PDA

View Full Version : Thnking about getting a new pc

eragon100
October 18th, 2008, 08:51 PM
I want an even faster pc, so I am thinking about building:

- intel core 2 quad @ 3.0 GHZ

- 16 GB (4 X 4) GB of 1333 Mhz DDR3 RAM

- 3 896 MB GeForce GTX 280 video card in triple-way SLI.

- 2 TB hard drive space

Should run great!

Would be nice, huh? but I don't have the money :(

pp.
October 18th, 2008, 08:53 PM
Are thinking about running a spelling checker on that machine?

:lolflag:

cardinals_fan
October 18th, 2008, 08:56 PM
Why would you possibly need that?! Are you trying to decode the human genome in your spare time (between rounds of solitaire)?

eragon100
October 18th, 2008, 09:12 PM
Why would you possibly need that?! Are you trying to decode the human genome in your spare time (between rounds of solitaire)?

1. I might dualboot with vista (joking, I am not going to commit harikiri :))

2. To play enemy territory quake wars with maximum possible settings at 1920 x 1200 res with FSAA etc at 16x.

3. Because I don't want to upgrade it for at least 2 years, and in 2 years, such a system will be required.

Maratonda
October 18th, 2008, 09:25 PM
I'm not an expert on CPU, but why don't you wait for intel i7 to come out in November?

cardinals_fan
October 18th, 2008, 09:25 PM
3. Because I don't want to upgrade it for at least 2 years, and in 2 years, such a system will be required.
Required by what? The government?

Lord Xeb
October 18th, 2008, 09:37 PM
I recommend you getting everything but 2 of the cards and 14 of the 16GB of ram you want. Then go from there.

Lord Xeb
October 18th, 2008, 09:55 PM
Dude, you do not need that much ram. You will be just fine for about 4-5 years with your system. Here is what I have put together from what you have told us.

earthpigg
October 19th, 2008, 03:19 AM
Required by what? The government?

by microsoft to run their latest OS, of course.

MasterNetra
October 19th, 2008, 03:21 AM

+1 to Earthpigg :P

TheSlipstream
October 19th, 2008, 03:42 AM
Put it in a strategic position with inadequate cooling to use as a heater for your house. Also, the fact that you think you need three 280s and 16 gigs of RAM makes me laugh. So hard. Even a Quad Core is overkill.

Why don't you try to shake the Windows mentality of needing uber-hardware for light gaming and internet surfing? Btw, that computer would take about...5000 to 6000 dollars to build (and then you need a 30 inch monitor, another 1500) and drive up your power bill dramatically.

Whiffle
October 19th, 2008, 03:51 AM
I'm too poor to play games. I just watch youtube videos of other people playing games... *sniffle*

aschwerin.moses
October 19th, 2008, 03:57 AM
aweeeeesome :D

aschwerin.moses
October 19th, 2008, 03:58 AM
aweeeesome :D

forger
October 19th, 2008, 04:02 AM
um.. here's a suggestion, since you don't have the money:
- Get the motherboard and the processor and 4GB of memory
- Get a 500GB (or even 300GB for start) hard disk.
- Get the nvidia card you want (or use a motherboard with an on board graphics card for now)
- Get a decent 450-500W power supply/tower case :)

This should dramatically reduce the cost and the machine's specs/features, but you can build on top of that

eragon100
October 20th, 2008, 01:07 PM
Put it in a strategic position with inadequate cooling to use as a heater for your house. Also, the fact that you think you need three 280s and 16 gigs of RAM makes me laugh. So hard. Even a Quad Core is overkill.

Why don't you try to shake the Windows mentality of needing uber-hardware for light gaming and internet surfing? Btw, that computer would take about...5000 to 6000 dollars to build (and then you need a 30 inch monitor, another 1500) and drive up your power bill dramatically.

I know I don't need it... now. But I want to still be able to play the very latest games on the maximnum possible settings and resolution in 4 years :wink:

JohnFH
October 20th, 2008, 01:25 PM
That's like saying I want 7 Ferraris, one for each day of the week. I know I don't need them, but I want them. Yeah I know I work next door, but I like Ferraris cos they're fast. Yeah I know I can't drive yet, but I hope to learn one day. Yeah I know I don't have the space for them, but I really want them.

Canis familiaris
October 20th, 2008, 01:31 PM
I know I don't need it... now. But I want to still be able to play the very latest games on the maximnum possible settings and resolution in 4 years :wink:

Unpossible...
No matter how high end PC you buy, it only takes a year to be mid range and another to be low end for games that is. Your current PC config is awesome already IMO.
BTW if you are indeed going for the new PC - I would ask:
Can I has your "old" PC? :D

kaldor
October 20th, 2008, 01:42 PM
That is a good idea, but would that not be a bit pricey?

Also, 2 TB of space??

I can get along with downloads and such with just 50 GB.

I have 200 gigs on this partition (my main one) and I still have 156 gigs left (I have games, music, lots of apps, etc installed)

I would say 1 TB is alright... but 2 TB? You would never use that all up (unless you download things a LOT)

The 16 GB of RAM is overdoing it. I have 2 GB of RAM and my laptop is lightning fast always. Reduce it to 8, or even 10 and you should be fine.

Think about it: This may look perfect and advanced now. How do you know that in 2 years your computer may be outdated, or you may need a new one anyway for other reasons?

When I get a computer, it tends to last me a few years; and that is without all of the fancy stuff.

My laptop is perfect. I have no complaints at all. 250 GB HD, 2 GB RAM, Geforce 8400 video card, etc etc. I will not need to update this until a few years.

I find that once I get a computer, it lasts me a long time.

Good thinking though. Go for a Mac or a Linux PC and it will last longer. Don't go for Windows unless you need to.