PDA

View Full Version : Would you take tech advice from this guy?

cardinals_fan
October 18th, 2008, 08:53 PM
Look at this web page (http://www.marydonovan.com/tecbud/). Would you take advice from someone who created that monstrosity?

It belongs to Bill Husted, one of the most commonly published tech advice columnists in the US.

pp.
October 18th, 2008, 08:56 PM
What do you expect of someone who can not even spell his email address properly? Presumably should read busted@bellsouth.net but is given as bhusted@bellsouth.net

:)

koenn
October 18th, 2008, 09:40 PM
Look at this web page (http://www.marydonovan.com/tecbud/). Would you take advice from someone who created that monstrosity?

It belongs to Bill Husted, one of the most commonly published tech advice columnists in the US.

Apart from a few gratuitous animated gifs, what's wrong with that site ?
And why would a (perceived) lack of web design skills have any bearing on the value of his tech advice ?

Kernel Sanders
October 18th, 2008, 09:40 PM
Looks like a geocities page. EPIC FAIL.

Dr Small
October 18th, 2008, 09:42 PM
Apart from a few gratuitous animated gifs, what's wrong with that site ?
And why would a (perceived) lack of web design skills have any bearing on the value of his tech advice ?
It isn't only his web-design. Take a look at his source too, while you are there.

paul101
October 18th, 2008, 09:44 PM
i like it, other sites are over-designed in comparison

Sisteroot
October 18th, 2008, 09:45 PM
omg ](*,)

lisati
October 18th, 2008, 09:47 PM
Looks like a geocities page. EPIC FAIL.
I think I'll hush my mouth and not point out a couple of my efforts (guess where!)

It is possible to throw together a basic page with Open Office and upload it to Geocities, you're not limited to the tools that Geocities make available for noobs (which seem to make the underlying source unnecessarily bloated)

saj0577
October 18th, 2008, 09:50 PM
What do you expect of someone who can not even spell his email address properly? Presumably should read busted@bellsouth.net but is given as bhusted@bellsouth.net

:)

I think the bhusted is for his name. Read his name again Mr B. Husted :)

Saj

saulgoode
October 18th, 2008, 09:53 PM
i like it, other sites are over-designed in comparison

I agree.

MasterNetra
October 18th, 2008, 09:55 PM
Yea really just because he didn't create it as a fancy well made site doesn't mean he is bad at computers. As for the spelling of email address it could simply be a typo i mean what he was missing one letter? Give the guy a break, no one is perfect after all.

billgoldberg
October 18th, 2008, 09:59 PM
The site looks horrible and the text isn't written in a decent way.

The html code sucks.

I wouldn't take advice from a "tech guy" who cant slap together a half decent site.

If he doesn't have the time to create one from scratch, at least modify a template or something.

steeleyuk
October 18th, 2008, 10:07 PM
I think the bhusted is for his name. Read his name again Mr B. Husted :)

Saj

I was thinking the same thing...

His wife must have asked him to design her site, its not much better.

earthpigg
October 18th, 2008, 10:35 PM

dont be so mean, cardinal. he finished chapter 1 of HTML For Dummies and is working on chapter two as we speak.

he will get to chapter three eventually, and then his site will be blessed with HTML frames and we can all be happy.

paul101
October 18th, 2008, 10:40 PM
i'm the only one that has said good about his site

eragon100
October 18th, 2008, 10:49 PM
It sucked so much I spent about 1 second on it, them screamed and ran away ](*,)

dracule
October 18th, 2008, 10:56 PM
it just makes him look unprofessional.

I mean if he doesnt even care enough to make his site look like it is from this decade, at least he could have paid a guy $20 to make a site 1000x better than that.

I mean that is like working in the fasion world and then wearing unfasionable clothes when giving out fasion advice.

earthpigg
October 18th, 2008, 10:58 PM
^ that ^

-grubby
October 18th, 2008, 11:01 PM
Oh god

/me smashes head against burning grill

paul101
October 18th, 2008, 11:01 PM
he could pay me

i'm £35 an hour

koenn
October 18th, 2008, 11:02 PM

tech advice ? it's tips for the average Windows home user, from the looks of it, and they're published on a general news site. But I suppose calling it "tech advice" made for a more interesting contrast in your post ...