PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite "hacker" or computer movie?

Ripfox
October 19th, 2008, 02:33 AM
I saw "Wargames:The Dead Code" and it was ok, and I just saw Diehard 2.0 or whatever and it was really good. I want to find more computer related movies or hacker flicks like those. I also saw the original Wargames (classic) and that lame movie "Hackers" (I even watched Hackers 2, I know, I know, I'm a sadomasochist)

Any others? :)

MunkyJunky
October 19th, 2008, 02:35 AM
Haven't seen many, but I enjoyed 'Wargames'.

solitaire
October 19th, 2008, 02:39 AM
Origional "War Games" was a classic movie!!! "The Dead Code" was a strange mix of Sequel / Remake.

"Hackers" (just for Annjolene and the guy from the eurythmics!)
"Die Hard 4.0" (total cow poop!!)
"Sneakers!" Technically it's a Computer caper movie! (on TV at this moment in the UK :D)

jimi_hendrix
October 19th, 2008, 02:41 AM
die hard 4 (i love all of those movies and the hackers all use linux (well its not windows) and the gov uses windows...no wonder)

does the italian job count cause they have to hack the traffic lights?

LaRoza
October 19th, 2008, 02:42 AM
No favourites, movies fail at "hacker"s: http://www.cracked.com/article_15229_5-things-hollywood-thinks-computers-can-do.html

scragar
October 19th, 2008, 02:43 AM
The net, I know, I know, it's a bad film, but honestly it's got no competition at all :p

Sealbhach
October 19th, 2008, 02:44 AM
Pirates of Silicon Valley.

Although I guess you mean mainstream movies that include bits of hacking in them?

earthpigg
October 19th, 2008, 02:50 AM
dont forget batman's butler hacking everyone's cell phones in order to give batman a super duper VR HUD based on sounds being recorded on cell phones.

earthpigg
October 19th, 2008, 02:51 AM
No favourites, movies fail at "hacker"s: http://www.cracked.com/article_15229_5-things-hollywood-thinks-computers-can-do.html

wow, cracked.com plugged 4chan...

Ripfox
October 19th, 2008, 02:53 AM
@ LaRoza: nice link lol

Yes, I mean like full production hollywood movies I guess...not like "Linux:The Code" or other informative movies. :lolflag:

ZarathustraDK
October 19th, 2008, 02:53 AM
OMG I HACKED TEH GIBSON!

"Hackers" is pretty funny just because it's so ridiculous.

Favorite quote gotta be when "The Plague" is handed some paper-documents: "Ewww...analog...".

The sequence where the kids make life tough for the FBI-guy is also pretty amusing.

Ripfox
October 19th, 2008, 02:54 AM
dont forget batman's butler hacking everyone's cell phones in order to give batman a super duper VR HUD based on sounds being recorded on cell phones.

Yes that was sweet :lolflag:

solitaire
October 19th, 2008, 02:54 AM
Item 2 on that list La Rozza *IS* technically possible. it would just take a few years to run to get that sort of total. The remainders are discarded and not tracked.

Item 3 is correct only for the fact that most info in people are still on paper not Computer :D

Ripfox
October 19th, 2008, 02:55 AM
OMG I HACKED TEH GIBSON!

"Hackers" is pretty funny just because it's so ridiculous.

Favorite quote gotta be when "The Plague" is handed some paper-documents: "Ewww...analog...".

The sequence where the kids make life tough for the FBI-guy is also pretty amusing.

I LOVE cheesy movies like that. Very entertaining while eating munchies...:)

yabbadabbadont
October 19th, 2008, 02:55 AM
How about Tron?

He hacked the system from the inside... ;)

Ripfox
October 19th, 2008, 02:58 AM
How about Tron?

