PDA

View Full Version : Touch Typing

gletob
October 18th, 2008, 02:12 AM
I'm currently learning how to touch type and it's really increased my typing speed. My question is can you touch type?

Kingsley
October 18th, 2008, 02:14 AM
Yes. It's one of the few good things that resulted from me chatting and playing online games during my pre-teen and early teen years.

cardinals_fan
October 18th, 2008, 02:15 AM
Certainly.

brunovecchi
October 18th, 2008, 02:27 AM
I highly recommend everyone to learn how to touch type. It's a real time saver.

rzrgenesys187
October 18th, 2008, 02:29 AM
Didn't realize there was a name for this, I actually had to google it. I can't imagine any other way of typing

LaRoza
October 18th, 2008, 02:51 AM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=922552

kool_kat_os
October 18th, 2008, 03:01 AM
I can...the middle school that I used to go to had a class that thought us...

Izek
October 18th, 2008, 03:13 AM
I can usually do it without having to rely on the home row or anything. Since I've hunted and pecked for ages, I can usually touch type without much hassle and without using a goofy standard.

*shrugs* Maybe I've just learned the default qwertyuiop keyboard layout?

niccholaspage
October 18th, 2008, 03:50 AM
I always touch type. I think I am too lazy to see what key I would be pressing on my keyboard. I have no idea how I learned to touch type. It just came to me somehow...

Jim!
October 18th, 2008, 04:00 AM
Yes.

NovaAesa
October 18th, 2008, 06:37 AM
I touch type with Dvorak, hunt and peck with QWERTY.

chucky chuckaluck
October 18th, 2008, 06:47 AM
i used to, but i made the mistake of looking one day. i'm trying to force myself not to look again. the big problem is that i learned to touch type later than i should have and i only learned the letters. i'm king poopie-pantz with a mouse, though.

der_joachim
October 18th, 2008, 09:06 AM

+1

I learned dvorak 18 months ago and since it is virtually impossible to get a dvorak layout on a laptop, I had to learn touch typing.

Ub1476
October 18th, 2008, 10:37 AM
Yep, never practiced though.

BGrigg
October 18th, 2008, 11:08 AM
Touch typist since high school (longer ago than most people here have been alive). Learned on an ancient Olivetti manual typewriter, the kind with the return bar, no delete button on that! Moving to an IBM Selectric was like typing in hyperspace.

rax_m
October 18th, 2008, 11:20 AM
I used to "hunt and peck" but then worked on a project where I had to do so much (like type and talk at the same time) that I had to learn to type faster. So kind of learned on my own.

conehead77
October 18th, 2008, 11:28 AM

Same here. Im impressed how many people really do touchtype.

sanderella
October 18th, 2008, 02:45 PM
I learned in the 1960s. :) It was the old asdf;lkj and so on. We had Imperial typewriters, and if you made a typo you had to try to rub it out with a special hard rubber. Much easier nowadays with delete keys!!! Typing while not looking at the keyboard is automatic for me, but trickier on the laptop.:KS

tdrusk
October 18th, 2008, 02:52 PM
Yep. They taught us at school by making us cover our hands with a manila folder.

LaRoza
October 18th, 2008, 05:21 PM
Yep. They taught us at school by making us cover our hands with a manila folder.

Back in my day, they cut your fingers off if you looked. (Eye gouging was for when you ran out of fingers).

Seriously, I didn't learn in school. Typing dumb stuff is not comparable to typing in reality and programming.

Although that class in middle school did try to discourage looking (the teacher would mix the keys up on the typewriters)

razerbug
October 19th, 2008, 12:14 AM
I can touch type - but I never learnt... was never taught... I don't keep my fingures in the set position and, weiredly, I can't if I realise I'm doing it (which makes this thread hard)

for me it's built into muscel memory, like riding a bike, I don't know I'm doing it, but if I realise I am I end up looking at the keys again.

I also spell better when I touch type: I'm dyslexic so my language center isn't brilliant, but my repeated movement part of my brain works great, so I spell things by the pattern of finger movements rather than by how the letters make up the word, the keyboard becomes shapes to me like the WAS triangle etc

but like I say as soon as I realise I'm doing it - I start looking at the keyboard again :-s

EdThaSlayer
October 19th, 2008, 05:35 AM
Yes, I touch type. But the amazing thing is that I touch type using the dvorak layout. :)

dracule
October 19th, 2008, 05:36 AM
middle school forced me to touch type.

steveneddy
October 19th, 2008, 05:37 AM
...but only if I look at my fingers.

dracule
October 19th, 2008, 05:46 AM
Yes, I touch type. But the amazing thing is that I touch type using the dvorak layout. :)

what would be the point of dvorak if you couldnt touch type?

reacocard
October 19th, 2008, 06:40 AM
I can't. Tried to learn a number of time but I've never been able to. Still I'm pretty fast at typing despite that, as long as I can see the keyboard and don't have to use any modifier keys (go vim!).

majabl
October 19th, 2008, 08:47 AM
I can type without looking at which keys my fingers are over, but I wouldn't describe myself as a touch typist because I don't do this in the 'proper' way (using the home keys, etc.). I reckon I use maybe seven of my fingers (all of my left hand and just my index finger on my right hand - oh, the ring finger too for hitting [Enter]).

I plan to learn to learn the conventional touch-typing method some day, but, as with many things, it's a case of getting around to it!

Dragonbite
October 20th, 2008, 02:30 PM
Typing was an elected class in High School and I'm glad I took it.

I take my laptop with me to computer club meetings because I can type quicker than I can write so I use the laptop to take notes.

I love people's reactions sometimes when I get into a groove and start typing at full speed!

Oh, and a good keyboard definitely helps.

elmer_42
October 20th, 2008, 02:32 PM
It's one of the few good things that resulted from me chatting and playing online games during my pre-teen and early teen years.
What this guy said. When I took a typing class in seventh grade, I was already typing 55WPM. Now I can type 70-80 depending on how hard I am concentrating and if I know which words I am going to type.

EnGorDiaz
October 20th, 2008, 02:33 PM
i do it half the time and i dont even notice it

SuperSonic4
October 20th, 2008, 02:36 PM
For the most part yeah, although I tend to make some dramatic mistakes lol

etdsbastar
October 20th, 2008, 02:37 PM
Hey Friends,

I can make touch typing with complete blind folded with complete formatting settings.

Just think,

Practice makes man perfect...

Bye