PDA

View Full Version : Giving Linux Another Shot

Ted_Smith
November 26th, 2005, 02:10 AM
Bonjour fello Linux'ers

OK, been a Windows user for about 15 years, started out with MS-DOS when I was a young teen.

First started to mess about with Linux about 2 years ago, and although I really loved the idea of using Linux (cause I thought it was kinda cool and I was worried about secuirty with Windows) the practicality of using it for every day domestic computing was too much trouble for me because everything seemed to cause me bother. For example, getting Linux to see my PCI ADSL Broadband Modem. I just coudln't do it, and the net was important to me. I have a wife, dogs, and work a normal office day and didn't have time to spend 2 hours working out how to upgrade my graphics card driver, and 2 days trying to configure a modem (but I have a router now anyway!).

So I gave up for a while. But more recently I heard about Ubuntu. And I started to read up on Linux again, and I've kinda got the bug again.

So, tomorrow I'm gonna try installing it, and see how I get on. Who knows, maybe this time will be my time with Linux! Fingers crossed.

Ted

KiwiNZ
November 26th, 2005, 02:14 AM
Hope it goes well for you and remember there is lots of friendly help available here .

And welcome aboard

Malphas
November 26th, 2005, 02:16 AM
Linux keeps improving, just keep checking in once in a while. It's not at the stage where I can use it for everyday use either, but that's due to third party support rather than the OS itself.

Inition
November 26th, 2005, 04:36 AM
Pretty much exactly what happened to me. I stumbled into using linux again when I stumbled onto the Ubuntu site with StumbleUpon!

Texdude
November 26th, 2005, 07:35 AM
I have a spindle full of different distros that I have downloaded and installed. Ubuntu is another step towards moving on from windows. It suffers from the same issues that most linux distros do in that a relatively simple component ends up being a day-long chore of searching for software that from a windows POV, is mostly a non-issue (SOUND comes to mind!). But I think it's a great distro and I am enjoying using it and look forward to the next version!

aysiu
November 26th, 2005, 07:38 AM
It suffers from the same issues that most linux distros do in that a relatively simple component ends up being a day-long chore of searching for software that from a windows POV, is mostly a non-issue (SOUND comes to mind!). I'm glad sound was a non-issue for you in Windows. It was a huge issue for me in Windows, and I couldn't find the correct driver for the longest time. Ubuntu (and every other Linux distro I tried) had sound right out of the box.

Sound also (for some strange reason) tends to work conveniently well on computers for which the operating system is preinstalled.

`GooZ´
November 26th, 2005, 04:48 PM
Welcome! Remember that all the support you need is right here in the forums! :-) I think you will like Ubuntu because it's not that much of a setup system compared to other l'ux distros.

Texdude
November 26th, 2005, 04:53 PM
Sound also (for some strange reason) tends to work conveniently well on computers for which the operating system is preinstalled.

Yes I suppose it does. However in all the windows installations I've done, the sound usually works. Also wireless networking is another area where linux needs alot of work.

But like I said, I like Ubuntu and I'm looking forward to the time when I don't have issues like these.