He hacked the system from the inside... ;)

Totally qualifies :KS

kostkon
October 19th, 2008, 03:01 AM
Yeap! I'll say two: WarGames and Tron...

crimesaucer
October 19th, 2008, 03:01 AM
Pi: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0138704/

cardinals_fan
October 19th, 2008, 03:02 AM
AntiTrust made me want to rip out my brain and stab it before it could rot completely.

earthpigg
October 19th, 2008, 03:03 AM
i want to see a movie about teenagers using default ATM machine passwords to make random machines think it has $1 instead of $100 and paying for massive quantities of drugs or something.

1) actually realistic
2) potentially a lot of attractive scantily clad 'high school' ladies

they could do a suspence type thing. saaay canvass all of San Francisco to identify those ATM's with the default password (without doing anything during the canvassing, of course).

then on one specific day they do the job, a random car chase scene happens, and one of the main characters gets laid and falls in love or whatever.

earthpigg
October 19th, 2008, 03:06 AM
or, maybe a movie about identity theifs that brute force easy-to-guess bank account passwords, use social engineering, stuff like that... it could be a drama.

maybe a bunch of dudes that all do this and know each other online but not IRL... then one of the dude's mother becomes a victim and her life goes all to hell, dad ends up killing himself or something, and our young protagonist has to use his life-ruining skills to put his and his mothers life back together.

Ripfox
October 19th, 2008, 03:09 AM
AntiTrust made me want to rip out my brain and stab it before it could rot completely.

I will definitely be checking that one out. This is why I started the thread...that one slipped by me!

worx101
October 19th, 2008, 03:10 AM
I loved Hackers... :)

Mainly for one reason, I loved their GUI :P I mean comeon, you type out something and you fly threw space.

Now thats the GUI I want :)

earthpigg
October 19th, 2008, 03:15 AM
I loved Hackers... :)

Mainly for one reason, I loved their GUI :P I mean comeon, you type out something and you fly threw space.

Now thats the GUI I want :)

i got you set right here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdpUrzLbt6c), for only $99.

EdThaSlayer
October 19th, 2008, 03:21 AM
DieHard 4.0 was quite sweet. Would be interesting if doing what they did was actually possible, as no one has succeeded in doing that for real, at the moment that is.

Ripfox
October 19th, 2008, 03:21 AM
i got you set right here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdpUrzLbt6c), for only $99.

Ok I live in Nebraska and I still don't get the end of that commercial.

RumorsOfWar
October 19th, 2008, 03:29 AM
2001 a space odyssey.
It had a big computer with conflicting orders, so it went all Frankenstein and killed people. Nice statement about over reliance on tech. Not totally unrealistic either.

cardinals_fan
October 19th, 2008, 03:30 AM
2001 a space odyssey.
It had a big computer with conflicting orders, so it went all Frankenstein and killed people. Nice statement about over reliance on tech. Not totally unrealistic either.
I love HAL, but the monolith part was just weird.

Ripfox
October 19th, 2008, 03:33 AM
Excuse me Cardinals Fan I have to go take a segmentation fault...brb

earthpigg
October 19th, 2008, 03:36 AM
ah! i have one!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Decalogue

Polish films, 10 of them. One is about the commandment "Thou shal have no other gods before me."

dude programs his computer to state when it will be safe to walk out onto the frozen over lake. it states that, he sends his son out to play...

MaxIBoy
October 19th, 2008, 03:56 AM
Live Free or Die Hard had some of the most comical mistakes in even portraying a cracker, let alone a hacker.

david_lynch
October 19th, 2008, 04:08 AM
Antitrust was great. The interesting thing was, all the computers in the movie were running linux or some other flavor of unix, even the ones at microsoft.

Dunno what to say to the kid that didn't like it... go figure.

zmjjmz
October 19th, 2008, 04:10 AM
I love HAL, but the monolith part was just weird.

SPOILERS
The monolith is a computer too actually
END SPOILERS

SeanBlader
October 19th, 2008, 09:46 PM
Tron(1982), Hackers(1995), Antitrust(2001)

Those are the closest three to showing the computer community. If you think about when they were released and where society was in relation to computers at the time, they all had something to say.

