PDA

View Full Version : Beyond Compare (diff tool)

Jeff Johnston
October 18th, 2008, 04:58 AM
I just wanted to get the word out about a really great visual diff tool called Beyond Compare. I had been using it for years when I was using Windows at work. For the last year I have been using Ubuntu Linux at work now and the only tool I missed was Beyond Compare. It was actually good timing because I knew they were coming out with Linux support with version 3 and now its finally here :).

I know there are some good open source tools out there and this is really the first thing I can remember buying for years, but for me it was well worth it.

I imagine it sounds like I work for the company, but I really don't. I just really love Beyond Compare.

It is $30-$50 dollars (depending on standard or pro) but its a good price for what you get.

http://www.scootersoftware.com/

-Jeff Johnston

toupeiro
October 18th, 2008, 09:12 AM
I just wanted to get the word out about a really great visual diff tool called Beyond Compare. I had been using it for years when I was using Windows at work. For the last year I have been using Ubuntu Linux at work now and the only tool I missed was Beyond Compare. It was actually good timing because I knew they were coming out with Linux support with version 3 and now its finally here :).

I know there are some good open source tools out there and this is really the first thing I can remember buying for years, but for me it was well worth it.

I imagine it sounds like I work for the company, but I really don't. I just really love Beyond Compare.

It is $30-$50 dollars (depending on standard or pro) but its a good price for what you get.

http://www.scootersoftware.com/

-Jeff Johnston

Beyond compare was/is a GREAT tool! I remember using it back in the NT 4.0 days when I was doing script based unattended OS installs. I've since found Meld for Linux (in the repos) which is a whole lot like beyond compare, but I think it has a few things about it that were implemented a bit better IMO, at least better than the versions of B.C. that I remember. If you haven't seen it yet, you might pull it down and let me know what you think.

Nice to hear from someone else who got a lot of use out of this tool! :-)

-T.

Jeff Johnston
October 18th, 2008, 02:12 PM
I like Meld as well. It was my Linux tool of choice...at least until I was able to get Beyond Compare for Linux. For awhile I tried using Beyond Compare with Wine but it just wasn't the same experience.