PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Problem when checking for updates

anncabana
October 18th, 2008, 09:04 PM
Two days ago, my computer ran updates, and that's when problems started occurring. The other day it claimed I had new updates, but now it says there was a problem when checking for them. I've tried running updates in the terminal, but it just responded with "segmentation faulty tree 50%". How do I get these updates to run and get my computer back to normal?

forger
October 18th, 2008, 09:15 PM
type this in Applications > Accessories > Terminal:

uname -a
lsb_release -a
sudo apt-get -f install
sudo apt-get update

Post back with the full output :)

anncabana
October 19th, 2008, 06:12 AM
I tried what you said and it said no LSB modules are available, the segmentation faulty tree still only went to 50%, and even after running sudo apt-get update, it didn't fix anything. :( It won't let me run any updates without randomly closing on its own. Any other ideas??

Partyboi2
October 19th, 2008, 11:48 AM
Try removing the /var/cache/apt/*.bin files or rename them to file.bin.old (change file to actual name) then run
sudo apt-get update afterwards, this should regenerate the files.

anncabana
October 19th, 2008, 06:54 PM
Where do I find these files that need to be changed? I'm completely clueless when it comes to Ubuntu!

anncabana
October 19th, 2008, 07:06 PM
Where do I find these files that need to be changed? I'm completely clueless when it comes to Ubuntu!

Partyboi2
October 20th, 2008, 05:12 AM
Press Alt+F2 and in the box that opens type

gksu nautilus /var/cache/apt you will see a couple of files that end in .bin right click on them and rename them to something else eg .file.bin to file.bin.old. After you have made the changes open a terminal (Applications>Accessories>Terminal) and type
sudo apt-get update

anncabana
October 21st, 2008, 08:04 PM
Thank you so much! I was able to get my updates after renaming those files.

Partyboi2
October 21st, 2008, 11:11 PM
Thank you so much! I was able to get my updates after renaming those files.
Your welcome :)