Tron was really the precursor for a whole series of sci-fi, Wargames(1983), The Terminator(1984) and The Matrix(1999). The MCP = WOPR = Skynet, and being digitized into a computer is the matrix. James Cameron really took the idea of an omnipotent AI to the next level though with The Terminator, and the Wachowski brothers took digitization to the next level as well.

But as far as little elements of movies there are some lame excuses for hacking sequences in Transformers as well. Like the idea that one signal from Air Force One could download all the information from the Defense Department. Even with an AI doing the hacking there still isn't the bandwidth to transfer like that to an aircraft in flight. And the idea that an audio signal would be recognized as an audio signal and that they wouldn't get a picture or anything else from the base in the opening sequence is pretty far fetched.

Still though, Snow Crash would be a good one to make into a screenplay, I should reread that, it's been ages. I don't necessarily agree that any Gibson novels should try and go into that realm, he does good stuff, but they are more social commentaries on a small scale than they are about computers, their use and misuse in society.

What I'd like to see are a few movies that get into the hacker/cracker subculture better, and with more realism. They always make it look so glamorous, Angelina Jolie, Jonny Lee Miller, Carrie Ann Moss, Keanu Reeves. But then again, a lone programmer sitting in his bedroom punching commands into a terminal for hours on end isn't very exciting. Unless maybe during a timelapse sequence you see him grow a beard while working on it...

I think a lot of us are jaded in seeing what the real world of software looks like and when hollywood does it, they usually overdo it for dramatic effect and if you can't separate yourself from the reality of it then you miss out on the potential that the director and writers are trying to say.

Still I count Antitrust as one of my favorites and I can't wait until they do another computer geek based movie, they keep getting better every time.

cardinals_fan
October 19th, 2008, 09:50 PM
Antitrust was great. The interesting thing was, all the computers in the movie were running linux or some other flavor of unix, even the ones at microsoft.

Dunno what to say to the kid that didn't like it... go figure.
The acting was rather sad, and the camera angles / lighting... it made me appreciate the cinematography award at the Academy Awards.

SPOILERS
The monolith is a computer too actually
END SPOILERS
The monolith is. To understand implies logic, which is incompatible with the monolith.

extruct
October 19th, 2008, 10:28 PM
I liked hackers, the movie itself kinda stupid but it shows the hacking/cracking community in a nice way, like this small things with the phone trick, and hackers vs corporations.

Another one is Hackers 2, or as it called Operation Take Down, about Kevin Mitnick.

AntiTrust was pretty nice, like open source vs microsoft :p

The Net, also good one.

Die Hard 4, stupid as ***, but funny :p

Well I think this is all.

I-75
October 19th, 2008, 10:31 PM
Sneakers with Robert Redford

Nostrafus
October 19th, 2008, 10:52 PM
I'm gonna go with Wargames being my favorite.

I also did like Antitrust though not for realism (by any means) but because of the social aspects of it, and the debate between open & closed source programming.

bsharp
October 19th, 2008, 10:57 PM
I can't stand "hacker" movies because (almost) everything they do is completely wrong/not true.

MaxIBoy
October 19th, 2008, 11:54 PM
Actually, I think Tron is pretty accurate in some respects. For example, Flynn's attempts to gain entry mimic the way real viruses sneak in as part of innocent data, and try to hitch-hike their way to higher-level access by leaving malicious code in places where it stands a chance of being run with root access.

I admire the writers for admitting that it's simply easier to use an existing access key to gain entry, instead of all this cracking-open stuff.

I thought it was pretty funny when Flynn tried to bring down the entire system by throwing paradoxes against it (I think they're poking fun at the MCP, saying it's unstable and buggy.) The entire movie is actually littered with arguments against monolithic kernels:

WALTER GIBBS: The MCP, that's half our problem right there!
ED DILLIGNER: The MCP is the most efficient way of doing what we do here!

