20th, 2008, 03:46 AM

Thurston Howell, III and his wife, "Lovey" from Gilligan's Island.

http://heykidscomics.com/blog_04170601.jpg

TBOL3
October 20th, 2008, 04:23 AM
Yup, I just remembered that on one episode, they whipped out their pool table. And I just thought, 'no wonder why they crashed!'

Lord Xeb
October 20th, 2008, 05:50 AM
I sometimes listen to a song 2 or three times before moving on. I love Liberi Fatali by Nobuo Uematsu and One Winded Angle (Metal Version), Also, I like Divinity II by Uematsu as well :D