PDA

View Full Version : hi ubuntu community

calzo101
October 19th, 2008, 12:14 AM
I am just 12 years old and i already no we don't want a world with windows and Gates.

And thanks to all the people down in Linux who helped make abuntu possible.:KS

From your pal Calzo all the way from Scotland.

:guitar:

earthpigg
October 19th, 2008, 12:15 AM
i love these kind of threads.

hi, calzo101.

billgoldberg
October 19th, 2008, 12:15 AM
I am just 12 years old and i already no we don't want a world with windows and Gates.

And thanks to all the people down in Linux who helped make abuntu possible.:KS

From your pal Calzo all the way from Scotland.

:guitar:

Hi.

It's Ubuntu, not abuntu. :p

Welcome aboard.

(ps: please use proper punctuation and grammar when posting in the forums)

paul101
October 19th, 2008, 12:18 AM
i'm from scotland, also *waves* (cumbernauld)

siren73
October 19th, 2008, 12:20 AM
Hello Calzo, welcome to the Ubuntu community.:cool::cool::cool:

Have you got the Desktop cube working ???

Regards Siren73.

Dr Small
October 19th, 2008, 12:20 AM
Greetings.
Anyone else notice the recent flood of young kids joining and posting threads like this?

paul101
October 19th, 2008, 12:29 AM
Greetings.
Anyone else notice the recent flood of young kids joining and posting threads like this?

argh, its good for them, how? is it bothering you?

andras artois
October 19th, 2008, 12:31 AM
Greetings.

it progresses linux in general, don't even try to think of it as a bad thing, they're the ones that will be making the future of computing come true.

LaRoza
October 19th, 2008, 12:32 AM

We have over half a million members ;)

And you are a young kid as well. Get off my lawn (technically, we don't have a lawn, but you get the picture)

Dr Small
October 19th, 2008, 12:36 AM
is it bothering you?
Not in the least.

don't even try to think of it as a bad thing, they're the ones that will be making the future of computing come true.
Oh, I don't. I enjoy seeing young ones come to linux.

And you are a young kid as well. Get off my lawn (technically, we don't have a lawn, but you get the picture)
You aren't much older than me :p

andras artois
October 19th, 2008, 12:45 AM
good :) because i'm only 17 as it is.

so far ubuntu seems to be the best combination of stable and usability out of linux atm. I would love to try arch but, alas my linux knowledge is not adequate enough to install it or understand fully.

Marshal0505
October 19th, 2008, 12:48 AM
good :) because i'm only 17 as it is.

so far ubuntu seems to be the best combination of stable and usability out of linux atm. I would love to try arch but, alas my linux knowledge is not adequate enough to install it or understand fully.

This thread is making me smile :D
Wether you're going for Ubuntu or Archlinux, imo they're both great distro's, what suits you best at the time but keep an open mind about it , is my opinion.Currently on Arch and loving it

crazyness003
October 19th, 2008, 12:49 AM
Hey Calzo. Im not from Scotland. But i do wanna give you a good old fashion "WASSUP" from the US (or future North American Union (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_Union))

chucky chuckaluck
October 19th, 2008, 12:50 AM
look for the release of my distro for teenage girls: eeeeeewbuntu! it's sure to be waaaaaaaaaaaay cool!1

LaRoza
October 19th, 2008, 12:51 AM
You aren't much older than me :p

No, I am not. However, legally, I am in an entirely different league.

paul101
October 19th, 2008, 12:51 AM

we all know about that ;)

calzo101
October 19th, 2008, 01:00 AM
:KS:KS:KS

thanks guys! I am happy I joined Ubuntu. Sorry for the typo you know I really meant Ubuntu :(

Dr Small
October 19th, 2008, 01:15 AM

No need to get uppity about it ;) I'll be there myself in about 4 1/2 months.

MasterNetra
October 19th, 2008, 01:22 AM
Welcome to the community calzo101! Have a pleasent stay! :) :P

QwUo173Hy
October 19th, 2008, 02:40 AM
Hi Calzo! Welcome and I hope your experiences here are all good ones. :)

Zyphrexi
October 19th, 2008, 02:49 AM
kids learning linux is good stuff anyway. You learn a lot more about computers that way then linux. Granted Ubuntu isn't the greatest learning distro, the knowledge gained is still useful for years to come.

crazyness003
October 19th, 2008, 02:54 AM
...Granted Ubuntu isn't the greatest learning distro...

Interesting statement you have there. I'm not asking in a mischievous way, but what would be the best learning distro? Even tho i would consider myself an "intermediate-advanced computer user" and having "A Carafe of Ubuntu" under my belt, I still wanna know more- as does everyone else.

Dr Small
October 19th, 2008, 03:20 AM
Interesting statement you have there. I'm not asking in a mischievous way, but what would be the best learning distro? Even tho i would consider myself an "intermediate-advanced computer user" and having "A Carafe of Ubuntu" under my belt, I still wanna know more- as does everyone else.
Arch is the best learning distro, although it can't quite be considered the best beginner's distro ;)

EdThaSlayer
October 19th, 2008, 03:30 AM
Greetings young lad. How do thee do?

cardinals_fan
October 19th, 2008, 03:32 AM
Arch is the best learning distro, although it can't quite be considered the best beginner's distro ;)
I found Slackware much more educational. Arch is a good distro precisely because it is easy for the user.

chucky chuckaluck
October 19th, 2008, 03:41 AM
i don't get why people say arch is a learning distro. there are so many 'auto' choices in the installation, you can pretty much duck most of the 'learning'. (imagine my relief.)

LaRoza
October 19th, 2008, 03:43 AM
-a+u

MasterNetra
October 19th, 2008, 04:08 AM
Edubuntu theres a learning distro :P

Zyphrexi
October 19th, 2008, 06:56 PM
I found Slackware much more educational. Arch is a good distro precisely because it is easy for the user.

yeah, slack was the one that really helped me learn linux.

if I ever get around to it, i'd like to build a LFS (linux from scratch) system, sort of what I consider to be a linux mt everest.

kk0sse54
October 19th, 2008, 07:17 PM
Why all these kid threads? Am I supposed to feel pity, amazement ,or awe at the fact that they are younger than most people? I treat and respect everyone the same way on a faceless internet forum even if they are 60, 30, or 8. Sure it's great that they're using Linux at such a young age but don't forget to be a kid at the same time and always remember that there is a world outside of your computer.

cardinals_fan
October 19th, 2008, 10:23 PM
why all these kid threads? Am i supposed to feel pity, amazement ,or awe at the fact that they are younger than most people? I treat and respect everyone the same way on a faceless internet forum even if they are 60, 30, or 8. Sure it's great that they're using linux at such a young age but don't forget to be a kid at the same time and always remember that there is a world outside of your computer.
+1

crazyness003
October 19th, 2008, 10:38 PM
Why all these kid threads? Am I supposed to feel pity, amazement ,or awe at the fact that they are younger than most people? I treat and respect everyone the same way on a faceless internet forum even if they are 60, 30, or 8. Sure it's great that they're using Linux at such a young age but don't forget to be a kid at the same time and always remember that there is a world outside of your computer.

Its just nice to make a good first impression. I remember my first post. I was a TOTAL n00b. And a lot of people helped me get my feet wet. Hot to ask questions mainly and how not to expect Linux to be windows...and it worked!

Its not just for kids or senior, its for everyone.

and yeah, a little amazement is due since he could be doing something else, less productive.