RAM: Can you tell me what's going on out there? I've been locked up for the past 500 nanoseconds.
CROM: It's murder out there! You can't even [jargon] your own [jargon] without permission from MCP!

plb
October 19th, 2008, 11:58 PM
Antitrust probably

crazyness003
October 20th, 2008, 12:35 AM
Im surprised no one said The Matrix. I mean, the entire universe is a computer program (probably running an obscure version of mac. if it where Linux, things woulda been a lot different. And it couldnt have been windows, because everyone woulda died upon "dialing in" due to the massive traffic, the servers woulda failed).

Also, what about The Perfect Score. Theres a part in the movie where an Asian guy (go figure, no disrespect) tries to hack the College Board in order to get the latest SAT answers.

And heres another 'Cracker' video, about a crazed lunatic who has 4 words...Click Here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvsboPUjrGc&NR=1)

elmer_42
October 20th, 2008, 02:24 AM
Im surprised no one said The Matrix.
Cue law of thermodynamics argument....

now.

MaxIBoy
October 20th, 2008, 02:30 AM
I dunno, I was planning to bring up the Heisenberg uncertainty principle...

jflaker
October 20th, 2008, 02:43 AM
WarGames (1983) Was good for its time but Office Space (1999) was more plausible as the possibility of raping a company from within was well ahead of its time!!!! Much like how some attempted to rape their companies prior to and during this financial crisis......

toupeiro
October 20th, 2008, 02:45 AM
I won't go as far as to call them "hacker movies" but I give them points for correct usage of terminology.

Breach

Untraceable

Compucore
October 20th, 2008, 03:16 AM
Oh yeah tron totally qualifies and for that gets ++1 for that one no matter how you slice that one. Love that movie and the pc and xbox game for it too. Did had a chance to see that leak of a possible 3 minute showing of a possible sequel of tron called tr2n?

Compucore

Totally qualifies :KS

JT9161
October 20th, 2008, 03:18 AM
WarGames, Hackers, and The Matrix. Not realistic but thats hardly why I watch fiction.

MaxIBoy
October 20th, 2008, 03:26 AM
Oh yeah tron totally qualifies and for that gets ++1 for that one no matter how you slice that one. Love that movie and the pc and xbox game for it too. Did had a chance to see that leak of a possible 3 minute showing of a possible sequel of tron called tr2n?

Compucore

I was pissed off when I found out there'd been a game made about it. Now the sequel pisses me off even more. That movie is a work of art!

d_skillz
October 20th, 2008, 03:59 AM
Swordfish (2001), Hackers & Matrix (Trilogy)

Paqman
October 20th, 2008, 04:01 AM
DieHard 4.0 was quite sweet. Would be interesting if doing what they did was actually possible, as no one has succeeded in doing that for real, at the moment that is.

I thought the part where Bruce Willis beat up an airplane with his bare hands was particularly realistic.

MaxIBoy
October 20th, 2008, 04:28 AM
It made a lot more sense when I was watching it...

Lord Xeb
October 20th, 2008, 05:51 AM
Hmmm. Cannot say that I have seen many movies in my life time, especially hacker movies. I would say firewall was pretty good. >_>

dracule
October 20th, 2008, 06:27 AM
I dunno, I was planning to bring up the Heisenberg uncertainty principle...

what does that have to do w/ anything?

MaxIBoy
October 20th, 2008, 06:32 AM
Did you read the post above it?

handy
October 20th, 2008, 06:40 AM
Revolution OS: (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7707585592627775409) It is the real deal.

dracule
October 20th, 2008, 06:49 AM
Revolution OS: (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7707585592627775409) It is the real deal.

how ironic, a cam of a film about open source

toupeiro
October 20th, 2008, 06:57 AM
I was pissed off when I found out there'd been a game made about it. Now the sequel pisses me off even more. That movie is a work of art!

Which Time they made a game about it? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tron:_Deadly_Discs)

eragon100
October 20th, 2008, 06:59 AM

The movie isn't free... normally :)

Yes, a commercial documentary about 0$ software, strange but true.

