nkingcade
October 19th, 2008, 03:35 AM
I have run the command:

sudo find /lib/modules/$(uname -r) -name "*ndiswrapper*"

What this returns is:

/lib/modules/2.6.24-19-generic/ubuntu/misc/ndiswrapper
/lib/modules/2.6.24-19-generic/ubuntu/misc/ndiswrapper/ndiswrapper.ko

my question is:

What is this indicating? That the kernel module is available? I have a wusb54g linksys card I am trying to use on this machine. It only has windows drivers. What would be my next step if the kernel module is available? thanks.

cariboo
October 19th, 2008, 03:58 AM
It would seem that the modules are ready for insertion. You need to have your windows drivers handy. If you have your Livecd close at hand, install ndisgtk. It is in /pool/main/n. this will make it a lot easier to install the drivers.

Other wise in a terminal type:

sudo ndiswrapper -i /path/to/windows/inf file

Then to make sure that you installed the correct windows driver, in the same terminal:

sudo ndiswrapper -l

this command should echo back that the device is present and what driver it is using. If it was successful, next insert the module, in the same terminal type:

sudo modprobe ndiswrapper

if nothing echoed back the you succeeded in installing the module. Now just restart networking and things should work. To restart networking in the terminal type:

sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart

If you don't get any errors you should be ready to go.

Jim

Ayuthia
October 19th, 2008, 04:03 AM
I have run the command:

sudo find /lib/modules/$(uname -r) -name "*ndiswrapper*"

What this returns is:

/lib/modules/2.6.24-19-generic/ubuntu/misc/ndiswrapper
/lib/modules/2.6.24-19-generic/ubuntu/misc/ndiswrapper/ndiswrapper.ko

my question is:

What is this indicating? That the kernel module is available? I have a wusb54g linksys card I am trying to use on this machine. It only has windows drivers. What would be my next step if the kernel module is available? thanks.

It does mean that the module is available. Ubuntu packages the kernel module for ndiswrapper, but you will still need to install the ndiswrapper application (ndiswrapper-utils-1.9 from the Ubuntu repositories or the live CD) to get it to work.

nkingcade
October 19th, 2008, 05:03 AM
I have found the ndisgtk on the disk. However, it is a .deb file. How do I install the file? Thanks again.

Partyboi2
October 19th, 2008, 11:43 AM
I have found the ndisgtk on the disk. However, it is a .deb file. How do I install the file? Thanks again.
You can double click on it to install, or from a terminal change directory to where the deb is and install it using

sudo dpkg -i package Change package to actual package name. You probably will also need to install ndiswrapper-common ndiswrapper-utils-1.9

amup
October 19th, 2008, 03:08 PM
install ndisgtk. It is in /pool/main/n.

Hello, I too am trying to install ndiswrapper. I am in /pool/main/n and can not find ndisgtk. Can it be somewhere else and how do I find it?

I have tried (from /media/cdrom0):

find -name ndisgtk
find -name "*ndisgtk*"

And nothing.

Bucky Ball
October 19th, 2008, 03:12 PM
What wireless cards are you both using? You can find this by pasting:

lspci

in a terminal. Just curious as to whether you need ndiswrapper in the first place.

amup
October 19th, 2008, 03:20 PM
Mine is a Belkin Wireless Pre-N Notebook Network Card Part# F5D8010 Version 1000

Btw, when I do "lspci" it says the Ethernet controller is Airgo Networks Inc AGN100 802.11 a/b/g True MIMO Wireless Card (rev 01)

nkingcade
October 19th, 2008, 11:56 PM
I have installed ndwrapper. Still no joy with the wusb54g card. ndiswrapper -l gives me

rt2500usb : driver installed

device (13B1:000D) present (alternate driver: rt2500usb)

Anyone give me any pointers on this problem? thanks

Bucky Ball
October 20th, 2008, 01:06 AM
nkingcade:

http://blog.eksfiles.net/2008/07/06/sucess-with-hardy-heron-and-linksys-wusb54g-wireless-adapter/

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/howto-setup-linksys-wusb54g-v4-wireless-in-ubuntu-gusty.html

http://www.fam.tuwien.ac.at/~schamane/_/blog:080512_wusb54g_wpa_on_ubuntu_8.04

You might want to dig in here also:

http://au.altavista.com/web/results?itag=ody&q=wusb54g+ubuntu+hardy+&kgs=0&kls=0

From what I can see, ndiswrapper is not mentioned for you USB device in the three links I have posted. :)

nkingcade
October 20th, 2008, 03:28 AM
Thanks to all who helped in this problem. I think I have it working now. Signal strength is low. However, the driver is loaded and it appears I'm usiing the proper version of rt2500usb. thanks again to all.