PDA

View Full Version : Any C++ Software That Teaches You As You Go?

seuzy13
October 18th, 2008, 01:37 AM
I have found that learning C++ from books can be tiresome and monotonous, and I can't seem to get past object-orient programming and pointers when I use books. It's not that I don't understand the concepts, but it's just difficult to learn from books. Does anyone know any kind of software that teaches you C++? Perhaps something that doubles as an IDE? This seems like a really simple idea, but I can't seem to find anything like it via Google and Sourceforge searches. If there isn't really anything like this, can you recommend any really easy to understand and productive IDEs? I've been using Code::blocks. Do you think that is a good choice?

Thanks!

snova
October 18th, 2008, 02:00 AM
There is no such thing.

Code::Blocks is fine... I use all kinds of things, depending on what I haven't tinkered with in the longest time. KDevelop, NetBeans, Eclipse, or nothing but an editor works for me. That's a reminder to try codeblocks again, thanks for that.

mssever
October 18th, 2008, 02:05 AM
Does anyone know any kind of software that teaches you C++? Perhaps something that doubles as an IDE? This seems like a really simple idea, but I can't seem to find anything like it via Google and Sourceforge searches.
That would be difficult to do with C++, since it's a complex, non-dynamic language. For Ruby, there's Try Ruby (http://tryruby.hobix.com/). Is that the kind of thing you're looking for, but for C++?

seuzy13
October 18th, 2008, 06:23 PM
That's pretty nice, and something roughly along the lines of what I was thinking of. (It wouldn't necessarily have to be in browser, or have you type simple commands line by line.) The problem is that I have no interest in Ruby.

I don't see why it would be difficult to do with C++. I understand that it couldn't work interactively--one line at a time--like Try Ruby, but it seems like such a thing would exist. Is there anything like this for Python perhaps, if not for C++?

mssever
October 19th, 2008, 01:53 AM
Is there anything like this for Python perhaps, if not for C++?I don't know of anything quite like that for any language other than Ruby, but an interesting way to learn Python if you enjoy solving puzzles is pythonchallenge.com. There are also good programming tasks at challenge-you.com that can generally be solved in any language (though most of them lend themselves more naturally to dynamic languages).

hessiess
October 19th, 2008, 09:38 AM
Thick of a program that would be useful to you, and requires pointers or object orientated techniques and learn the details as you go?

IDE's... just use Vim:)

seuzy13
October 19th, 2008, 09:55 PM
Those are some good links, thanks. :) None of them are what I was hoping for, but it's something.

I should try working more with Vim, you're right. I was hoping to work my way into that (started with an easy IDE), but maybe it would be funner that way. Or more fun. Whichever is correct.

Some of the excercises in my book are either useless programs (calculate the payroll for employees Bob and Sue--you get the idea) or are kind of difficult to write with what I have learned up to that point in the book. Most of them are kind of boring come to think of it, and whenever I take a brief break from programming, it's like I have to start over because I've forgotten some of the terms and syntax. Really frustrating, and I'm not getting anywhere fast. Maybe I just need a better book or what? =/

mssever
October 19th, 2008, 10:29 PM
You might find Python easier to start with. It's got a lot less syntax to worry about. You can learn the basic parts of programming easier.