My favorite hacker movie would be "hackers"

IMAGinES
October 20th, 2008, 09:33 AM
I'll add another vote for TRON. The FPS game (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tron_2.0) released a few years back wasn't great, but it was good and it looked wonderful. And yes, I'm looking forward to TR2N.

handy
October 20th, 2008, 11:00 AM

I bought the new movie earlier this decade quite cheap, though it has been available for quite a long time on google.

I see no irony, it costs money to produce a movie that you want made available to the viewing public. Internet is still not fast enough in lots of places to watch flash or .avi on the web for a lot of people.

handy
October 20th, 2008, 11:03 AM
The movie isn't free... normally :)

Yes, a commercial documentary about 0$ software, strange but true.

My favorite hacker movie would be "hackers"

It's a movie about people who did & do play important roles in the development of the software industry & in the politics of freedom.

You should watch it, it won't cost you anything... If you have watched perhaps you should watch it again.

sloggerkhan
October 20th, 2008, 11:22 AM
The only things I can think of are Animes or TV shows...
Movie hacking is usually pretty ludicrous.

mips
October 20th, 2008, 12:03 PM
They all suck to be honest.

Try reading The Cuckoo's Egg (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cuckoo's_Egg) by Clifford Stoll (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clifford_Stoll)

Maybe one day someone will make a good movie based on the book.

eragon100
October 20th, 2008, 01:10 PM
I'll add another vote for TRON. The FPS game (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tron_2.0) released a few years back wasn't great, but it was good and it looked wonderful. And yes, I'm looking forward to TR2N.

I loved that game! It's one of the few single player games I played from beginning to end! And I think it still looks wonderful. You can pick it up for 5 € or less these days :D

notwen
October 20th, 2008, 01:46 PM
Take Down (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0159784/) anyone? It was a horrid attempt at detailing the Kevin Mitnick story.

---EDIT---
FREE KEVIN !!

extruct
October 20th, 2008, 01:50 PM
Take Down (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0159784/) anyone? It was a horrid attempt at detailing the Kevin Mitnick story.

---EDIT---
FREE KEVIN !!

Well Actually I mentioned it, IMHO its awesome movie.

random turnip
October 20th, 2008, 02:36 PM
What about Die Hard 4.0?

I love that film, and it's mainly about hacking with the whole Fire Sail thing going on there.

mips
October 20th, 2008, 03:47 PM
---EDIT---
FREE KEVIN !!

Released on January 21, 2000 under supervision.
Released from supervision on January 21, 2003.

billgoldberg
October 20th, 2008, 04:03 PM
War Games

Yuki_Nagato
October 20th, 2008, 04:04 PM
The first "Ghost in the Shell" movie. The second was only sub-par.

bonzodog
October 20th, 2008, 04:37 PM
Swordfish has to be one of the better ones. It stars John Travolta, Hugh Jackman, and Halle Berry.
Its fast paced, the computers are a little beyond imagination, but its definitely my favourite, followed closely by Sneakers, starring Robert Redford, and Dan Ackroyd.

After that comes Hackers, which is still a fun watch from time to time.

I also have The Matrix, not a bad film, and also Revolution OS, Pirates of Silicon Valley.

Not so much a hacking film, but definitely a geek movie is "Real Genius", starring a very young Val Kilmer.

I have all of these on DVD or on my system.

"The Net" never really appealed to me, and neither did "Anti-Trust".

talkingwires
October 20th, 2008, 06:11 PM
Jurassic Park.

"It's a Unix system! I know this!"

Paul41
October 20th, 2008, 06:22 PM
War Games

HockeyPlayer
October 20th, 2008, 06:43 PM
Can't believe it took so long to mention 'Swordfish'.

Tron and Wargames has to top my list, and stretching the thread title abit, 'So Close' - can't really class it as a pure Hacker movie though, but Shu Qi makes up for that ;-)

Thelasko
October 20th, 2008, 08:23 PM
My thoughts on a few Hacker movies:

Antitrust: I like brunettes, and this movie featured two of my favorites. Unfortunately the rest of the movie was god awful.

