PDA

View Full Version : look! a n00b!

razerbug
October 18th, 2008, 09:23 PM
Hello all I'm new. To the forum and to Linux/ubuntu

I'm a very happy Vista user (it's great when you turn the "treat me like an idiot" setting off) a very unhappy Mac user (cause it sucks... apple sells a lifestyle choice not a computer) and, because we use it at work, an impressed Ubuntu Studio user :)

Took some setting up, and needed help from the linux boffins at work to get wireless and touch pad working well, but I have to say im pretty impressed with ubuntu! If I had seen this when I was using XP I would probably have switched sooner... got a AWN dock, rockin' a nice dark glass theme and getting used to using terminals to do stuff with as well.

best of all it runs off a removable HDD so I can take my linuxbox with me where ever I go.

so yeah, hello one and all, greeting from London UK

MunkyJunky
October 18th, 2008, 09:26 PM
best of all it runs off a removable HDD so I can take my linuxbox with me where ever I go.

Why did I not think of that?! Time to install Ubuntu to my pendrive!

Also, EEEEYY! </fonz>

chris4585
October 18th, 2008, 09:30 PM
welcome /home :lolflag:

Giant Speck
October 18th, 2008, 09:30 PM
Oh, God. A n00b! Kill it! Kill it with fire!

Just kidding. Welcome to the forums!

-grubby
October 18th, 2008, 09:32 PM
Hey razerbug! Good luck with ubuntu :)!

Dr Small
October 18th, 2008, 09:33 PM
apple sells a lifestyle choice not a computer)

Linux is a lifestyle too. Welcome aboard :)

earthpigg
October 18th, 2008, 09:36 PM
glad it's workin out for ya.

mind if i ask what company / what type of company you work for that uses it?

Sisteroot
October 18th, 2008, 09:38 PM
welcome!
you chose a right way. ;-)

paul101
October 18th, 2008, 09:38 PM
good luck and may sudo be with you!

Liv3dN8as
October 18th, 2008, 09:39 PM
best of all it runs off a removable HDD so I can take my linuxbox with me where ever I go.Isn't that awesome! I use to do this at school. No need for a laptop when you have your own pc on a portable HD.
Welcome!

Kernel Sanders
October 18th, 2008, 09:40 PM
OMG A N00B!!!111oneoneone *points* :shock:

Welcome! :KS

razerbug
October 18th, 2008, 10:02 PM
glad it's workin out for ya.

mind if i ask what company / what type of company you work for that uses it?

I work for a VFX company doing effects for movies - historically the industry used silicon graphics machines, as linux evolved things moved onto that from the unix based SGs

we also use PC's (mainly XP annoyingly) and, because there are iHumans all over the creative industries who belive apples bs we've also got Mac's

So because we run all 3 OS's at work, I decided to run them at home... got a laptop and a desktop/home editing sute running customized versions of Vista, laptop becomes my Linux box which I'm using for everyday things (cause it's a good way to learn) and my desktop dual boots as a Hackintosh

Still a PC man at heart though - can't get CS3/4 for Linux for a start

razerbug
October 18th, 2008, 10:22 PM
Linux is a lifestyle too. Welcome aboard :)

no computer, MP3 player, or Phone can define who you are, despite the adverts :P

remember people, your can't buy a life, you just have to get one.

Angie3641
October 18th, 2008, 10:35 PM
I also use Vista but I've never used Linux.

P.S. I'm a noob, too. Green coffee beans? Sounds kinda tasty. :D

razerbug
October 18th, 2008, 11:07 PM
I also use Vista but I've never used Linux.

P.S. I'm a noob, too. Green coffee beans? Sounds kinda tasty. :D

Well hello to someone who dosn't hate Microsoft just because...

having said that not sure why someone who dosn't use ubuntu would join the forum... but hay! takes all sorts, hello dude. :)

KayleL
October 19th, 2008, 02:20 AM
I am a Linux noob too.I would have to agree that macs are very overrated, but it does have some of the best software such as Final cut, Shack, Logic, etc.

:KS

Zyphrexi
October 19th, 2008, 02:41 AM
z0mg a n00b!!

greetz d00d

EDIT: I've found linux utilizes my hardware more effectively than windows. Funnily enough there are a few windows games that run better on linux (through wine) than on vista. Morrowind is nigh unplayable on vista, but fantastic on wine. (after a few easy reg tweaks)

gutsy08
October 20th, 2008, 06:28 PM
Hallo, I r noob too. :)

Isn't that awesome! I use to do this at school. No need for a laptop when you have your own pc on a portable HD.
Welcome!

By the way, how do you set up your Ubuntu install on a USB drive? I've been trying the persistent Ubuntu 8.10 guide at pendrivelinux.com , but not sure how to manage disk swap when I do this.