PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] 8.10 - Will it be a normal upgrade?

dazzlindonna
October 18th, 2008, 08:27 PM
Coming from a newb whose first foray into ubuntu was installing 8.04, I've obviously never been in the situation of upgrading to a new major release. So, my question is this: When 8.10 ibex is released (final version), will this be something that will just automatically update via the daily Update Manager process? Or do I need to make a conscious effort to obtain it and install from cd or something like that?

Sisteroot
October 18th, 2008, 08:37 PM
it will ask you for upgrade via the daily Update Manager process i think

OrangeCrate
October 18th, 2008, 08:38 PM
it will ask you for upgrade via the daily Update Manager process i think

That's correct. When available, you'll see it at the top of the Update Manager dialog.

Elfy
October 18th, 2008, 08:42 PM
But I would ignore it to start with as everyone else will be having the same message :)

tugh
October 18th, 2008, 08:43 PM
You can do both. Basically, when the time comes, you will see a button on your Update Manager to upgrade your system to 8.10. However, my recommendation is to go to ubuntu.com, download the installation file (ISO file), burn it to a CD and install it from there because:
1 - It's way slower to install it through the Upgrade button
2 - If something goes wrong during the installation, you can still use your CD to re-install.

You can also submit your request at ubuntu.com so they can send you a free CD, which may take sometime though.

Make sure you backup your files before the installation. The last time I upgraded from 7.10 to 8.04, it crashed my laptop so I used my CD to go back to 7.10. Hopefully, 8.10 will be more stable than 8.04.

dazzlindonna
October 18th, 2008, 08:55 PM
Ah, gotcha, so it will be a huge download. Had forgotten how big it is which was why I'd ordered a cd in the first place when I installed 8.04. (My satellite provider has a bandwidth cap). Ok, so I think I'll just go ahead and pre-order a cd now so I'll have it soon after it's ready. Thanks, everyone.