The Perfect Score: I liked the concept of the film (hacking the SAT), but the execution was horrible! The producers of the film had to go and get morals in the middle of a heist film. I rented this film and literally found myself throwing objects at my TV it was so bad.

Hackers: Old school campy fun

Hackers 2: They made a Hackers 2? Is this like Caddyshack 2, where everyone later denies that the film was ever made?

Die Hard 4: Just Die Already

Office Space: A classic

Swordfish: What the heck happened? I'm confused.

The Matrix: The first one is the only one worth watching.

The Pirates of Silicon Valley: A true hacker movie

The Net: I think I remember that one, Sandra Bullock, right?

Jurrasic Park: Awesome! I used to have my laptop say "ah ah ah, you didn't say the magic word!" when you entered the wrong password back in college.

Alas, I am a youngin, and I vaguely remember watching Tron and War Games as a kid. I should go out and rent them one of these days.

I don't know if I can count 2001: A Space Odyssey. Hal was cool and all, but the only hacking done was ripping out cards.

benny bronx
October 20th, 2008, 08:36 PM
How about "Brazil"? De Niro was a kind of a hacker in the future (No need to wait for the paperwork, I can do it).

Northsider
October 20th, 2008, 08:37 PM
Hackers...Love the movie

king.pest
October 20th, 2008, 10:05 PM
Wargames with its famous "shall we play a game?" and Hackers -- though a bit naive, gets +129409 points for Angelina Jolie.

handy
October 20th, 2008, 10:15 PM
Released on January 21, 2000 under supervision.
Released from supervision on January 21, 2003.

You beat me to it. :)

CorvisRex
October 20th, 2008, 10:33 PM

Really? I always thought that the movie, good as it was, was really just a promotion for the game. I mean, they had video games in the arcades less than a week after the movie came out.(yeah, I know, that REALLY dates me, seeing TRON in the theatre, and playing the game in an "Arcade") Ah, the 80's...

ezsit
October 20th, 2008, 11:21 PM
How about

Independence Day - hacking into the alien ship's computer and implanting a virus.

Enemy of the State - CIA/FBI tracking Will Smith via satellites.

Mission Impossible - All three movies use computer hacking

Golden Eye - Russian hackers!

LaRoza
October 20th, 2008, 11:23 PM
Independence Day - hacking into the alien ship's computer and implanting a virus.

They don't really hack. They just get physical access to and rely on the 100% compatibility of alien ship with their Apple computer (which, incidently, cannot run modern Apple software) and the total lack of security, coupled with the system call that shuts down the entire civilization.

solitaire
October 20th, 2008, 11:38 PM
Hm...

Does "Ghost in the Shell 1 & 2" count as a hacker movies ;)

crazyness003
October 20th, 2008, 11:55 PM
I thought the part where Bruce Willis beat up an airplane with his bare hands was particularly realistic.

bare hands?! Really?! He threw a rock or two.

Ripfox
October 21st, 2008, 05:19 AM
They don't really hack. They just get physical access to and rely on the 100% compatibility of alien ship with their Apple computer (which, incidently, cannot run modern Apple software) and the total lack of security, coupled with the system call that shuts down the entire civilization.

:lolflag::lolflag:
Oh and Rev OS doesn't really count b/c it's definately not fiction! ;)

handy
October 21st, 2008, 10:50 PM
As well as Revolution OS (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7707585592627775409)

These two are pretty good:

Pirates of Silicon Valley (http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=xflXMZL2stU)

Stever Wozniak taking about Pirates of Silicon Valley.
(http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=1lx9JsSTklI)

JT9161
October 21st, 2008, 10:52 PM
My thoughts on a few Hacker movies:

Hackers 2: They made a Hackers 2? Is this like Caddyshack 2, where everyone later denies that the film was ever made?.

Hackers 2 is really Operation Takedown and was only a spiritual sequel, A title it barely deserves in my opinion.